Announcements on main page only

broni

When I add block to main forum page it displays on every page throughout all forums and topics.

You have two options for this:

a) make sure the announcement block is ONLY on the forum index, not an any other “view”. 

b) set the individual announcement, so it will show only in certain places (e.g. a certain sub-forum).

Hopefully I'm just not seeing something but how exactly I'll do A or B?

I created new Announcement in ModCP then I used Manage Blocks to create new Announcement block on my main page but the Announcement displays on every page throughout all forums and topics.

Not sure how to make "individual announcement".

I created new Announcement in ModCP then I used Manage Blocks to create new Announcement block on my main page but the Announcement displays on every page throughout all forums and topics.

The widgets are managed per “view”. Forum Index, Forum, Topic are different views. 
So if you add the announcement widget to the forum index, and then open the page builder again on a topic, you can set DIFFERENT widget for all forum topic views. 

Not sure how to make "individual announcement".

If you create an announcement, you can choose where it should appear. Which apps, and even which forums. 

If you combine those widgets placements and announcement settings you have great flexibility. 

If I open Announcements widget the only options I see are these:

SNAG-0004.thumb.gif.7b0830fa6dce519cafbb

so I don't see how I can set it for main page only.

If you create an announcement, you can choose where it should appear. Which apps, and even which forums. 

Yes, but I see no option to set it to main page only:

SNAG-0005.thumb.gif.f77e28ca6ed2cacc020e

Unless I'm not seeing something...

If I open Announcements widget the only options I see are these:

so I don't see how I can set it for main page only.

Please read carefully what I said. I didn’t say to open the widget settings. I said to open the page builder for different views, e.g. the forum view or the topic view. If you delete the announcement widget there, announcements won’t show up there, but stay on the forum index, which is a different view with different widgets (if you want). 

You have two options for this:

a) make sure the announcement block is ONLY on the forum index, not an any other “view”. 

b) set the individual announcement, so it will show only in certain places (e.g. a certain sub-forum).

Is this why I see it appear at the top and bottom of a page even after removing it?

Why to open page builder? I'm not building any new page.

Yes, you do. The forum index, the forum listings and the topic views are different “pages” if you will. You can control their widgets individually, and that’s exactly what you want here. You want the announcements only on the index? Then you have to delete the announcement widget on the other “pages” (or “views” like we call them). 

Are you saying that after creating announcement I have to go through every forum and remove Announcement from there?

No, just one. All forums are the same “forum view” and all topics are the same “topic view”. 
And that only relates to the whole announcement widget, not individual announcements. 

Is it planned for future versions? 

It would be very useful to show unanswered topics or most commented topics related to the specific forum in the forum index.

Controlling widgets for each forum separately would overcomplicate things. See Broni’s surprise while thinking it already works this way. That would be way too much work for the admin and hard to maintain. 

But what you want can still be achieved by widgets reacting to the page they are shown on. It’s just a matter of how they are coded. 

And regarding the general use of the announcement features: We now have a documentation article about announcements:
https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/site-features/announcements-r166/

Controlling widgets for each forum separately would overcomplicate things. See Broni’s surprise while thinking it already works this way. That would be way too much work for the admin and hard to maintain. 

But what you want can still be achieved by widgets reacting to the page they are shown on. It’s just a matter of how they are coded. 

And regarding the general use of the announcement features: We now have a documentation article about announcements:
https://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/site-features/announcements-r166/

I could develop custom blocks for each forum and a main custom block with the others inside and conditional tags based on forum id.

My question is: the main block cannot be cached for obvius reasons. But the sub-blocks will be correctly cached?

I have tried this solution on 3.4.7 and the child blocks were not cached.

Archived