Latest upgrade fails to post in FB, back link is not working

VDAR

HI
I am getting a different problem after latest upgrade of my forum.

If we do a post in discussions section all works.

After posting I wanted to share the URL in FB, in FB the page information gets updated after the post.
But if we click on the same link its going to different page, same thing works fine when shared in twitter or google plus

For example
the URL of my page is
http://telanganadost...nt-for-the-day/

I posted it here in FB
https://www.facebook...931118236955147

clicking on FB link it directs to some other page instead of the correct URL, but the URL displayed in is correct, I think your encoding is not working

This is an issue within Facebook itself and the way they handle query strings, not an issue within IPS. To work around this Facebook issue, you will need to enable Friendly URLs and URL rewrites. You can do this by going to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization. Once enabling both of these items, you will be provided an .htacess file that you will need to upload to the root of your community instance.

trying to enable url rewriting is not letting me do so

this is the error I am getting

• Enable Friendly URLs? REQUIRED
    On 
    Friendly URLs are URLs that a human can look at and understand, as opposed to what may appear as an obscure string of text.
    In addition to being more understandable to users, they help search engines understand better what is on each page.

• Rewrite URLs? REQUIRED
    On 
    When enabled, Friendly URLs will not include 'index.php'. In order to support this you must configure your web server to rewrite all URLs for your community directory to the index.php file. For assistance on how to do this, contact your hosting provider or system administrator.
    To see the .htaccess used for Apache servers for comparison, download this file.

The rewriting does not seem to be working. This may be because you have not configured your server correctly, but may be a false error if your community is not generally accessible. Check friendly URLs are working, and if they are not, ensure you have configured your server correctly or contact your hosting provider or server administrator for assistance.

• Force Friendly URLs? REQUIRED
    On 
    When enabled, if a user visits a non-friendly URL (which may happen, for example, if you have upgraded from an older version of the IPS Community Suite and the old URL is in search engine results, etc.) they will be redirected to the friendly URL.

This is an issue within Facebook itself and the way they handle query strings, not an issue within IPS. To work around this Facebook issue, you will need to enable Friendly URLs and URL rewrites. You can do this by going to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization. Once enabling both of these items, you will be provided an .htacess file that you will need to upload to the root of your community instance.

Also just before version I didnt have the same problem, I am getting it after upgrade

Same exact issue with my site.  The htaccess file that IPS instructs you to download doesn't fix the issue at all.  In fact, it crashed my site with 500 errors.  Had to revert back to the original htaccess file without rewrite enabled and now we can't share content on Facebook.

Same issue after upgrade ... if any content from the board is shared to Facebook the Board header is shown has an image (not image from the posts) and when clicked on it takes the person to the home page of the board and not the content that was liked.

Trying to fix this myself as just knocked my board over FFS !!!!!!!!!!!

Im not annoyed much !!!!!!!!!!!!

So it doesnt work at all !!

It just breaks things when at the end of the day if I pay for a product every month I expect it to work as per. and not go wrong after every upgrade !!

• 4 weeks later...

they asked me to upgrade and I did

its the same behavior

to explain again

this is my URL

http://telanganadosth.com/ip/index.php?/topic/225-indian-restaurants-in-windward-parkway-alpharetta-atlanta-windward-parkway-desi-restaurants/

post this in Facebook

then click on the posted topic

it goes to the url

http://telanganadosth.com/ip/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F225-indian-restaurants-in-windward-parkway-alpharetta-atlanta-windward-parkway-desi-restaurants%2F

which is encoded

but its not the right page

and more biasedly the same is not the case of IP board itself, I tested it for the IPBaord forum, its working for them correct.

we purchased it, but its not working as its expected or as IP Board

only difference they say is IIS and Apache. While buying they did not say this issue any where.

This prevents us in marketing our URL in FB

we have to be according to FB right?

If you want to market URL, we post the URL in FB, and if it doesnot work we should not say that its FB issue or FB style,

we have to be in way that IPB should make it work for FB also I think you got it? its a pain if we cannot market the URL.

we have to be according to FB right?

If you want to market URL, we post the URL in FB, and if it doesnot work we should not say that its FB issue or FB style,

we have to be in way that IPB should make it work for FB also I think you got it? its a pain if we cannot market the URL.

Query strings in URLs are very common in the web world and it's kind of funny that Facebook handles them so poorly. If you want to use Facebook then you have to then format your URLs in a fashion that works with their system. IPS provides you a way to do this as described above. Sorry but I am failing to see the question here.

Query strings in URLs are very common in the web world and it's kind of funny that Facebook handles them so poorly. If you want to use Facebook then you have to then format your URLs in a fashion that works with their system. IPS provides you a way to do this as described above. Sorry but I am failing to see the question here.

how ot do it? same question was asked earlier and your supportfailed because they said they dont suppor tmy environment which is IIS and PHP on windows

how ot do it? same question was asked earlier and your supportfailed because they said they dont suppor tmy environment which is IIS and PHP on windows

This is correct, IIS is not part of our supported configurations so you will need to transfer the .htaccess to an IIS Rewrite or web.config setting.

Archived