Cookie Consent (again, sorry!)

Day_

I know this has been done to death and I remember reading the reasons why you were reluctant to add cookie consent although I can't find the topic now. I have just received this email from Google....it would be really really reaaally nice of you if you could include something within the software for us Adsense users. Pretty please. 

1.thumb.png.5ee72ed5b0ebdc3c438de6a5d91d

IPS made it pretty clear that they don't care about this issue so you're on your own.

With this Google request, this is not just a problem for european communities anymore.  So I guess there are new reasons for IPS to reconsider their position regarding this topic.

• Management

With this Google request, this is not just a problem for european communities anymore.  So I guess there are new reasons for IPS to reconsider their position regarding this topic.

Our position, like every other similar software developer that has no control over end-use, unfortunately has not and will likely not change. 

Google_Cookie_Choices_2015-07-28_00-11-1

The interpretation there implies what I've personally felt all along - unless you're doing advertising/tracking, you may not even need to get into cookie consent anyway. If you are doing advertising, tracking or collecting personal data, it's up to you to seek legal advice (as noted in the first paragraph above) as to how the law may apply to your particular situation. You may need consent, you may need more. We at IPS don't know and we're not willing to guess on a one-size fits all basis and instill a false sense of security for compliance and subsequently subject ourselves to liability for potentially being wrong when someone goes hog wild with advertising and tracking and violates their local laws while thinking IPS has them covered. 

You'll note Google itself has not provided any direct solutions and are very careful not to provide specific direction, they merely point you to other resources and note you should get legal advice. That is, has always been and will remain IPS' position as well, I'm afraid. If we had a uniform solution that didn't contain the ability to be modified and used in different ways, yes - we'd absolutely consider making an easy cookie consent feature built-in. Because the software allows, but cannot account for third party modifications that can seriously impact your compliance with such local regulations (for example: if you add advertising, you may only need cookie consent -- if you do detailed tracking, you may need to document cookies) - we're not willing to entertain this on a software level.  

As noted above, there is a modification in the marketplace (free) that will easily provide cookie consent (if you determine that's all you need.) I'm really sorry guys, but there's not much we can/are willing to do here. 

As noted above, there is a modification in the marketplace (free) that will easily provide cookie consent (if you determine that's all you need.) I'm really sorry guys, but there's not much we can/are willing to do here. 

Even if IPS does not provide the "final" solution for this problem, it could include similar functionalities to those provided by plugins or the tools Google suggested, which admins would customize to their needs.

• Management

Even if IPS does not provide the "final" solution for this problem, it could include similar functionalities to those provided by plugins or the tools Google suggested, which admins would customize to their needs.

Nothing is ever that simple. ;) That's going to lead to support which is going to end with IPS assuming liability for what you use the functionality for without understanding the ramifications. 

Put simply, in a stock state, there shouldn't be anything for IPS4 to do here (but again, you should consult with a professional legal expert in your local jurisdiction.) We're not willing to get involved in EU regulations, I am sorry... and this is not an unusual position for a software developer to take on the "cookie law" and I'm not aware of a single one that offers out of the box compliance assumptions -- if they do, they're likely based in the EU -- we're not. 

Sorry we can't be of more assistance on this. We're not open to further feedback on this position at this time. 

Archived