Change Post Author - IP.Board 4.x

16 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

No sir, I do not. I am literally offering only my experience of having installed other IPS plugins. By pure chance, these other plugins have needed tweaks to adapt to changes Invision made to their code. In these specific instances, the plugins then worked with the current and prior versions of IPS.

4.1:

<ul class='ipsComment_controls ipsClearfix' data-role="commentControls">

4.2:

<ul class='ipsComment_controls ipsClearfix ipsItemControls_left' data-role="commentControls">

That's the exact element the hook system "searchs" to extends. They're NOT the same, that's why a new version is required because hook system search for something and doesn't find. So what happens? Nothing is showed in the template!

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

4.1:

<ul class='ipsComment_controls ipsClearfix' data-role="commentControls">

4.2:

<ul class='ipsComment_controls ipsClearfix ipsItemControls_left' data-role="commentControls">

That's the exact element the hook system "searchs" to extends. They're NOT the same, that's why a new version is required because hook system search for something and doesn't find. So what happens? Nothing is showed in the template!

Thank you, I appreciate the technical analysis. I will trust that the above means some plugins require a specific version for IPS 4.2.

I think the issue is language; something "compatible" with 4.2 literally doesn't preclude compatibility with prior versions. Also, as I have stated, other plugins we have used, for older versions of IPS, have not require separate versions. If the plugin had stated "4.2 required", I would have initially downloaded the previous version, 1.1.6.

Thanks for taking the time to explain why the change was necessary, it's not always clear why Invision mess with templates in this manner.

• 4 months later...

A very nice hook, thank you. It works perfectly on the latest IPS CS. Too lazy to create one myself, so I bought yours :-)

I only wanted to suggest you to expand functionality a bit: add Change Author field to topic editing form and to the bottom toolbar, which appears, when you select 1+ posts or topics. Shouldn't be to hard to implement, I guess. Definitely needed on topic editing form.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, The Krotek said:

Just tested it on the latest IPS Community and it works perfectly.

Thanks for letting me know it works for you.

Pity enough it doesn't for me; I disabled it, re-enabled, uninstalled and reinstalled it, all to no avail.

Maybe because a staff member had to fix something after I asked for support concerning the notifications which didn't work anymore:

Forums_-_Andr_Net_-_2018-01-12.png.16af5

I'll ask for support again. ;)

Well, I re-opened the support and got some reply...

My support:

I've no idea if fixing this problem started an other one, but plugins which are at the bottom of posts are not there anymore since the fix;

Change Post Author and Go To Top plugins are not in posts anymore.

I posted that there's a problem in the author's post, but an other member replied it still works on his forum after the update from last week.

I know you do not support plugins, but it seems this happened after a staff member fixed the Notifications problem.

The answer I got:

This may well be the case, if the fix put in place affects how the 3rd party plugin works. We would not however assist with 3rd party applications, nor be responsible for resolving issues that any changes to the IPS software causes with 3rd party items. It would be for the developers of those items to correct them so that they work with the new files.

1 hour ago, Eric BXL said:

Thanks for letting me know it works for you.

Pity enough it doesn't for me; I disabled it, re-enabled, uninstalled and reinstalled it, all to no avail.

Maybe because a staff member had to fix something after I asked for support concerning the notifications which didn't work anymore:

Forums_-_Andr_Net_-_2018-01-12.png.16af5

I'll ask for support again. ;)

Click in the link to open in a new tab; it will show you the error. 

13 minutes ago, Eric BXL said:

Change Post Author and Go To Top plugins are not in posts anymore.

Are you using Default or 4.2 theme. It creates a 4.2 theme when you have something edited on Default when upgrading to 4.2. This is fine but it keeps using Default instead of new 4.2.

2 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Are you using Default or 4.2 theme. It creates a 4.2 theme when you have something edited on Default when upgrading to 4.2. This is fine but it keeps using Default instead of new 4.2.

Thank you for replying.

To be honest I never changed the default theme. No looking in the themes folder I see I have 3 different ones:

Themes_2018-01-17.png.d3dd380ba0233c80923780cc7ec280e5.png

But the plugins have also disappeared from the posts of my other themes that I bought.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just purchased this plugin and am using it on IPS 4.3.5.  Works like a charm.

I do have a couple of (minor?) suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to have an option to email/PM the new topic/post owner to let them know that authorship of whatever has been attributed to them?
  2. Would it be possible to filter for possible authors, e.g. not list authors who don't have permission to post/view the given forum or topic?  It might help idiot-proof things in case an admin fat-fingers the menu and accidentally choose the wrong author.

Other than that it works great...thanks!

Does this work on Articles? I bought it thinking it would work across the entire suite. I don't see any description saying that it is restricted to certain apps. Thanks! It works great for Forum, though. [edit: and yes, I know about the acp clunky way of changing author for articles]

Edited by Vegan Gaymer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...