Changing widths in v4 Forums?

guod

I'm a new IPS v4 forums convert from UBB threads:
http://simhqmotorsports.com/forums/

I got a question from one of my editors that I can't find the solution, or more likely,  don't know how to ask the question properly in search, so I'll post my editor's question here:

"You see on the right that all the topic titles are truncated while there's a ton of dead space in the center.  It doesn't matter how big i resize the window, the topic titles stay at a fixed width (ie truncated) while the dead space gets bigger.

Is there any way to reduce the dead space in the middle and give more space to the topic titles so they can be seen in their entirety?  Probably doesn't need loads more but just enough so that truncation only happens on the very longest ones.  Currently there's only room for about 30 characters.

By all means truncate text if i shrink the window, but when there's enough space the title should be honored in it's entirety if possible."

Here is an image of what he is asking for.

TIA for any assistance on this.

As far as I know there is no limit to topic titles length in IPB4.

Your forum or your screenshot doesn't show any truncated titles unless I'm not noticing something.

As you can see from the following example I created a topic with super long title and everything is displayed:

SNAG-0000.thumb.gif.e29900c653dc535e2bf7

As far as I know there is no limit to topic titles length in IPB4.

Your forum or your screenshot doesn't show any truncated titles unless I'm not noticing something.

As you can see from the following example I created a topic with super long title and everything is displayed:

SNAG-0000.thumb.gif.e29900c653dc535e2bf7

Poster mentioned column on the right on the forum index page (see his 2nd link at end of post)

.ipsDataItem_lastPoster {
     min-width: 320px;
     }

Should work to change it wider (and it should flow also)... but you will probably need to make sure it only address it for the desktop view as if you set it at 320px it may impact the responsive settings (I haven't tried it extensively  yet).

The above code would go in EXTRA.css.

EDIT:

And you will have to massage it to make it desktop specific.. just tried it and it does effect the mobile view - so you would have to make sure it only applies in desktop view (this is where I DO like XenForo's responsive CSS template syntax over IPS - much easier to learn).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived