External links in new windows

Valerio.vjk

Hello,

as most of us know, to let a link to an external site open in the same window where the user is browsing our site is bad SEO practice, couldn't a target="_blank" be put in the editor Link code? I don't know if it's possible to recognize between external sites' links and ours, but that would be a great addition to IPS4.

Welp, it doesn't function for me here, it is probably a browser thing... but since I have to put in account all browsers, a target="_blank" would be the safest way to achieve this.

Tested

Firefox (with addons): Opens in the same tab

IE (pristine installation): Opens in the same tab

Google Chrome (pristine installation): Opens in another tab... so I guess it's a Chrome feature?

Ok, this is strange, it does appears that right after posting a link, the rel="external" isn't present, but if you reload the page it's there, this has betrayed me in thinking it wasn't there...

Sorry for the useless thread, I guess.

P.s.: I guess the chances of an user clicking on his own links after posting them are low, so I'm undecided to open a report for this, dunno.

It's possible when you are in a topic and it lets you know that people replied while you are in that topic and you click to read it could happen, not sure, but that is not a refresh. I would report as it sounds like a problem in some situations. You may want to mention that, and yours. Any non-refresh situation I guess. 

Archived