IPS + FontAwesome

VizionDev

Hey so I notice you guys are using FontAwesome however you are using it incorrectly.

Although FontAwesome says to use <i class='fa fa-icon'></i> this is in fact deprecated semantic HTML markup. This is merely for show being that i = icon.

Can you please consider changing all instances of FontAwesome icons to the valid HTML markup: <span class='fa fa-icon'></span>

This will allow IPB to move one step forward to passing the HTML W3C Validator :P

Meh. Personally, never worried a huge amount about getting perfect W3C validation - some of the more obscure rules (like that one) aren't really that important.

And honestly, <span> is just as pointless as <i> when it comes to being semantic. Actually, it's more useless.

<i> used to represent italic, and could now represent icon... while <span> just represents "generic inline element without meaning". If you want semantic, then get W3C to make an <icon> element :P

One is deprecated one is not.

I am aware that i = italics, it was used in the documentation to represent "icon" is  what I was referring to.

Little changes like this goes along way to lightening the work required in future when those non-conforming tags get removed.

Don't hold onto the past, embrace the future :)

One is deprecated one is not.

I am aware that i = italics, it was used in the documentation to represent "icon" is  what I was referring to.

Little changes like this goes along way to lightening the work required in future when those non-conforming tags get removed.

Don't hold onto the past, embrace the future :)

Actually, in HTML5 <b> and <i> are no longer depreciated

Using them for icons may not be fully correct, but there isn't really any correct tag for CSS fonticons.

Point taken, still. I hold a valid point

You actually do raise a very interesting and valid point. I have never once actually considered this. I always associate "i" with icon, since in my mind I have completely deprecated <i> and <b> regardless of if they are no longer considered so.

But as Rikki said, even though you're right that it's not semantically correct, it's not something that's really worth changing at this point.

I think I will actually work to change this behavior myself in my own personal projects now however.

Archived