PAGES - Confused by IPB & the staff

xert77

On 8/6/2015, 8:05:48, Ralf Herrmann said:

As in the past, individual articles will be published when they are ready. There won’t be a single day when we release a complete documentation which covers everything at once. 

@Ralf Herrmann There has been threads and many other request for more docs to come out, its been months and still nothing much has come to live in the docs area. There have been some yes, but the amount that is there is very limited. It is a little over do when even in IPB 3.x days the same things has been happen and nothing much has been done to correct the issue for 4.0. Look at Commerce a money maker for many people to do business and nothing is even out for it

Capture.JPG

Ok this just takes the cake and I am fit to be tied.    After a long drawn out process to fix what was basically a session type of bug, the second support left my admin CP, my sessions were screwed up.

So what do they fricken do after I report this?  They tell me to open a new ticket and marked the current one resolved!  Leaving me with a dangerous situation with admins with sessions that will not go away.  And I will not get a response now for days!

You are just the worst!!!!  What has become of IPS?  Really?  What?

Edited by Lab Rats Rule

And you know what else?  I forgot to mention this.  After I posted screen shots showing the admins session frozen from when they worked on my site on Tues, I got the famous, blame the server business.  And BTW, I had zero issues with this prior.  What do they think we are, idiots that will fall for anything?

however on some servers this is misconfigured and sessions are not properly cleared out as a result. 

.But just this once they didn't try to sell me hosting after they mentioned my "ailing" server.  Whoopie!  Anymore I feel like I am working with snake oil salesmen that will tell your anything,

• 2 years later...
On 11.7.2015 at 8:05 AM, Lindy said:

Pre-made templates are something we'd like to do. We'd also like to release our own work we've done here for examples to use. 

You may find the improvements being made to Pages in a soon-ish release to be of more help to you.

Any news on this? Thanks.

I'm a veteran, worked with quite a bit of CMS. I tried pages few years ago, it was a total waste of time, so i created a very nice looking site with wordpress instead. I wanted to remake my site few months ago. So i tried to give pages another shot. i got trial demo with everything. This time i was more serious to get stuff done with pages. I done quite a bit work on demo site like how i wanted a listing page by adding custom code, how i wanted a single page with quite a bit of custom fields. Spend 4/5 days working on this/ Quite a bit of things were still left like home page, a nice slider, different sections with articles etc. It was pain to work but i wanted to learn this. But then a question struck me about IPS upgrade or if i change theme in future. What will happen to custom code So i asked support about it and they said...

"custom templates you add or modifying will remain after an upgrade. However, it is up to you if there is a change that break your community to update your template"

I'm using IPB for about 11 years and saw templates evolving in all this period. I give up. Pages is not a good product even for experienced user s. I think IPB should rethink Pages model and write it from scratch. Follow wordpress example with better code and more better settings. I'm sure more communities will start using Pages. It would become an easy to use CMS for everyone and more sales for IPS.

32 minutes ago, Sai5i said:

I'm a veteran, worked with quite a bit of CMS. I tried pages few years ago, it was a total waste of time, so i created a very nice looking site with wordpress instead. I wanted to remake my site few months ago. So i tried to give pages another shot. i got trial demo with everything. This time i was more serious to get stuff done with pages. I done quite a bit work on demo site like how i wanted a listing page by adding custom code, how i wanted a single page with quite a bit of custom fields. Spend 4/5 days working on this/ Quite a bit of things were still left like home page, a nice slider, different sections with articles etc. It was pain to work but i wanted to learn this. But then a question struck me about IPS upgrade or if i change theme in future. What will happen to custom code So i asked support about it and they said...

Pages is an excellent application. After learning it's core functionality, I can see the possibilities of what you can create are endless (or by the limits of your coding knowledge). I think you got discouraged too quickly. I agree that it has a longer learning curve than some of the other applications. But, that's a result of (in my opinion) being the most powerful app IPS offers.

"custom templates you add or modifying will remain after an upgrade. However, it is up to you if there is a change that break your community to update your template"

Also, I don't think you should perceived the quote from IPS that you shared as negative. All they have said is that you have the freedom to do whatever you want and that if you break the site it's on you, which, is totally fair. The alternative is they limit what you can do with Pages and in that scenario everybody loses. (note: if you use correct practices that IPS outline in their guides, you won't run into trouble)

58 minutes ago, Sai5i said:

I'm sure more communities will start using Pages. It would become an easy to use CMS for everyone and more sales for IPS.

I have a feeling Pages is one of the more popular applications. However, I can agree that to inexperienced people, Pages can be a bit overwhelming to begin with. Maybe more pre-made templates would help with that.

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:53 PM, Joel R said:

Get the files from @opentype

@Joel R Sorry this is old, but I'm interested in what you mean. Are you saying the IPS templates @Lindy was open sourcing for instruction are held by @opentype and @TAMAN? or to purchase the template pages plugins like SuperGrid, and Pages Article Styles ?

I am still very interested in real-world examples like @Lindy is suggesting about (I think) the IPS site. The IPS site is an excellent example of what can be done with Pages, but it remains beyond me to figure out how to duplicate some of the better parts of the site. With templates like from the IPS site, seeing the code behind the result would be an amazing boon to using Pages for CMS layouts.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, mcsg said:

@Joel R Sorry this is old, but I'm interested in what you mean. Are you saying the IPS templates @Lindy was open sourcing for instruction are held by @opentype and @TAMAN? or to purchase the template pages plugins like SuperGrid, and Pages Article Styles ?

I am still very interested in real-world examples like @Lindy is suggesting about (I think) the IPS site. The IPS site is an excellent example of what can be done with Pages, but it remains beyond me to figure out how to duplicate some of the better parts of the site. With templates like from the IPS site, seeing the code behind the result would be an amazing boon to using Pages for CMS layouts.

Thanks.

Templates for purchase from @opentype And @TAMAN.  They're unaffiliated with IPS so you will need to evaluate their products on your own (but they generally have good reputation).  

As an addendum, Pages ships with several prebuilt templates for Databases for one column and two columns layouts.  That's certainly enough to get started for a news or article-driven site.  

You can also use the Pages page builder which allows WYSIWYG to craft easy informational pages. 

17 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Templates for purchase from @opentype And @TAMAN.  They're unaffiliated with IPS so you will need to evaluate their products on your own (but they generally have good reputation).  

Yes, thanks. I do have those items. They are good, I agree. Are there other template examples (they don't have to be plugins/apps) or did @Lindy and IPS ever release the examples he was referring to? Besides the documentation (Release Notes example, etc)

• 6 months later...