Server issues upgrading from 3 - 4

UAP Limited

Upgrading from 3 -4

I went to upgrade my site today, but have hit some snags

Step 2 – system check

PHP Requirements

Your PHP memory limit is set to 64 MB but should be set to 128M or more. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for this to be changed.

MySQL Requirements

You are running MySQL version 5.0.95. You need MySQL 5.1.3 or above (5.6 or above recommended). You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.

So I contacted my hosting company & asked for the necessary changes & they replied with this

“Unfortunately neither of those are viable on your current VPS;

Your VPS only has 512MB of RAM in total, so allowing PHP to use 128MB of RAM per script / per visitor means your VPS could serve around only 4 visitors before running out of resources.

Additionally due to the versions of software being tied into the VPS node that you're on, we cannot upgrade MySQL to a newer version on your existing VPS.

I would recommend moving to a dedicated server which would address both of these points: it would have enough RAM to allow the site to run properly and would also use MariaDB 10.0 by default (equivalent to MySQL 5.6).”

I’m gutted about this, I am currently with names.co.uk & already stretching my annual budget with a VPS server, a dedicated server is 4 times the price & I simply can’t afford it. What are my options for self-hosting? Where do I go from here? Move away from IPB or find a new host? Any recommendations?

Lee

We provide free transfers to our community in the cloud hosting, in your case above, it looks like your host is very outdated, it would be time to make a hosting move. We would be glad to transfer you over to our hosting as well if needed. :) 

I also just had a quick look at the packages they (names.co.uk) offered and the VPS bundles are poor imo.

Knownhost are who I use and the VPS they offer are good (I'm using SSD-4). For what you are are paying (£24 a month if I have the package correct) - you could switch and get 70GB storage, bandwidth would increase massively and you get 2GB guaranteed RAM (15% saving by entering promo code found on the link below as well) with VPS-2.

https://www.knownhost.com/managed-vps-hosting.html

P.S. I have no affiliation with them, apart from being a happy customer.

Hmm might be useful to know as I'm on the Flex package with ServInt (lowest possible at $55) and it does not have a lot of resource as you can see. The customer service aspect for anything needed to be done on the server is first class though. Any requested work usually done within the hour.

Thanks for the input, I'm gutted to be honest. I have 9 domains on my vps at the moment 7 would be straight forward but the site running ipb and another would be a pain to transfer.

i have links to images from an old phpbb site can these folders be transferred to your cloud service @Rhett ? Or does it only host ipb generated files only?

ill look into the hosts recommended. Budget is an issue tbh. 

Lee

Yes it would, however like everything - ask them directly and give them the specifications for IPS4 before committing to anything. 

https://d1ooya5aw7ml3h.cloudfront.net/screenshots/monthly_08_2014/7ce775ce533fa41c2f4ce0d337dcf49e-get-ready-for-ips4.png

The above image is from the image uploaded for the script to check if you are ready for IPS4 

Regarding speed. For myself, I see an increase in performance and page load times due to different factors but in general you really shouldn't notice any difference.

Archived