Embed Attached MP3 Files

Meddysong

If somebody asks me how a word is pronounced, I'd much rather attach an MP3 than try to explain with text. But if I do this, the file doesn't embed. Instead we're obliged to click on the attachment to open it. Imagine if images were handled the same way!

Surely this is something that should be implemented automatically? If you attach a sound file, a player embeds within the body of the post so that you can click play to hear it.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Wei Ting Lee said:

At the previous version web could embed mp3 files easily, but now this feature is gone! After the upgrade, All live mp3s on my forum turned in to a simple download link!

I think this is because of the compatibility issue after upgrading, the old BBcode that embed mp3 is no more valid, it is changed with a new one.Every time we upgrade there is a possibility the new BBCODE doesn't work with the old one.This is a huge problem with the ips products when we update to new versions, we assume the risk that:addons, BBCODE,applications,plugins etc. dont work anymore.If you have the knownledge you can change the code in order to work again, if not you have to pay third parties for doing this job.

46 minutes ago, Dreamlander said:

I think this is because of the compatibility issue after upgrading, the old BBcode that embed mp3 is no more valid, it is changed with a new one.Every time we upgrade there is a possibility the new BBCODE doesn't work with the old one.This is a huge problem with the ips products when we update to new versions, we assume the risk that:addons, BBCODE,applications,plugins etc. dont work anymore.If you have the knownledge you can change the code in order to work again, if not you have to pay third parties for doing this job.

Thanks for the reply Dreamlander

Well, you're right. I don't mind much about old MP3s. Unfortunately it seems there is no alternatives for the that BBcode! I could not find any official audio player for CKEditor.

19 hours ago, Wei Ting Lee said:

Thanks for the reply Dreamlander

Well, you're right. I don't mind much about old MP3s. Unfortunately it seems there is no alternatives for the that BBcode! I could not find any official audio player for CKEditor.

What about manually re-entering the old BB code. Would that work to fix the problem?

We had the same problem with our podcast. We use to just paste the mp3 url and it would embed automatically in V3. That stopped working in V4. I opened a ticket for it and they gave our tech guy some work arounds. We can not upload mp3 and it embeds but unfortunately i don't know how they did it exactly. I would check with support.

• 4 months later...
On 9/26/2015 at 10:41 AM, Ali Majrashi said:

IPS4 now allows installing any CKEditor plugins 

http://ckeditor.com/addons/search/plugins/mp3

and they have mp3 embedding plugins install the one you need and use it to embed your attached mp3 file 

this is how flexible the new IPS4 

Has anyone actually done this, and does it work? The attachment system (last time I looked) just gives a url without the appropriate .mp3 / .wav filetype. Is the plug in still able to recognise it? How? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So did anyone ever find out how to embed mp3 links in the end?

Surely there is a way to get a very compact HTML5 audio player embedded into posts?

IPS is well-geared towards Video and Images, with embedding fully supported along with thumbnails etc. But there's no consideration for self-hosted mp3 or attachments... :( Music is life!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Actually I think there's a better way to do it. In templates>core>global>forms>editorAttachments, where

<li>
                                                        <a href='#' data-action='insertFile' class='ipsAttach_selection' data-ipsTooltip title='{lang="insert_into_post"}'><i class='fa fa-plus'></i></a>
                                                    </li>

is - have a conditional checking for attach_ext = mp3 or wav, then have a data-action='insertAudio' inserting an HTML5 player. Now, who wants to make that happen?

• 2 years later...

I'm resparking this because I can't believe music has been overlooked as a content medium that can be supported.

Can some effort be made on Invision for supporting music files? Did anyone figure out how to embed a customisable mp3 player?

It is super easy to embed mp3 files by using HTML5 <audio> tag. Don't know why IPS hasn't done this already. The suite embeds video using the HTML5 <video> tag though. Note that you need an HTML5 Audio/Video player to provide adaptive streaming of video (HLS or DASH) which is really a requirement for any site with lots of video. 

Archived