Converting problems

William D

Anyone ran into this problem yet? I've searched around and haven't seen.

I'm trying to move my community to IPB 4.0 but getting stuck on the UTF-8 conversion process. My community has about 1.6m posts and the converter gets stuck on the "Processing posts" part. I don't know how to get around this.

I've actually checked the database, and it seems it has converted all of them, but the converter still says its processing them.

It's likely not stuck, just taking a while, you can reload the url, of /admin/convertutf8/ and it will allow you to continue the conversion, just select continue and some times it will proceed normally, if so, it was just processing in the background, and not done yet. (be sure you have allowed some time for it to complete too)

Other times it can halt if a table crashes, which means your hosting server is running out of resources during this conversion of such a large table and causing the table to crash. I have seen this happen with cheaper shared hosting plans that are heavily restricted on resources.

It's likely not stuck, just taking a while, you can reload the url, of /admin/convertutf8/ and it will allow you to continue the conversion, just select continue and some times it will proceed normally, if so, it was just processing in the background, and not done yet. (be sure you have allowed some time for it to complete too)

Other times it can halt if a table crashes, which means your hosting server is running out of resources during this conversion of such a large table and causing the table to crash. I have seen this happen with cheaper shared hosting plans that are heavily restricted on resources.

I've actually tried hittting the "Continue conversion", and I keep getting 500 Internal server errors.

Archived