Caching systems slowing down my forum

Ivo Pereira

Hello,

In the past day I have been trying to achieve an optimal configuration for my forums in a dedicated server with the following specs:

Atom™ N2800 / 2 cores / 1.86 GHz+ / 2Gb Ram

I am using Nginx and PHP-FPM. I've tried switching from filesystem storage and database storage, along APC, XCache or Memcached.

Every other options apart of the standard configuration that currently gives me an aprox. 1.7sec response time, every other option seems to be giving 2.4sec+ response time. I know of course it does add an extra overhead to the server, but shouldn't it be optimized to be fast instead of slower?

Thanks

I'll be a little blunt here, (I hope you don't mind) you are trying to run a website with a $40.00 processor, that's not going to work too well in most cases.  I would recommend that you obtain a better processor, as it's going to be your weak link no matter what config you chose to go with here. 

I'll be a little blunt here, (I hope you don't mind) you are trying to run a website with a 40.00 processor, that's not going to work too well in most cases.  I would recommend that you obtain a better processor, as it's going to be your weak link no matter what config you chose to go with here. 

I use this: 24 Processor - Inte Xeon E5 2620 - 32 Gig Ram. With separate SSD for database.

And I get a slow start on forum index.

Interesting. I might try to turn off memcache tomorrow to see if it makes a difference on the page load times reported by Google Analytics. I have received some reports from staff that have noticed the community being slower overall. 

I'm not sure on the server specs, but it's a load balanced environment that run several communities and other sites we run with lots of visits. 

Not sure if related, but I'm seeing quite a lot of errors like these in my logs: 

[09-Sep-2015 10:27:20 UTC] PHP Warning:  Unexpected character in input:  ' in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 6
[09-Sep-2015 10:55:48 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected end of file, expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) or heredoc end (T_END_HEREDOC) or ${ (T_DOLLAR_OPEN_CURLY_BRACES) or {$ (T_CURLY_OPEN) in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 4
[09-Sep-2015 11:05:42 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '":"' (T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING) in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 6

Do you see any errors like those? 

I'm not sure what it affects, what the consequences of this error is yet. 

Not sure if related, but I'm seeing quite a lot of errors like these in my logs: 

[09-Sep-2015 10:27:20 UTC] PHP Warning:  Unexpected character in input:  ' in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 6
[09-Sep-2015 10:55:48 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected end of file, expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) or heredoc end (T_END_HEREDOC) or ${ (T_DOLLAR_OPEN_CURLY_BRACES) or {$ (T_CURLY_OPEN) in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 4
[09-Sep-2015 11:05:42 UTC] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '":"' (T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING) in /.../datastore/cacheKeys.d64d66aa62.php on line 6

Do you see any errors like those? 

I'm not sure what it affects, what the consequences of this error is yet. 

No errors like that here...

Interesting. I might try to turn off memcache tomorrow to see if it makes a difference on the page load times reported by Google Analytics. I have received some reports from staff that have noticed the community being slower overall. 

I'm not sure on the server specs, but it's a load balanced environment that run several communities and other sites we run with lots of visits. 

Have you tested?

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing conclusive. 

What I can tell for sure is that IPS 4 is considerable slower for me than IPB 3.4 was, both with and without Memcache-caching.

Monday Sept 14th - Sunday Sept 20th: Memcached
Monday Sept 21st - Sunday Sept 27th: No caching

All of forum

560409de30496_Skjermbilde2015-09-24kl.16

Just frontpage

560409e092510_Skjermbilde2015-09-24kl.16

Last weeks overall

560409e35f4cf_Skjermbilde2015-09-24kl.16

Archived