v4 downloads is useless for anything but basic use.

thomasdw

I run this website

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/

the downloads module has had almost all its basic features removed

- there is no total downloads shown

- the categories are not listed in full, but have a browser categories link

- the categories don't display anymore in the category tab

No. FILES

total downloads

broken/pending downloads

- unapproved files are not displayed at the top of the list anymore

- the ACP no longer has before a page with the latest submitted, pending and broken files

- the new moderator scroller is useless when you have 20,30 or 80 files pending or broken

the top downloads don't how the top downloads of ALL TIME

I've had IPS for 4 years now, this update - which was very expensive as I had to update the server and pay a webmaster, is a HUGE step backwards in functionality.

1)

look at this website

http://combatace.com/files/

look at mine

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/categories/

2)

look at this website

http://combatace.com/files/category/854-canvas-knights-ww1/

look at mine

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/category/419-a2a-p-51d-military-amp-civilian/

on the positive side - looks pretty.

for our members, it is difficult to navigate

for me - it is very very bad to manage.

I have 3,000 downloads to manage - there is a constant flow of updates and broken files reports , some of them fake or questions posted as broken files.

guests can download - how can I notice now if there is a sudden surge of downloads ???

I am going to go nuts.

all that I reported need to be done ASAP !

I am sorry, but I dont see your point, what does a Guest ability have to do with my complain? our website is called

LockOn Files

because ... it is a website that ... provides downloads, of course our guests download, that is what they have been doing for these past 10 years.

What I need are the tools to manage that - that is what I am complaining.

I know that we had 2.8 million downloads so far, but now, I dont as the code no longer provides that information.

I'd think that maybe one thing IPS expect of medium size websites, is that they'll test before upgrading? Had you done that, you could have seen the limitations and not gone live with IPB4 until the features you require have been added back in?

you mean - that after 4-5 years running IPS I should not trust them to release a product with basic features that were part of a previous release ???

these are not LIMITATIONS - these are completely absent BASIC features that dont require rocket science, these can be coded by IPS and added as a patch today if the developer so desires to do it.

If developers posted what you did, they would close down.

I tested the basic functionality of the product - and based on my previous experience with IPS, decided to proceed.

why ? based on trust.

I created a new theme, and proceeded to update to a new version.

How could I imagine that basic tools are missing from this release ?

your reasoning places the blame on me for trusting IPS after 4-5 years of using their code.

and to quote myself.

these are not LIMITATIONS - these are completely absent BASIC features that dont require rocket science, these can be coded by IPS and added as a patch today if the developer so desires to do it.

by the way, this is just one of the issues I am having, there are far more serious ones that can crash our website at any moment.

by the way - there are no tools now to fix broken thumbnails, find orphan files ... ... ...

The blame isn't on you for the lack of functionality or bugs, I'm with you in that respect and I'm of the opinion that IPB4 should still be considered a beta product and shouldn't have ever been made final when it was.

BUT - if you blindly went ahead based on trust, then it is your fault. I've been a customer of IPS for longer than you and I haven't gone near to upgrading yet. Lots of others are the same I'm sure, so you probably going to have to accept that it was your mistake. You could have thoroughly tested and been making these points from a position of not needing them to be urgently fixed because the problems and lack of functionality are damaging your live website but unfortunately you're not. It must be annoying, but there's no point ranting that IPS must fix it instantly because of it, as that's highly unlikely to happen and no amount of shouting is going to help change that fact.

BUT - if you blindly went ahead based on trust, then it is your fault

true - I should not have trusted them as much as I did.

Our website is a hobby, not for profit website - and I am a mod maker for that community as well, unfortunately, time constrains make it impossible to thoroughly test the website features.

I made a new theme and tested the install - that test was thanks to our able webmater Adriano Faria who made it , his work and his install is 100% OK.

the rest - well, we pay IPS for their code and subscribe to it , now it is up to them to deliver.

I am sorry, but I dont see your point, what does a Guest ability have to do with my complain? our website is called

LockOn Files

because ... it is a website that ... provides downloads, of course our guests download, that is what they have been doing for these past 10 years.

What I need are the tools to manage that - that is what I am complaining.

I know that we had 2.8 million downloads so far, but now, I dont as the code no longer provides that information.

Have you checked the ACP->statistics for download stats?

I run this website

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/

the downloads module has had almost all its basic features removed

- there is no total downloads shown

If we displayed this in the 'Download Statistics' widget, would that accomplish what you are after?  We presently show the total files count and the latest file in the widget.

- the categories are not listed in full, but have a browser categories link

Indeed, we have determined that the default page most users prefer is the more social page, however there is still a full category listing fallback.

https://community.invisionpower.com/files/categories/

One solution might be to remove the application tab in the Applications area of the ACP, and then use Pages to point directly to this URL (instead of just to the root of the application) so that the default landing page users will see is the categories page.

- the categories don't display anymore in the category tab

Can you clarify what you mean?

- unapproved files are not displayed at the top of the list anymore

If there are files pending approval, they will still be listed in the category, however the preferred method of managing content pending approval is through the moderator control panel (click your name at the top right, then Moderator CP).  You can manage all content pending approval, as well as content that has been reported, from this one place.

- the ACP no longer has before a page with the latest submitted, pending and broken files

We felt this was inconsistent with how the rest of the suite works, and generally speaking the ACP is for managing the site, while you manage the content on the site from the front end.  The latest submitted files are available in several areas (View New Content, Activity Stream, on the homepage of the downloads area), while files that have been reported broken and/or are pending moderator approval are listed in the Moderator CP.

- the new moderator scroller is useless when you have 20,30 or 80 files pending or broken

Are you referring to the Moderator CP feature, or something else?

the top downloads don't how the top downloads of ALL TIME

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this feature is present in the Top Downloads widget.

http://screencast.com/t/ozG6IWTWsdbK

The only problem I see is like a few members posted already the lack of stats. However, everyone on my site really likes the download system. As a matter in fact, I don't think I ever received a complaint about the download system at all. 

Archived