Am just not understanding the application install progress

daniel moloney

hello, I am new to IPS, am experinced with wordpress but have never had to fiddle around with the FTP like we have to do here.

So for the last few hours i have been trying to install an application for my site, mainly the portal application.

I have Downloaded the file, unzipped it, located the "uploads" , copied the contents into where i feel is the correct place via FileZilla. What is meant by the Forum Root? the very first place in the directory for my site? or a certain forums folder deeper within? I have tried copying my upload files to the root directory of my site - public_html/MyySite.com, as well  as the public_html/MySite.com/applications/forums/modules/front/forums & public_html/SextingFlings.com/applications/forums but neither will make the app appear in the Admin CP to install.

I am sure once i have been shown once i will understand it fully, i am having big problems understanding the terminology in the tutorials i have read, namely this one - http://www.devfuse.com/forums/tutorials/article/156-install-ipb-34-application-guide/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, am extremely frustrated and have tried following that tutorial 10 times now,

Thanks

First of all, are you running IPBoard 3.4.x or IPS4 ? :)

As the 'install' procedure is different with them, IPS4 'things' are easier to install.

Regarding the 'forum root' this is the directory where the forum / community is installed. It is public_html if your community is just example . com for instance.

It is the directory with conf_global.php , init.php and index.php in it.

There is only one directory with conf_global.php in and that is the forum root regardless of where it is in the directory structure. :)

hello, I am new to IPS, am experinced with wordpress but have never had to fiddle around with the FTP like we have to do here.

So for the last few hours i have been trying to install an application for my site, mainly the portal application.

I have Downloaded the file, unzipped it, located the "uploads" , copied the contents into where i feel is the correct place via FileZilla. What is meant by the Forum Root? the very first place in the directory for my site? or a certain forums folder deeper within? I have tried copying my upload files to the root directory of my site - public_html/MyySite.com, as well  as the public_html/MySite.com/applications/forums/modules/front/forums & public_html/SextingFlings.com/applications/forums but neither will make the app appear in the Admin CP to install.

I am sure once i have been shown once i will understand it fully, i am having big problems understanding the terminology in the tutorials i have read, namely this one - http://www.devfuse.com/forums/tutorials/article/156-install-ipb-34-application-guide/

Any help would be greatly appreciated, am extremely frustrated and have tried following that tutorial 10 times now,

Thanks

In general on v4:

If you're trying to install a third-party application from the Marketplace, you upload the .TAR file to the ACP > Systems > Applications.  

If you;re installing a plugin from the Marketplace, you upload the files to ACP > Systems > Plugins

Most developers usually include a Read Me file as part of their documentation in case you need to do anything special.  

Thanks

I hear you and DO NOT feel bad at posting your confusion or expressing your frustration.  Although developers do, sometimes, provide installation guides, very often then skip over the basics that us non-admin types like you and me just don't get because no where is it or has it been explained how to turn on the water in the sink. 

So for your general knowledge, when you download and unzip a file, and presuming you do find your forum root folder, then you upload the main folders, like admin, and public, and stuff like like that, by clicking on the folder from your desktop and then selecting the forum root folder.. DO NOT do what I did, which was to upload the admin folder to the admin folder.  That just installs an admin folder UNDER the existing admin folder. 

Next, don't worry about if all the files inside the main downloaded folders will be transferred to the right sub folders underneath the forum root folder.  They will!  The system knows where to put everything.

What I do is select the main folders of the downloaded file, and just upload them to the forum root folder, one by one.  Sure, the whizzo developers on here probably have a faster way to do it but I am one of those slow and careful types, and those whizzos are not sitting next to you at your desk to fill in the "assumptions" that they think you knew when they told you to this, that, and the other.

Listen to AndyF.  He has the most amazing patience.  He might even be a reincarnation of Gandhi.

Archived