how i can have url like in this forum? (community subdomain)

ipbfuck

hi...

Like from object, i glad to obtain "community" subdomain For forum.

i've put all files on community folder, download in root special Index.php file, but now i cannot Know How to continue.

subdomain via dns? Htaccess? Edit in global config? Other?

i want pages in www.*

and other in community.*

is it possible?

can someone help me For this?

thanks on Advance For any reply.

regards... :)

I don't believe this is possible with IPS4. You used to be able to put a file in another directory and have that generate IP.Content aka Pages. From my understanding, everything flows above the location you install with IPS4 so all your pages will be community.yourdomain.tld/module/

with ips3 is possible, with ips4 no more.

sometime i ask if ips4 is really an upgrade of ips3 or Simple a... Rewrite all from scratch without all present feature (aka: a downgrade).

Pretty sure the "separate index file" thing still works perfectly fine, if you'd take a quick look at the knowledge base.

https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/administration/pages/using-pages-under-your-community-root-r100/

You can still do this, it's not recommend, as the best solution is to have everything in the root directory, then set pages as your default app, it provides a better url structure this way. You can do it though if needed by using the guide linked above.

ok, but with ipb3 is possible to set different sub-domain fpr pages and cms, in this website u can see www and community... Now, why ips4 dont permit this? :/

rhett, yes, i've in this way atm. But also with this guide i cannot fix different subdomain For cms and other For pages ( www.* | community.* )- link Like Here.

whit ips3, instead, is possible without problem.

ok, but with ipb3 is possible to set different sub-domain fpr pages and cms, in this website u can see www and community... Now, why ips4 dont permit this? :/

rhett, yes, i've in this way atm. But also with this guide i cannot fix different subdomain For cms and other For pages ( www.* | community.* )- link Like Here.

whit ips3, instead, is possible without problem.

I'm confused... CMS is Pages, they are the same thing. You mean community and pages?

yes, sorry... community and pages.

Anyway, it does permit it on IPS4. Install the script on community.mysite.com, then upload the index.php to www.mysite.com and you can have pages separate from the rest of the script. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, but it should work just like IB3.

sorry, My English is so poor, but now i try to best explain.

i've male a directory name "community" and move all file inside it.

edit config to baseirl: community.mydomain.it

put specialindex in root (public_html).

fix community subdomain cname to community directory via cpanel.

after of this, all website work as community.mydomain.it (also pages).

instead i want pages in www.mydomain.it
and community in community.mydomain.it

i've try to fix via ACP, htaccess... Never!

You can still do this, it's not recommend, as the best solution is to have everything in the root directory, then set pages as your default app, it provides a better url structure this way. You can do it though if needed by using the guide linked above.

Unfortunately if had it that way in beginning then cannot just change when upgrading to IPB 4 otherwise all posts etc will be messed up if 3.x.x originally installed in sub domain so have to continue with the index file in root and everything in subdomain.

Was under the impression that Pages was supposed to be able to be used in site root and rest of suite in sub domain ... appears that part was all wrong then going by the reply by Rhett ??

I might experiment with this but it looks like the intention is all above the root. So if you want to install in the /forum/ or /community/ directory as a sub, you can do that and have pages in the root as www.mystuff.tld/page-here-123 and mystuff.tld/community/topic/here-it-is-1234  . This is not to say that of /community/ is actually a subdomain (which appears as a subdirectory structurewise) will actually work. That's a good question. The user may want forums.mysite.tld and ww.mysite.com/pages-234 as the structure.

Originally I wanted to do this for a couple of things but the problem was that the forum created urls off the forum that made it not desirable. For example, if I wanted a calendar, I wanted calendar.mysite.tld or www.mysite.tld/calendar/ and not forums.mysite.tld/calendar/ or forums.mysite.tld/gallery/ . I guess it works if you want to have a "community" subdirectory and place all that happens in there. My original request was that if all the modules were separated, we'd be able to do the above file insert into any directory we wish so long as we set up the appropriate config as to where the install was (which already has database config, etc. as part of the core working area.) This way you could place any module anywhere you want on the site and separate them, e.g. forums.mysite.tld, gallery.mysite.tld, addon.mysite.tld, etc.  But we'll see if you can just do the setup above, which probably will work for enough communities.

i can setup 5domain in My public_html.

all inside root isn't a good setup For me.

