Change Post Author - IP.Board 4.x

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2017 at 6:48 AM, Subdreamer said:

It would be nice if this worked in the entire IPS suite as I would love to change the authorship of some of my Pages' entries.

On 02/05/2017 at 7:33 PM, Robert Williams said:

As others have mentioned, great to have this functionality but would be good if it would work with the pages/articles section as well. Happy to pay extra $'s for this.

That's not possible currently. Records templates aren't available to be 'hooked'. I can't add a link to change the author.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purchased and installed on 4.1.19.4, however the "change author" link does not appear at the bottom of a post. I have enabled the plugin, enabled various groups (including the one I am in) and even toggled the "increment post count", not that I thought it would have any bearing on it.

Any sense of where I should begin troubleshooting, please?

5 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

Purchased and installed on 4.1.19.4, however the "change author" link does not appear at the bottom of a post. I have enabled the plugin, enabled various groups (including the one I am in) and even toggled the "increment post count", not that I thought it would have any bearing on it.

Disable ALLother pluginsand leave only this enabled to test. Probably a conflict with other known plugins. 

11 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

Also, make sure you're using the right version. If you notice the change log, you'll see that the marketplace version is for IPS 4.2 only. To use it in IPS 4.1, click in the button SEE CHANGES and download the previous version. 

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

Also, make sure you're using the right version. If you notice the change log, you'll see that the marketplace version is for IPS 4.2 only. To use it in IPS 4.1, click in the button SEE CHANGES and download the previous version. 

That did it. I installed version 1.1.6 and it worked immediately.

Could I suggest a change, please? This is the first mod I've seen (admittedly, we haven't used many) where it's not backwards compatible with earlier versions of IPS. Given 4.1.19.4 is the current stable production version, and 4.2 not yet released, I would update the product page for this plugin to make it explicit that the latest version (1.2) only works on 4.2, not that it's "compatible" with 4.2.

FYI, our only other plugin is Tapatalk.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, this is interesting. Approximately 25 minutes after installing 1.1.6, some members of our forum, myself included, cannot post. I have no way of asking who can and cannot. I've since removed the plugin, but when I try to reply the CKeditor fails to load (I click in the reply window by the placeholder text remains). 

Also, and curiously, the theme selector dropdown no longer works.

Again, anything obvious I might try? I've restarted nginx and php-fpm on the off chance it was that, but honestly, the forum has been running absolutely smoothly for months.

edit - running the support tool in the ACP resolved it, although I have yet to reinstall the plugin. Very odd.

Edited by rllmukforum
55 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

Could I suggest a change, please? This is the first mod I've seen (admittedly, we haven't used many) where it's not backwards compatible with earlier versions of IPS. Given 4.1.19.4 is the current stable production version, and 4.2 not yet released, I would update the product page for this plugin to make it explicit that the latest version (1.2) only works on 4.2, not that it's "compatible" with 4.2.

Change_Post_Author_-_Staff_Extensions_-_

1 minute ago, rllmukforum said:

Well, this is interesting. Approximately 25 minutes after installing 1.1.6, some members of our forum, myself included, cannot post. I have no way of asking who can and cannot. I've since removed the plugin, but when I try to reply the CKeditor fails to load (I click in the reply window by the placeholder text remains). 

Also, and curiously, the theme selector dropdown no longer works.

Again, anything obvious I might try? I've restarted nginx and php-fpm on the off chance it was that, but honestly, the forum has been running absolutely smoothly for months.

I can't reproduce. works fine to me. This plugin has no Javascript of something related to break IPS4 Javascript.

Rebuild the cache in the ACP support tool.

Yeah, running the support tool fixed the post issue. I'll try reinstalling the plugin later to see if it reoccurs.

To me, "compatibility" means "also works with", not "is required". Even just a minor heads up in the notes to use the previous version while not on the 4.2 beta would probably save a post from people like me.

1 minute ago, rllmukforum said:

To me, "compatibility" means "also works with", not "is required". Even just a minor heads up in the notes to use the previous version while not on the 4.2 beta would probably save a post from people like me.

If it was compatible with 4.1 AND 4.2, why in the earth I would realease a new version?

Anyway, thank you for suggestion.

Edited by Adriano Faria
6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

If it was compatible with 4.1 AND 4.2, why in the earth I would realease a new version?

Anyway, thank you for suggestion.

I've seen numerous plugins that need to be tweaked for new versions of IPS, due to changes Invision have made, but retain compatibility with older versions

Not trying to be difficult, this is just my experience of plugins and so I did not understand the requirement for this one. 

Edited by rllmukforum
Just now, rllmukforum said:

I've seen numerous plugins that need to be tweaked for new versions of IPS, due to changes Invision have made, but retain compatibility with older versions. 

So you have enough programming knownledge in IPS framework now? If you feel you won't sleep tonight because of this, submit a ticket to IPS and ask why they change the POSTCONTAINER template, in order to make ALL PLUGINS that extends this particular template to be updated.

That's all. Sorry, I have more to do!

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

So you have enough programming knownledge in IPS framework now? If you feel you won't sleep tonight because of this, submit a ticket to IPS and ask why they change the POSTCONTAINER template, in order to make ALL PLUGINS that extends this particular template to be updated.

That's all. Sorry, I have more to do!

No sir, I do not. I am literally offering only my experience of having installed other IPS plugins. By pure chance, these other plugins have needed tweaks to adapt to changes Invision made to their code. In these specific instances, the plugins then worked with the current and prior versions of IPS.

I have no knowledge of this plugin nor any of the underlying programming knowledge in IPS framework. I'm simply a paying customer who is 1) having difficulty and 2) seeking help by asking questions. 

I am disappointed in the outcome of our interaction. Thank you for your time.