User pages outside root folder..

Pete T

Ok 4.0.x pages am i correct saying if your forum url is forum.domain.com and your main page (Pages) is domain.com it should work with https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/administration/pages/using-pages-under-your-community-root-r100/ ? or am i missing a item because at moment all i get is 

Screenshot_3.thumb.png.9bf54e8f5af06f9b2

all files uploaded to public_html/forum part from the index.php (index_rename.php) is in public_html/

No IPS4 currently doesn't work this way, you can install the suite.core in a sub folder, and pages in the root, but not the suite/core on a sub domain, and pages in root.

With the url structure of IPS4, and the ability for a one click default app, it's really best to serve the suite core from the root directory for the best url structure.  While IPS3 did, as a byproduct allow the forums app on a sub domain, and pages in the root, it wasn't officially supported and IPS4 doesn't currently allow for this structure I'm afraid.

No IPS4 currently doesn't work this way, you can install the suite.core in a sub folder, and pages in the root, but not the suite/core on a sub domain, and pages in root.

With the url structure of IPS4, and the ability for a one click default app, it's really best to serve the suite core from the root directory for the best url structure.  While IPS3 did, as a byproduct allow the forums app on a sub domain, and pages in the root, it wasn't officially supported and IPS4 doesn't currently allow for this structure I'm afraid.

Ok Thank you for your reply guess only real way have two license one for / and one for /forum then use same database if that option ?

Hello, it's not so much a license issue, it's an issue with the way IPS4 works with the urls etc...  for example our setup here does use two installs, one for invisionpower.com and one for community. You couldn't use the same database two two installs though, each would be on it's own, and you could use IPC connect for logins etc. 

Hello, it's not so much a license issue, it's an issue with the way IPS4 works with the urls etc...  for example our setup here does use two installs, one for invisionpower.com and one for community. You couldn't use the same database two two installs though, each would be on it's own, and you could use IPC connect for logins etc. 

Ok thanks again for the quick reply would the page work some stage like 3.4.x ? or is that answer little to earlier to reply to.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2015, 10:21:55, Rhett said:

can you explain how to do this . since im trying .???

26 minutes ago, GULFJoinery said:

can you explain how to do this . since im trying .???

I've seen your other posts and you're asking about something else. Rhett is talking about having the suite installed at domain.com/something but Pages at domain.com. You're asking about installing on something.domain.com but Pages on domain.com. Only the first is possible; yours, I'm afraid, isn't.

2 hours ago, Meddysong said:

I've seen your other posts and you're asking about something else. Rhett is talking about having the suite installed at domain.com/something but Pages at domain.com. You're asking about installing on something.domain.com but Pages on domain.com. Only the first is possible; yours, I'm afraid, isn't.

Could be done with index file supplied by IPS in IPB 3.x.x (placed in site root)  now seems for whatever reason cannot be done in 4.x.x  which is why I cannot upgrade to 4.x.x as all posts/topics etc will lose their links in search engines as using those links will get a 404 error which will not look good in search engines or for my site

Archived