For me is best:

www.mydomain.it > ipspages > root

community.mydomain.it > ipssuite > ./community/ (subdomain)

-

other website setup in same level with their domain ./*

i cannot understood why, with ips4, i cannot have this (instead, if i can, please... help me to understood "How")! :|

i want pages in www.*

and other in community.*

you can do this; you just need two different licenses and two separate IPS instances; serving each function through its designated url

it's not recommend, as the best solution is to have everything in the root directory,

thats not always the case; for some this may be the right situation,

its definitely not the best "solution" in every case/scenario,

my experience teaches me to be prepared to curtain scenarios IPS4 as a suit doesn't accommodate natively;

this sort of modularity is somewhere expected with such complex suit and capabilities,

even tough there aren't any white pages for IPS4 or any case studies published;

i cannot see logic behind "putting all the eggs in one basket" mantra as the best solution in general!

This is not currently an option with IPS4, you can do a sub folder for the suite/core and pages in the root, however not the suite.core on a sub domain, and pages in root I'm afraid. 

ok, no subdomain with ips4 (instead is possible with ips3)...

but now, if I don't want subdomain and For me is ok standard url, is it possible to have pages in root and core in subfolder without subfolder in url?

otherwise I obtain: mydomain.it/community/forums/forum/ecc...

ok, no subdomain with ips4 (instead is possible with ips3)...

but now, if I don't want subdomain and For me is ok standard url, is it possible to have pages in root and core in subfolder without subfolder in url?

otherwise I obtain: mydomain.it/community/forums/forum/ecc...

If you put pages in the root, ie: www.domain.com and the core it a sub folder /community, you can use one license yes and would have the following structure.

www.domain.com - Pages

www.domain.com/community - suite/core

While we don't recommend this, you can do it, it's much better to have all the software in the root for a better url structure though, then just set your default app, and your done. This gives you the best urls and cleanest install, here is an example.

www.domain.com - pages as default app

www.domain.com/forums - forum app

www.domain.com/gallery - gallery app, etc...

no way to use same link structure with core in subdirectory? Just to have root clean.

atm I've in "community" subdirectory, but this cause url like this: domain.it/community/(forums;blogs;gallery...)

maybe a rewrite to delete "sub-directory" can be a good idea.

this index.php cause also a double content with pages:

http://laltroweb.it/community/

and

http://laltroweb.it/

(identical content) :|

you can do this; you just need two different licenses and two separate IPS instances; serving each function through its designated url

Let's not talk about licenses for the time being - that's just a function of policy and costs, not actual functionality.

Thinking this through, you're saying that if you set up multiple installs of the IPS4 core and connecting to the same database? I'm not sure I understand how because if you have two installs and both have the same settings globally for all installs (e.g., forum on or forum off), then you'll end up with:

www.site.tld/forums/

and

forums.site.tld/

since you technically do have two separate instances of the core, both capable of generating the same module just at a different URL.

its a non documented solution i worked out; im not connecting to the same db,

in my particular setup I have only few selected tables to be replicated between the two, while they each hold their own db instance,

SSO is also used to sync user account information,

If you put pages in the root, ie: www.domain.com and the core it a sub folder /community, you can use one license yes and would have the following structure.

www.domain.com - Pages

www.domain.com/community - suite/core

While we don't recommend this, you can do it, it's much better to have all the software in the root for a better url structure though, then just set your default app, and your done. This gives you the best urls and cleanest install, here is an example.

www.domain.com - pages as default app

www.domain.com/forums - forum app

www.domain.com/gallery - gallery app, etc...

I understand that but what about those that used the old index file for IPB 3 in site root and installed forum etc in sub domain.

I keep asking this but no one seems to want to answer

If we now move everything into the site root then would we not mess up all our old posts/links/images etc and all the links from IPB 3 on search engines would come back as not found if placed everything in site root wouldn't they ?

Basically you are saying you are stuffed if used a sub domain previously as no way to use Pages for site root as you could on IPB 3 ??

Am sure I recall reading somewhere that IPS 'were listening to us so as to use Pages in site root and everything else in sub domain' and it had been done .... appears all the answers am seeing is that is cannot be done unless purchase another license for Pages then can install that in site root ??

To me looks like have to create my own page(s) for site root and have forums etc in sub domain and no longer use Pages ... which then means do not renew license as would no longer require it ?

Someone please tell me if I am right or not

Archived