Is there a better way to add navigation bar entries?

vpsBoard

If so, I am not seeing it. I am having quite the difficult time with this.

I've got an admin-specific theme that I can test changes on and am editing the "navbar" global template for my admin-only theme.

I've added two entries to it, one for the Activity Stream and one for the Guidelines.

This is what it looks like now......

screenshot-vpsboard_com_2015-09-05_02-40

As you see it "doubled up" on them for some reason even though they're only entered once in the source.

I also can't for the life of me determine where in the heck "Follow on Twitter" is coming from. That appears on ALL my templates globally and I've gone through the adminCP searching where in the heck it was added and can't find it. It is not the "Add a custom link to navigation bar?" option, that is disabled. If I use that option to add one custom link it puts it before "Forums" which in itself makes that feature not usable for me.

Certainly there is an easier way and I am just not realizing it?

How exactly are you adding these navigation items? In 4.1, we have a system to drastically improve the handling of the navigation in the core.

And yes, I know 4.1 will have an improved navbar system. (Before some tells me to wait for that) I'm curious how to make a workable menu in 4.0.x :)

My emphasis.

I also can't for the life of me determine where in the heck "Follow on Twitter" is coming from. That appears on ALL my templates globally and I've gone through the adminCP searching where in the heck it was added and can't find it. It is not the "Add a custom link to navigation bar?" option, that is disabled. If I use that option to add one custom link it puts it before "Forums" which in itself makes that feature not usable for me.

Have you installed any plugin or application that it's possible added the link? If that's the case, then it's most likely something that application or plugin adds. 

My other idea on how to find out what's adding this, would be to search for "Follow on Twitter" or just "Follow on" in your language pack from Customization -> Languages. That will possibly give you a clue through the language key on what's adding it (Unless it was hardcoded to be english or it's a language key that's not manageable through the language pack interface).

As for adding your own menu items I can only suggest modifying the template core > front > global > navBar and core > front > global > mobileNavBar if you don't have IP.Pages or let a plugin like  https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7261-cj-menu/?tab=reviews#review-554 (But since 4.1 is soon coming, it may not be the best use of money)

Archived