Option to hide post under moderation

Marius

When we have new posts under moderation, is missing the option to hide the posts. Currently we only have only the opportunity to approve or permanently delete that post.

Captură_de_ecran_din_2015_07_29_la_19_20_55.png

It would be very useful to have the option to hide post under moderation.

Thank you.

Why you would hide a post when it is already hidden? When you have members under moderation then will the post they make automaticly hide for other members. As you can see you can approve that post. When you do that, then it display to all the members.

So i dont know why you want to have the option hide over there?

View here:

Hide/unhide is not the same as approve/unapprove.

If an article is submitted and is unapproved you have two options: Delete or approve
If an article is submitted and then is hidden (which is analogous to soft delete) you have two options: Unhide or delete
If an article is submitted and is normally viewable you have two options: Hide or delete

You can no longer "unapprove" content - you hide it instead (which is what we used to call soft delete, but hide is a friendlier term for most users).

When you have unapprove posts, an icon appears on the front page warning administrative team. After the post is reviewed by a moderator, I wish I had the possibility to hide it and keep it, I do not want to remain under review moderators.

For example, when one member use inappropriate language, that post I'd like to keep as evidence for penalties.
Currently I must approve the post and only after to hide it. I think it would be much easier to have the option to hide directly from unapproved status.

How about having the option to remove moderated content from the mod queue and hide it in one click, without it becoming 'approved and visible. It's probably pretty easy to hack up. No need to mess about with special forums. 

• 1 month later...

Nathan, you've misunderstood what we want to do here. We don't want to just make moderated posts invisible. We want to be able to change the status of a post from 'moderated' to 'hidden', without going through 'approved'. Reasons for this are explained above. 

Marius, if you want to get this changed, good luck.  I first posted about a similar-ish issue in November last year. Took a bunch of people posting about it and the best part of a year before we got a reduced version of the same 3.4 feature put back into 4.1. This isn't even in 3.4 (I think). Frankly it'd be easier to pay for a mod. 

14 minutes ago, rgf100 said:

Nathan, you've misunderstood what we want to do here.

Nope - I'd read the first post only, and my response is to that request (maybe I should have quoted to appease everyone) - you would think that the "5 seconds to do the hide from the top" would make it plain what I was offering anywya.

Anyway - the post is already 'hidden' as it is under moderation - hence the hide not being available. To then hide that hidden item you could add the above to custom.css.

The rest of what you guys are discussing - no idea, not going to offer a suggestion or solution, mainly because I'm not clear on what it is you are discussing (don't take that as a request to restate it - I'll probably not be able to offer a solution if it involves anything other than existing board functionality)

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2015 at 7:01 AM, rgf100 said:

It should still be a fairly easy mod - just wants a button in there to change the status of the post from 'moderated' to 'hidden', I assume. 

Yes, we had this option in 3.4.  Moderators had the choice of  Allow, Hide, or Delete posts and topics.  Every new member on my site needs 5 approved posts to have member status.

As admin for the site I prefer my moderators hide everything and not delete.  This way a post is available at a later date for review if needed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is most disturbing is that when we approve one post under moderation, the forum sends notification to those who are already subscribers, and after theat we are forced to hide it.

Please IPS, it would be very useful this function.

It was not considered a bug here so here are the issues:

1. Staff with no delete permission but hide permission only see this for unapproved content. Only Approve.
ips_moderation_approve.png

Since IPS says Hide is also for soft-delete some mods have only Hide, so Hide should be showing here.
It should also show for those with delete permission as you may just want to hide it.

2. If you go to inline moderation and tick the unapproved post, there is no hide ability. If you tick another post (so 2 are selected), hide appears. So you can click to hide both, but it only hides 1, the unapproved is not hidden. Seems like hide ability is totally missing for unapproved posts. Even for admins with full permissions.

3. The only way to hide is approve then hide so it is possible but taking this extra step and making it visible first makes this all seem like a bug.This is not a safe move if you don't want the post to be visible, even for a second.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, chilihead said:

3. The only way to hide is approve then hide so it is possible but taking this extra step and making it visible first makes this all seem like a bug.This is not a safe move if you don't want the post to be visible, even for a second.

More, when we approve a post under moderation, notifications are automatically sent to all members who are subscribed to that topic, and they receive on mail all the post content. This is very bad and should be solved urgently.

I agree with Marius ... We have a lot of fraud on our boards from new users.. We often wish to just hide the content, so we can see trends from a user, instead of just deleting the post... and Marius brings up a good point on Approve then Hide.   A single button would be handy.

Another reason!
Because moderators (who don't have permission to delete posts, only to hide posts) must approve a post before being able to hide it, the function "under moderation" is completely useless/unnecessary, because originally approved post is already counted in the member's account even if he is hidden later.

I can not understand why IPS ignore this this request (malfunction). We are asking too much? @Lindy a little help please?

• Management

I marked it for internal review. I personally don't see the point in this, but to be fair, I either approve or delete. You've presented a use case and we'll consider it for inclusion - that's how this works. ^_^ 

also... 

moving posts to a particular Moderator / Admin only forum should contain the history of all prior moved forums it was posted in incase you wish to restore the post to prior location it could be moved back to that forum.

also...

ability for admin/moderator to temporarily ignore hidden content. If they are "on-duty" and they can see the pink hidden content. But sometimes the volunteers just want to participate "off-duty" and when they see a bunch of pink hidden content it doesn't allow them to enjoy the site with out having to put on their moderator hat. 

Archived