How to create subscriptions with commerce? And how to do a test of payments?

Ryan Thomas

Hey guys, 

I am a noob at the Commerce app within IP 4.0.  I don't believe there is any documentation for it, so I guess I will ask here as I'm sure there are many experienced IP users out there.

1) How would I create a monthly or yearly subscription?  And is there anyway that this subscription will automatically charge the client's credit card or PayPal account?

2) Also is there a way to have donations as a subscription, like auomtically monthly or yearly donations?

3) And finally, how do I test payment methods before going live to make sure everything is really working?

Thanks guys for your help!

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely doable, and many of us have "paid subscribers" set up in this manner :)  

In the ACP, go to IP.Commerce > Store > Products.  You will need to create a new group as a category first (perhaps call it "Membership Options") and then create a Normal product.  There are a lot of powerful options including upselling, grouping the product with others, renewals, and discounts.  You will also find options to change the purchaser's membergroups  as part of Purchase Benefits.  

Hope that helps :) 

• 1 year later...
On 7/13/2015 at 5:44 AM, Ryan Thomas said:

3) And finally, how do I test payment methods before going live to make sure everything is really working?

Does anybody have any idea about this? I've had my Commerce app since 4.0 came out but haven't used it because dealing with money without having tested it seems so daunting to me. Is there any procedure to follow? I have Paypal already set up, both as a standard Paypal account, and as a method of using cards.

Can I use the card number 4111-1111-1111-1111 to do dummy payments without being rejected? I can't find anything in Guides that explains exactly how one goes about testing any of this.

Archived