Profile fields

stig olsen

Hi,

I don't completely understand the profile fields, as I'm about to edit the registration data that will be visible for new members when registering.

1. I have located the profile fields / personal information / about me BUT where can I find the fields that are already there like "display name", "email address" etc, and how can I make them not mandatory?

2. If I'm going to add a new field, should I push the red button "+create new", OR should I choose "add another field" under "personal information", or should I edit "about me". 

Best, Stig

For number one you cannot edit the display name/email address fields as they are mandatory for the software. You can edit what is allowed in them though.

Profile fields are here:

Members > Profiles

To edit display name options:

Members > Profiles > Profile settings

For number two you can either click the "+ Create New" button to create a "section" but to create the field you can press the plus beside the section you are adding the field too.

Hi, and thank you!

1. What are these profile settings good for? It's nothing intuitive about that site so I don't understand what this really is. Like "Allowed characters in display names" and Enable Signatures (...)

2. Is it common to create a new section for this? The section that is already there is personal information, and under personal information I find "about me". Is "about me" a field? Why isn't the email adress, display name etc inside this field? Seriously this administration panel is a mess.

So, should I create this new field under personal information? And, how do I make the new information in the field mandatory or not?

Best, Stig

1. Allowed characters in display name gives you the ability to control what a user can put in their display name. You can make it exclusively alphanumeric (no special characters) or you can include allowed special characters. I personally make it mostly alphanumeric.

The allow signatures is a blanket allow/deny of signatures. If you turn that off than no one can have a signature no matter the group permissions.
  2. Display name and email address have never been a field and by all means About me technically isn't either as there is specialness to it to make it it's own tab. As I said before display name and email address are core fields. They are required for the member to be able to function. If you are looking for ways for "guests" to be able to post etc? Then just give guests permissions to post where you want. Guests do not require email addresses.

Is there any way to choose "country" from this list, so that those who is going to register can choose lets say "denmark" from a list

AFAIK none of the standard fields allow for only targeting the country so I wrote a plugin to allow for a simple Country field:

Archived