I'm no longer a client?

Square Wheels

I guess I read the posts by others with little regard, but now that it affects me...

I object to you displaying a notice at the top of my forum that my license is expired.  I know regular users can't see this, but it's really tacky that the admins / mods can.

Why am I no longer a client?  I'm no longer a paying client, but I am still a client.  No more + for me.

I understand I can't have access to privileged areas, that's OK.

I'd remain a paying client if there were releases that didn't make things worse each time only to be followed quickly with patches and minor releases to fix the new problems that were released.  There really hasn't been anything significant released worth maintaining my license for - aside from releases that are supposed to improve performance that was terrible to begin with.  The editor is causing problems for many users on my site, there is supposed to be a release early next month, I suspect that is when I will be a client again.

It's just a terminology. IPS could use, for example, - Clients instead of Members.

Then people will complain about the minus sign.

Hey!  If I wanna complain, I'll complain!  :) 

It is true, there is so much to complain about, and people (including me) never seem to run out of time to complain.

I do like the idea of - Clients though.

I don't think it works that way.

There are perks to keeping your license current. The badge, updates, and no nag banner are among them.

I agree with everything except the banner.  It's nobody else's business (i.e. mods on my site), that I didn't pay the bills.  Plus it's really tacky.  I somewhat understand putting it in the ACP, but not on the main site.

I object to you displaying a notice at the top of my forum that my license is expired.

a notice appears at the top of your forum if you have not paid !!!!!  that's really out of order

the software was already paid for, on going fees are for support and updates.

I presume this is on v4 ?  

still a bit cheeky to have it displayed on the forum, even though admins are the only ones who see it
in my opinion it needs to be kept in the ACP

just another thing to code out 

I'd just code it out then. Some of us do like the warning. It's a lot easier to remove than it is to add back in. :)

How is removing a reminder breaching the licence? I'm not removing the copyright, nor anything related to the licence check itself. It's just a front end display.

This was requested before. I tried to help and this is what Lindy told me at that time: https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405733-kinda-questionable-ipb/?do=findComment&comment=2515900

Up to you!

Interesting.

I'll take it down but I don't think it can be reasonably justified that it breaches the EULA. It's a front end display to a limited set of users, thus there is no detrimental impact to IPS of it being removed by individual admins. I wouldn't condone anything that removes the actual copyright.

This was requested before. I tried to help and this is what Lindy told me at that time: https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405733-kinda-questionable-ipb/?do=findComment&comment=2515900

Up to you!

Also relevant,

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405733-kinda-questionable-ipb/?do=findComment&comment=2516266

Basically, just don't discuss doing it or show others how to do it. You're not going to be threatened with lawsuits if you remove it yourself though. I think you'd qualify as one of the fewer power users @Lindy was referencing. :P

Actually I don't think it's covered.

• modify and/or remove any copyright notices or labels on the Software on each page (unless copyright output removal license is purchased) and in the header of each script source file

That's from the EULA. I'm not showing anybody how to remove anything from the header of each script source file nor how to remove the copyright notices. I'm only showing them how to remove a reminder visible only to the admins.

I certainly don't mind being wrong though and have, erring on the side of caution, removed the instruction.

Why not make the frontend licence expired notice dismissible? little cookie placed in your browser and all is good.....could then let us use the same cookie dismissible notices code  that could also be used to say hello to your members or even cookie consent for example :ph34r:

Full of good ideas me.

Why not make the frontend licence expired notice dismissible? little cookie placed in your browser and all is good.....could then let us use the same cookie dismissible notices code  that could also be used to say hello to your members or even cookie consent for example :ph34r:

Full of good ideas me.

That doesn't solve his initial gripe though. He doesn't want his admins or mods to see the notice at all. Removing it/limiting it would be the only solution.

That doesn't solve his initial gripe though. He doesn't want his admins or mods to see the notice at all. Removing it/limiting it would be the only solution.

I suspect my initial grip will be solved by renewing my license.  :)

I like seeing all of the posts here, not just some of them.  I have not upgraded since 4.09 because too many people report significant issues when upgrading, I will wait for a release that offers new / restored features/

I think (without re-doing the other topic) a sensible compromise for all would be to have it permanently on display in the ACP (the same as it was in 3x) but have either a 'dismiss' button on it on the front end or an admin setting to not show it (front end only, admin side should *always* show this)

I can see the value in some way of having a front end message as not all admins will live in their ACP after all.

Although a 'dismiss this message' link on it would be straightforward I do feel a setting (yes, sorry another setting) would be more ideal in the longer term. As long as it was on by default that is.

Up to you!

This was Lindy's response further into the topic.

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405733-kinda-questionable-ipb/?do=findComment&comment=2516243

Oh I agree Adriano, not disputing that but the post linked to of Lindy's implies in my view, that it's not recommended on advising people how to modify the licensing code and that it wouldn't be tolerated.

To me, that implies that dvising people how to and actually modifying it, is a no, no.

What Lindy actually meant and was more clearly said was

I never explicitly said the message cannot be removed. We will just have no discussion of it here and we won't tolerate users encouraging it. Though the license agreement can be amended at any time, we have not made any amendments that would forbid the removal of the message.

Archived