Polls: What is the point of forfeiting a vote if you can log out to see the results?

chilihead

1. Click Results

2. Are you sure? After viewing the results you will not be able to vote

3. You want to vote later so dismiss and view logged out.

I don't get the point anyway, so will not enable, but what it the point of the forfeit if the poll is viewable publicly? 

With that disabled by viewing and not voting you are abstaining.

With it enabled it forfeits the right to vote later just to view, but you can view logged out. So why have public polls? They should not be able to contradict each other. Perhaps it should tell you to log in if this is enabled. 

Whatever. :)

Abstain: to formally decline to vote.

Not voting = not voting....simple as that.

Abstaining from voting = not voting for any of the options but registering that you have chosen to do so.

You are using the word abstaining, but that word has nothing to do with being able to view results of a poll. You could technically officially abstain with the results present before.

The issue here is the system wants you to forfeit a vote to be able to view the results, when if the poll is public you can view anyway. Usually contradictory settings are addressed. I'd think if you have polls public, and this setting is on, it would tell you to log in to view (then you'd have to forfeit with your account), otherwise, what is the point? ;)

Just bringing it up for IPS. I won't be using the setting. 

The issue here is the system wants you to forfeit a vote to be able to view the results, when if the poll is public you can view anyway.

For normal use I understand that more as “garden fence protection”. It doesn’t have to be bullet-proof, it justs helps to have it there. If you access a poll you are tempted to view the results before voting. This system prevents that and therefore prevents that many votes might be influenced by the results. The system encourages you to make a vote and only see the results afterwards. That’s it.

If some users understand that the results might be public and try to log out, check the results, and then log in again – well, what the hell. That won’t make much difference. And if it does, it was already mentioned that you can make it bullet-proof by making the poll in a forum that is not public.

Fair enough! ;)

But you could always have it in admin next to the forfeit vote setting: Users can view the results before voting? If polls are public, results will no longer be publicly viewable when set to No, and members will be asked to log in."

Just trying to help in case IPS wasn't aware. :) I could see people taking issue with this, that hide results to prevent influence, but they are easily viewable logged out.

Archived