Font Awesome 4.4

Vikestart

@Lindy Do you guys have a plan on regular updates to this? I imagine you would just roll in the new version as it becomes available but I (others?) wouldn't mind seeing a note in the Release Notes sections on when this occurs.

@kar3n2 All the icons you see in the IPS suite are not images but are actually from a font file -FontAwesome - that is included with IPS. See that tiny heart in the like this badge in the bottom right of every post here? The heart is a FontAwesome icon. Same with the bell and envelope icons you see up top in the user bar. The advantage is that they are scale-able vector fonts and not static pixel images. That means they can be scaled up and down in size without a loss in quality.  

In theme templates the code to insert an icon is <i class='fa fa-whatever'></i> where you replace the whatever with the name of the actual icon you want.  This stuff isn't natively available when just making or replying to a post though. 

icomoon also ships with IPS though I haven't stumbled across where it gets used though... https://icomoon.io/#icons

It's easy enough to update them yourself.  Just download the font files, overwrite the existing ones and modify the fonts.css in the global -> framework section of the CSS templates for the updated CSS included in the downloads of the FA fonts.

Takes all of 2 minutes to do.

If IPS was using a public CDN for these then we would probably be getting the updated version immediately/automatically but they are actually embedded in the suite (applications-core-interface-font) so they need to insert them into the suite download themselves.

I would rather not have IPS be downloading resources from some random external CDN I don't control :P

Archived