Invite System

probably but in the end that user will eventually use his real ip when he got his real account registered and thinks he is safe. using proxy ip isnt always the best because how slow the site are and if they are using vpn its probably gonna be temporary due to subscrption. not possible to have it detect ip when user logs in and have the accoutn flagged or perhaps this is another idea for a new plugin

Edited by maidos
Just now, maidos said:

probably but in the end that user will eventually use his real ip when he got his real account registered and thinks he is safe. using proxy ip isnt always the best because how slow the site are and if they are using vpn its probably gonna be temporary due to subscrption.

Exacly... and that's why I think this is more something to be moderated rather than avoided.

9 hours ago, Safety1st said:

It is better 'indicator' than posts count.

I disagree. Reputation points can easily be cheated. User can create accounts just to give reps or can have their buddies giving reps in useless things all the time.

Increment user post count can be controlled by the admin. He can, for example, disable it in off-topic forums, or even make it require approval to see if it worths to be approved, and then added to the post count.

Edited by Adriano Faria

have you fixed the smtp email issue? im using sparkpost and none of my members can receive emails but sending email test works so the issue is still with this bug from invite app. sparkpost is a free email service so you can register and try it yourself.

As soon as i choose php email, ppl can receive email invitation :/

30 minutes ago, maidos said:

have you fixed the smtp email issue? im using sparkpost and none of my members can receive emails but sending email test works so the issue is still with this bug from invite app. sparkpost is a free email service so you can register and try it yourself.

As soon as i choose php email, ppl can receive email invitation :/

Tested SMTP through Mandrill and worked fine. Lwt me check again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't of a way to circumvent the invite system and register a new account with no invite.  Other site owners will want to be aware of this too.  I apologize if this has been discussed already.  I'm in a bit of a rush but wanted to quickly drop a line here.

If you have Google sign-in enabled on your site, a new user can register an account without an invitation code.  I ran into this 2 days ago and today was trying to figure out how they registered.  When I went to register a test account through google sign in, sure enough it registered me and logged me in right away.

I imagine this may be the case with other login handlers but only had google enabled on my site.  I've since disabled the google handler.

18 minutes ago, pilotguy said:

Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't of a way to circumvent the invite system and register a new account with no invite.  Other site owners will want to be aware of this too.  I apologize if this has been discussed already.  I'm in a bit of a rush but wanted to quickly drop a line here.

If you have Google sign-in enabled on your site, a new user can register an account without an invitation code.  I ran into this 2 days ago and today was trying to figure out how they registered.  When I went to register a test account through google sign in, sure enough it registered me and logged me in right away.

I imagine this may be the case with other login handlers but only had google enabled on my site.  I've since disabled the google handler.

This app extends the registration screen. People that comes from social networks DO NOT use registration screen. So it is working as it should, as it was designed to work.

This is in that list of suggestions so IF it's doable, I'll do it.

EDIT: not possible right now:

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 2 weeks later...

i want to revisit my previous suggestion. regarding users inviting themself. i had several staff moderating the invitees and still got some issues with ppl getting banned and relogin with their second account. I know my suggestion isnt gonna solve it but at least it would deter them from doing it.

any way to get a cookie detection and have a system quietly notify admin so we can ban inviter and the invitee. that way we minimize the chance significantly from that users from returning.

6 minutes ago, maidos said:

i want to revisit my previous suggestion. regarding users inviting themself. i had several staff moderating the invitees and still got some issues with ppl getting banned and relogin with their second account. I know my suggestion isnt gonna solve it but at least it would deter them from doing it.

Yeah, it won't solve. This is a MODERATION issue, not an invitation feature!

Q: What is required to invite someone?
A: A valid email address.

Q: How am I suppose to know that someone already registered is inviting himself with another email?
A: I can't know.

You're suggesting cookies, which can be deleted at any time... security gone.

Not sure what I can do here.

I accept suggestions... I just don't think cookies will do the trick.