Profile GIFs

IP15.5

Anyone have any thoughts on how to not allow gifs to be uploaded as an avatar or profile photo? On the latest version there is an option to only allow certain file types to be uploaded but it doesn't seem to affect this area. Thank you!

Unfortunately there's no reliable way to determine whether a gif is animated or not.

So to prevent animated gifs you'd have to disable gifs entirely and only use jpg or png.

But as OP says, the file upload type setting doesn't affect profile pictures.

Unfortunately there's no reliable way to determine whether a gif is animated or not.

So to prevent animated gifs you'd have to disable gifs entirely and only use jpg or png.

But as OP says, the file upload type setting doesn't affect profile pictures.

I think there is a way - it used to be an option in IPB 3. Some of the code has flags for "animated" as well so I think it's just not been implemented. Goodness knows why - animated avatars are the scourge of forums. We ban users for it :) 

If the image is processed by GD, it should strip any animation - but I don't know how to force the images to be processed upon upload.  Odds are if they get resized they get processed - but if you have imagemagick installed, it usually carries the animation over.

Archived