Real E-Mail Addresses

Joey_M

Can I ask what do you mean by "real" email addresses?  

I'm pretty sure anyone can sign up for a free Outlook / Yahoo / Google account for a "real" email address in less time than it takes for me to finish writing this post, which means that you will never be able to ensure the veracity of your member's information unless you want to proceed with manual identification (such as government ID).  

The same problem occurs when clients request "real" first and last names in registration ... someone can simply enter Bob Raykivich and that's no more or less truthful than a username like BoomerangBob24.

Can I ask what do you mean by "real" email addresses?  

I'm pretty sure anyone can sign up for a free Outlook / Yahoo / Google account for a "real" email address in less time than it takes for me to finish writing this post, which means that you will never be able to ensure the veracity of your member's information unless you want to proceed with manual identification (such as government ID).  

The same problem occurs when clients request "real" first and last names in registration ... someone can simply enter Bob Raykivich and that's no more or less truthful than a username like BoomerangBob24.

whatever@something.com

IP.Board used to confirm the address did exist, I also recall manually adding one - I believe by coder called Vinny/VJ (or something like that). It's strange how many people join using a false address these days, although to some degree it says how much they may be interested.

Archived