PAGES - Confused by IPB & the staff

xert77

Hi Steve.   I get a blank page with the error EX0

I can confirm I experience the same error.

*fixed* make sure you select correct template type when creating.  I applied it to my existing template which was not created using Featured Records.

Edited by N4H
fixed

Well ignore my above solution, that's incorrect.  
Error EX0 returns on reload.  Is there a way to see what's causing this error?

It happens on a fresh template when I add :

{{if count($articles)}}
    <div class='ipsGrid ipsGrid_collapsePhone'>
		{{foreach $articles as $id => $record}}
            <div class='ipsGrid_span6'>
			{template="entry" app="cms" location="database" group="article_grid" params="$record, $database"}
            </div>	
    {{endforeach}}
    </div>
{{endif}}

If I remove the above line and revert it to the original the page works again.

It works if you copy and paste just the changes, not the whole section of code. For some reason when you do that the </section> turns red and throws errors. If you add:

</div>	

</div>

around the existing code it seems to work fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

And a bonus for all those who want the 2x1x1 layout from 3.4 – use this instead:

Bildschirmfoto_2015-07-11_um_18.06.34.th

This is a great start! Thanks!

How would one go about producing smaller record image thumbnails for the older articles in the grid below the full-width latest article? Likewise, what if you want to use a smaller font for the titles in the grid?

And regarding the grid view for article listings: while that is not a default option, it only needs a small template change, since a responsive grid is already in the CSS. 

So to have a grid view for articles:

1. Add a custom database template in the Pages’ template manager. Make sure it’s of the type “Featured Records”. Also make sure you assign it to your article database. Also call it “Article Grid” (that name is later used in the code). 

Bildschirmfoto_2015-07-11_um_17.47.19.th

2. Open the “index” template of this newly created template group. 

Replace this part:

{{if count($articles)}}
			{template="entry" app="cms" location="database" group="article_grid" params="$record, $database"}
    {{endforeach}}
{{endif}}

With this:

{{if count($articles)}}
            </div>	
    {{endforeach}}
    </div>
  {{endif}}

That’s it. Your articles are now displayed as a grid which automatically collapses on smaller screen. 

And a bonus for all those who want the 2x1x1 layout from 3.4 – use this instead:

{{if count($articles)}}
            {{if ($id == 0)}} <div class='ipsGrid_span12'>
            {{else}}<div class='ipsGrid_span6'>
            {{endif}}
            </div>	
        {{endforeach}}
    </div>
{{endif}}

Bildschirmfoto_2015-07-11_um_18.06.34.th

I'd like to nominate this post for being the "Mind-Blowing Informative Post of the Month" and to suggest this gets saved to documentation.  

Thanks for the feedback, Danny. 
You are certainly right about the documentation. Pages has it’s own structure and logic of modules and without proper documentation it can be be a struggle to understand it and get good results. 

• And lastly, where are those “tons” of forum questions about Pages with 0 replies? If the questions are understandable and can be answered with reasonable effort, I keep answering them for months. 

There is only 4 help docs out or Pages. Were the be more coming sooner than later like a week are to not months?

Edited by ZakRhyno

oh god I just bought the pages but I wish I hadn't now.  I saw it used on a site and it looked fab but seeing this little lot it sounds awful.

Just have to cut my losses I guess as I'm not going to spend hours of my time trying to work all this out.   :cry:

oh god I just bought the pages but I wish I hadn't now.  I saw it used on a site and it looked fab but seeing this little lot it sounds awful.

Just have to cut my losses I guess as I'm not going to spend hours of my time trying to work all this out.   :cry:

Ip.Pages is honestly one of the better purchases you can make with IPS.  If you'd like a full blown website built around your forum community,  Pages is not bad.  It could be better admittedly for non-technical admins but once you start using it you'll recognize its intrinsic power.  

I hated it. Then i started making progress now i see the beauty of it. Soo much customization and its not that hard to do.

I hated it. Then i started making progress now i see the beauty of it. Soo much customization and its not that hard to do.

Im giving it a go...  (been concentrating on struggling with my site full stop )...      they don't really think about us little persons who need step by step instructions do they?

:cry:

Ip.Pages is honestly one of the better purchases you can make with IPS.  If you'd like a full blown website built around your forum community,  Pages is not bad.  It could be better admittedly for non-technical admins but once you start using it you'll recognize its intrinsic power.  

yeah not techie admins like me ha ha... thats why ive got a wordpress bit attached

god knows they call me an advanced member...     I need a great big sign on mine   DON'T FOLLOW ME I'M LOST     :rofl:

Im giving it a go...  (been concentrating on struggling with my site full stop )...      they don't really think about us little persons who need step by step instructions do they?

:cry:

yeah not techie admins like me ha ha... thats why ive got a wordpress bit attached

well if you ever need any help i'll do what i can. Im only 6 months into all the stuff that comes with designing a site. Started with mybb that was template/css heavy so i learned fast :D

There are some fixes coming in 4.0.12 and then more feature improvements in the early September timeframe.  These may make things much better for you to integrate Pages.  I was a heavy user of IP.Content and have struggled so far with Pages, but I want to hold out some optimism for the upcoming releases and then determine what path is best for me to work with.  I think Pages will get there, and I am just hoping I don't have to customize everything to get the functionality I am hoping for.

they don't really think about us little persons who need step by step instructions do they?

We will provide step by step instruction for all the the main functionalities and modules of Pages. Just give us a little time. 

Feel free to tell us where you are struggling at the moment. This helps us to make the documentation better. 

I don’t understand. Can you clarify?

Sure. :lol:

I asked about template logic to call a field in Pages, but received a reply that customization (code and design) is outside the scope of technical support. So I asked in the forum and you helped me with it, I believe it was your first reply as IPS staff. :smile: Conditionals/template logic have been documented by IPS staff in the past and it was a way to help developers to do things in Pages (at the time Content). All I wanted was this:

{$record->field_x}

I asked about template logic to call a field in Pages, but received a reply that customization (code and design) is outside the scope of technical support.

That will always be the case and is not related to whether it’s about Pages or any other app. If you need to modify templates, you can be sure that this falls under customization and will be out of the scope of the support – even if it might be a question that is easy to answer. 

That will always be the case and is not related to whether it’s about Pages or any other app. If you need to modify templates, you can be sure that this falls under customization and will be out of the scope of the support – even if it might be a question that is easy to answer. 

I figured as much. I got the answer in the forums so I'm happy. :lol: