Upgrade to 4.0x - Nervous About Brief Documentation

Frank S. Hagan

My forum is fairly small by most standards, just over 86k posts and 4,500 members, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.0 now that its been out a while. The checker looks OK: http://screencast.com/t/NlzZErR4 I have the skin back to the default, without any additional add-ons that are not supported.

So the instructions look simple ... this link says to just upload the files and, I guess, just overwrite the 3.x files and run the upgrade.

Is it really that simple? Somewhere I saw a method to move files into another folder and run a test on that, but that doesn't seem like it would work, as the paths would be incorrect.

How has upgrading gone for you guys?

24,000 members and 600,000 posts - I am equally nervous! 

What I intend to do is duplicate my current forum in a new folder and run the upgrade on that in the background, if it works out well, then no more nerves, bash on.

Copy your /forum to /forum2015

Edit the forum config file to point at the new dbase copy

That should be good enough to run the upgrade on and keep your live forum safe.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I've gone through all of the documentation, such as it is. 

There is very, very little in terms of upgrading, and a lot of content for starting new. I don't think I'll chance it. If I'm going to have to set up a test forum, test, etc.. I'll just change out to one of the free forums like phpBB. No sense continuing to pay $50 a year for a license when IPB can't even produce clear upgrade instructions.

On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Frank S. Hagan said:

My forum is fairly small by most standards, just over 86k posts and 4,500 members, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.0 now that its been out a while. The checker looks OK: http://screencast.com/t/NlzZErR4 I have the skin back to the default, without any additional add-ons that are not supported.

So the instructions look simple ... this link says to just upload the files and, I guess, just overwrite the 3.x files and run the upgrade.

Is it really that simple? Somewhere I saw a method to move files into another folder and run a test on that, but that doesn't seem like it would work, as the paths would be incorrect.

Hi Frank,

I did 4 test upgrades for testing purposes and everyone of them was successful. Still testing, but one of these days I have to pull the trigger for Live board...

(Board information: 1 million posts and 100K members with Gallery, Blog, Video apps and 14 other apps and hooks)

I have followed this topic closely.

https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/getting-started/upgrading-from-3x-to-40-things-to-know-r136/

Read whole topic and problems and go from there...

Good Luck

On 01/09/2015 at 4:41 AM, Frank S. Hagan said:

All fine here :) We ran a test install and got some of our rather prolific reporters of errors to scrutinise it for us before upgrading.  When we did our test installs, I only had the change the config file and .htaccess, the rest worked fine.

42 minutes ago, Frank S. Hagan said:

Yeah, I've gone through all of the documentation, such as it is. 

There is very, very little in terms of upgrading, and a lot of content for starting new. I don't think I'll chance it. If I'm going to have to set up a test forum, test, etc.. I'll just change out to one of the free forums like phpBB. No sense continuing to pay $50 a year for a license when IPB can't even produce clear upgrade instructions.

And you think there's better support for moving from a paid to a free platform?  There's no accountability, either.

Since our 3.4 > 4.0 upgrade, we've had about 9 open tickets all of which have been resolved very, very quickly (either via a path, or by an update within a day or 2 of me opening the ticket).  Running the latest version now with no problem at all.

As said above, test forum, upgrade that, then if all goes well do the live forum.

Remember to BACKUP - you can never have enough backups inc. mysql db backups.

And i ran into utf8-mb4 upgrade issues (my db wasn't mb4 and a lot of the text within the forum went pear shaped)  the first time, however after running the converter script before upgrade it was all sorted on the test board.

Archived