Auto detect mentions

Ibai

Hi,

The mention system is a bit slow and makes the write reduce it's writing pace waiting to show members name list.

Could it be possible to write mentions fast, without that "modal" showing members names that auto-mentions when someone clicks over the member name? The idea is that the forum backend, while the post is being submitted, would parse the text and search any "uncompleted" mention filling it with the corresponding link and sending the notification to the mentioned member.

This feature would be awesome!

Regards,

Ibai

I think the issue would be the whitespace that is possible in usernames. It could be part of the username or it could be the start of your message. The old mentions plugin worked around this with bbcode but I think IPS is trying to move away from bbcode.

That plugin was awesome, worked fine with this situation. I wonder if this is possible. Currently is not confortable having to wait until that menu of members appears. Even sometimes, when there is only just one user in the list, pressing space key does not do anything and you need to erase some characters and start again typing slowly. 

It's not confortable and my members are arguing about that.

I agree, and I've experienced multiple occasions where the in-line/instant mention system simply fails to work.  I have a 6 year old vb 3.8 site with an old plugin that works flawlessly with mentions, it parses the info on save, so it would be nice to see that as a backup option with IPB since the real-time feature doesn't always work or is too slow.

What would be nice is when you are typing it and it is at the top hit Enter and it activates. No clicking needed.

Also would be nice if they parsed if you typed it and the box was too slow. 

Maybe it can bring up your most tagged members and members in the topic you are in for speed as it looks for the rest. As you keep typing it narrows so speeds up and gets it, if not familiar. 

I have a stack of members complaining about this, and I too find it annoying. It's just too slow.  I want to type @  followed by the username and have the forum parse it automatically, not have to wait for it to do it's thing, bring up a user list, select the name etc.

One of the past mention plugins had a button next to Quote you could use for quick mention of people on the same page/topic.

At this point the feature is a bit frustrating. 

That would be a good add-on just to get a shortcut and a fast mention.

I don't think I would auto-tag but perhaps we can do a suggested like "Did you mean to tag X?" and let people click to say yes.

Coming from vBulletin + the most popular tagging plugin for that platform, we have thousands of users that are used to (and expect) auto-tagging. It is a far quicker and simpler system than the solution in IPB4.  Even if disabled by default, can it please be an option to enable in the admin? Right now I'm literally getting threads every day with people complaining at me that i'ts not working as they expect.

• 1 year later...

Currently I am having issues with this feature, yet I have always wished it would phase any mentions in after posting.

It's quite obvious if you @whoeveritis and @yesimeanthisperson that you wanted to mention the in your reply. I don't think it should ask if you meant to do it because why would you write it otherwise. Perhaps a dev will release a plugin that will do this?

Archived