Reputation, why based on Likes? It is not really reputation...

chilihead

I don't see how Likes have to anything to do with a member's reputation. On 3.4 I changed the language to Likes so it is an overall count box and not a Reputation score. I will do this on 4 as well. People use the Like button to acknowledge a post. Even if it is someone reporting something bad, they "Like" it to acknowledge it. Or if they like the content, but not the member posting. This has nothing to do with a member's reputation. The only option is Like and nothing to signify if the person was helpful, or if the post was informative, or to the contrary, not informative, or trolling. dramatic. etc.

Has there been any discussion of calculating reputation a different way? Perhaps with the Content Highlights that is planned, which uses tags like Helpful, Not Helpful, etc.?

Thanks

PS. Trader reputation/feedback would be an awesome addition as well!

This is a point I was trying to make here

This was all about content count/post count but it is all tied into the overall user reputation system which is deeply flawed imo.

You can like a post but that shouldn't necessarily mean the user has been extremely helpful or has made outstanding contribution to the community, it just means his/her "content" has been liked more times.

We are switching to a brains/karma system with the reputation and looking to implement a separate like system.

Yes but doesn't that turn Likes off? And also I never liked that system, a member could have 1000 positives, and 300 negatives, so his overall shows he is in good standing (green) at 700. It should have some sort of tiered color/name system. But still if you use that, you can't use Likes.

The Internet is used to Likes now I don't want to disable, it should just be independent of reputation, or improved. 

.... wait. What metric exactly would reputation be based on if NOT the quality of one's posts? While there are exceptions, generally speaking the Like button is used on helpful posts or posts that others agree with. No matter what you call it,"Like", "Karma" etc, in the end, it does serve the purpose and you are just changing out one button for another for no reason, changing it "just to", and might as well just change the language strings...

I really and truly don't see the point of allowing a user to 'Like', 'Thanks', and/or 'Karma' a post. I've seen such sites where the admin thinks it is a good idea. It's cluttered and confusing and gives the end user too many ways to '+1' a post, resulting in confusion, inconsistent use, and as a result, the metric becomes truly pointless.

Point being there is nothing to disagree, just to not click Like. So the Likes are just a collection of how many you have. Someone has 200, someone has 2000, so 2000 is a better reputation? No. I'd rather see something like, this member has a 9.2, a 9.2 being 92% positive responses. That's all. I'm kind of hoping the tags they mentioned in Content Highlights can be tied to it. :)

Just food for thought. 

Well, for instance someone could make a plugin to show a reputation indicator from the content count divided the number of likes.

If the result is less than 1, then the dude has more likes than content count and thus it has a very good reputation.

If the result is over 1, for instance 2, then his content count is two times his likes... just define stuff based on that factor.

Something like that could be interesting. :) What percentage of your content gets a Like. Under the current overall number. Very interesting! 

Since Likes haven't always been used, for older sites, maybe "Reputation in the last 90 days: 9.2/10" or similar (admin setting of # of days). So based on recent content or all.

I like this idea. Or something like this. Hey at least I have spurred some creative suggestions. Thanks!

Well, for instance someone could make a plugin to show a reputation indicator from the content count divided the number of likes.

If the result is less than 1, then the dude has more likes than content count and thus it has a very good reputation.

If the result is over 1, for instance 2, then his content count is two times his likes... just define stuff based on that factor.

The problem with that, is that for boards running from a long time where a Like System did not exist at that time, will screw that system, because there will be many member with many posts that should have received a like, but it did not.

For example, in my board, i have 40k+ posts. About 30k+ posts were made in a time where the like system did not exist. So its not a good idea to divide the likes with my post count. 

I know I had thought of that... 

Since Likes haven't always been used, for older sites, maybe "Reputation in the last 90 days: 9.2/10" or similar (admin setting of # of days). So based on recent content or all.

Or maybe a start date, dating back to the Like system start.

Also more weight can be given the more Likes a post has. If a post has 400 Likes it should be treated differently than a post with 1. So if that person gets tons of Likes on his/her posts, and some posts get none, he/she can still score perfect or near perfect. 

Some sort of algorithm. But a score system, like 0-10, instead of a number of all. Well, in addition to the overall number is fine.

I know I had thought of that... 

Or maybe a start date, dating back to the Like system start.

Also more weight can be given the more Likes a post has. If a post has 400 Likes it should be treated differently than a post with 1. So if that person gets tons of Likes on his/her posts, and some posts get none, he/she can still score perfect or near perfect. 

Some sort of algorithm. But a score system, like 0-10, instead of a number of all. Well, in addition to the overall number is fine.

Or use the same system as the sidebar reputation widget/block.
Based on week, month, year and total.

Archived