Navigation Icons by IPS Themes

Tom Christian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using both a custom link in the navigation bar and a Pages item in the navigation bar. This gives me a total of 7 items in the navigation bar. 

When I add these in, it places the first one on the custom link all the way through to the sixth one. However, it won't allow me to add a seventh item. 

When I turn off the custom link in general configuration, I can get the six icons attached correctly. 

It appears it counts all the possible tabs except the custom link when determining how many icons to allow to be added. 

Other than this, this is a great plugin. 

I'm using both a custom link in the navigation bar and a Pages item in the navigation bar. This gives me a total of 7 items in the navigation bar. 

When I add these in, it places the first one on the custom link all the way through to the sixth one. However, it won't allow me to add a seventh item. 

When I turn off the custom link in general configuration, I can get the six icons attached correctly. 

It appears it counts all the possible tabs except the custom link when determining how many icons to allow to be added. 

Other than this, this is a great plugin. 

I'll take a look and see if I can fix this.

Downloaded, installed and enabled...
Chose icons to use and it has not worked for me

<a id="elNavigation_app_forums" class="active" href="http://rimbitforum.com/"> Forums </a>

It adds the icons via CSS, not HTML. It looks like your theme is stripping out the class attribute for each of your tabs which is why the plugin is failing. Have you edited your theme at all? Is it the latest version of IPS4 also?

Here's how the code should look, notice the "class" attribute:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-26_at_11.27.03.thumb

Here's how your site looks. Notice the class attribute is missing:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-26_at_11.27.21.thumb

It adds the icons via CSS, not HTML. It looks like your theme is stripping out the class attribute for each of your tabs which is why the plugin is failing. Have you edited your theme at all? Is it the latest version of IPS4 also?

Its is up to date and I have not edited the theme

• 3 weeks later...

My icons are not working.  In the pictures of the plugin it shows a dropdown of the selections, but I do not get any of that and even when I copy/paste the code from the website it does not change anything.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Can you PM me your board URL with a temporary admin login please, I'll take a look and see what the issue is. (please refer this post in the PM) :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Morisato said:

I'm curious when this will be updated as well. There hasn't been any news on if it's going to be updated, or has it been discontinued for 4.1?

It's more complex for me to upgrade since the implementation of the menu manager. It's on my to do list though but I'm afraid it's not urgent due to other responsibilities taking precedence.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tom Christian said:

I just saw your review...Are you still experiencing this?

Its cool I did not realize I could do it with the cosmic theme so I no longer needed the extension but from when I last used it I could not set more than 6 icons no matter what browser I was using.

19 minutes ago, Tyranade said:

Its cool I did not realize I could do it with the cosmic theme so I no longer needed the extension but from when I last used it I could not set more than 6 icons no matter what browser I was using.

I'll look into that. Thanks for reporting.

I can't reproduce, it works fine for me. Did you check if it worked with the default theme?

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 14.05.13.png

@Tom Christian, I've noticed something very peculiar about this plugin. When fooling around with this plugin, I've noticed that the plugin refuses to allow you to select an icon for the navigation menu item for the final navigation menu item. I actually have to create a test or dummy menu link item, place it at the end of the navigation menu, go back to the plugin, add the icon and then delete the dummy navigation link. For some odd reason, it refuses to allow you to add the icon for the last menu link item.

Additionally, I've noticed that not all icons from Font Awesome are displayed in the drop-down menu when you're selecting an icon.

But, I do think there's a problem with the plugin allowing you to select an icon for the final navigation menu link. I thought it was just the installation of the plugin. But, I ran the support tool to recache and reinstalled it several times before I realized that it's a hiccup with the plugin.

20 hours ago, Morisato said:

@Tom Christian, I've noticed something very peculiar about this plugin. When fooling around with this plugin, I've noticed that the plugin refuses to allow you to select an icon for the navigation menu item for the final navigation menu item. I actually have to create a test or dummy menu link item, place it at the end of the navigation menu, go back to the plugin, add the icon and then delete the dummy navigation link. For some odd reason, it refuses to allow you to add the icon for the last menu link item.

Additionally, I've noticed that not all icons from Font Awesome are displayed in the drop-down menu when you're selecting an icon.

But, I do think there's a problem with the plugin allowing you to select an icon for the final navigation menu link. I thought it was just the installation of the plugin. But, I ran the support tool to recache and reinstalled it several times before I realized that it's a hiccup with the plugin.

Potentially related to @Tryanade's issue. I have some code on the icon selection setting that only allows you to select the number of icons that relate to the number of top level navigation tabs that are set on your board. It sounds like there might be an issue here with calculating that number.

There's been several updates to FA since I made this so my list of icons to choose from is probably out of date. I'll look into that too.

Thanks for the information!

Archived