Invite System

What's New in Version 2.0.4:

• Added a setting to admin decide which will be the registration group of the invitee
  • Added a setting to force invitee to use the invitation email on new account
  • Added invitation expiration date to the email sent to the invitee
  • Added a new Admin CP Module (Members) to display remaining invitations per member

New version comming in 20/30 days with some features suggested.

Hello again @Adriano Faria,

I purchased your latest version, which is a good step in the right direction! Way to go! :D

However, I needed to invite users to groups, instead of people that are not yet members. As such, the "Send invitation" page should not show "Name" and "E-mail" in my case, but "Display name". That way, I can invite existing members to join a "better" group.

Sorry I wasn't clearer about that. I do hope something like that can be achieved - if not, please let me know.

All the best!

36 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

This app is to invite guests/non registered members to join the community. It extends the register screen. That's the main and the only goal of this app.

Sorry, I have no plan to change the app in that direction.

Okay, I understand :)

Edited by NorCan
6 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Honestly, I don't see how both apps can work together.

Off the top of my head, I can think of some cool ways the invite system could be coupled with other apps using rules:

• Event: Member sends an invitation
  • Event: Member registers from an invitation
  • Event: An invitation has expired
  • Event: An invitation has been renewed
  • Condition: Member was invited by another member
  • Action: Send an invitation for a member
  • Action: Give a member another invitation
  • Action: Expire an invitation
  • Action: Renew an invitation

Just by adding a few ECA's, someone could start tying apps together with invites, such as giving out economy points to members when they send invites. Or giving them awards with iAwards when they reach a certain amount of recruits. Or granting another invitation when a previous one expires. Or posting a welcome topic when a member registers from an invitation. Or promoting a member to a new group based on their number of converted invitations or whether they were invited themselves.

On 23-1-2016 at 8:38 PM, Kevin Carwile said:

Off the top of my head, I can think of some cool ways the invite system could be coupled with other apps using rules:

Just by adding a few ECA's, someone could start tying apps together with invites, such as giving out economy points to members when they send invites. Or giving them awards with iAwards when they reach a certain amount of recruits. Or granting another invitation when a previous one expires. Or posting a welcome topic when a member registers from an invitation. Or promoting a member to a new group based on their number of converted invitations or whether they were invited themselves.

This is a real helpful list @Adriano Faria :) 

Hey, I really like your plugin - but I experienced some problems with it.

First, the template throws an error for me. Only when I delete all "{$email->language->addToStack.. }" phrases it does not crash anymore. I would like to fix it by myself but I am not that familiar with IP plugins.

Example error from nginx log: 2016/01/27 20:10:51 [error] 8217#0: *684264 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function addToStack() on a non-object in +removed+/system/Email/Email.php(439) : eval()'d code on line 6" while reading response header from upstream

Second, it does not work when SMTP is enabled. When SMTP is enabled with following details: Sender E-Mail: service@example.com, SMTP Login: username, SMTP Password: password and I send an invitation with a user whose email is user@otherexample.com he tries to send a mail with user@otherexample.com per SMTP with the login details of the support mail, which is definitely not supposed.

If you need any further information, it's no problem, just ask. I'd like to see a fix as fast as possible :)

On 23 January 2016 at 7:38 PM, Kevin Carwile said:

Hi @Adriano Faria

I would also love to see this implemented - it gives a lot of flexibility to tie into many other events across the forum

The options are endless.

On 16 January 2016 at 8:09 PM, Kevin Carwile said:

I'll take the load off for you. Just get me a copy of your app and I'll code the rules extension for you.

Well done @Kevin Carwile for agreeing to code the ECA's 

#TEAMWORK 

18 hours ago, Thomas K said:

First, the template throws an error for me. Only when I delete all "{$email->language->addToStack.. }" phrases it does not crash anymore. I would like to fix it by myself but I am not that familiar with IP plugins.

This is used in all emails sent by thr framework. Not sure why it wouldn't work on your end. Probably related to the SMTP issue. I'll take a look.

@Adriano Faria 

It would also be good to allow a member to claim a new members as a member that they invited to the forum in case that member signed up without entering the invitation code in instances where it is not required to sign up and remains optional. I think this needs some kind of validation to confirm they did invite them so it may be one of the two following things are in place;

• Members email address is on their Invite List and they  register without the code, it still shows as converted to the member that issued the invite.
  • In cases where it was word of mouth, the member that told them about the forum could claim that member was invited by them and it would then need the invitee to confirm that they were invited by this member.

You may even feel it appropriate for someone registering on the forum to be able to enter a member display name as the person that invited them in place of the invitation code.

Just a few suggestions to consider.