Add ability to use FA Icons as forum icon

surinp3

It's difficult to provide that kind of thing because while our default theme uses FA, custom themes don't have to use it - they could replace it with IcoMoon, images, text, whatever else... That's not to say it's impossible to solve, but it's also not straightforward.

There is a little trick you can do to do it manually though, if that'd work for you. What you need to do is add a block of CSS like this to your custom.css file for your theme:

.cForumRow [data-forumID="<your forum id>"] .ipsItemStatus > .fa:before {
	content: '\<fa icon code>';
}

You need to do this for each forum you want to customize. Replace <your forum id> with the forum ID in question, and <fa icon code> with the unicode character code from http://fontawesome.io/icons/ (not the name - click the icon you want and look for the \f1234 code, that's what you want).

It's difficult to provide that kind of thing because while our default theme uses FA, custom themes don't have to use it - they could replace it with IcoMoon, images, text, whatever else... That's not to say it's impossible to solve, but it's also not straightforward.

There is a little trick you can do to do it manually though, if that'd work for you. What you need to do is add a block of CSS like this to your custom.css file for your theme:

.cForumRow [data-forumID="<your forum id>"] .ipsItemStatus > .fa:before {
	content: '\<fa icon code>';
}

You need to do this for each forum you want to customize. Replace <your forum id> with the forum ID in question, and <fa icon code> with the unicode character code from http://fontawesome.io/icons/ (not the name - click the icon you want and look for the \f1234 code, that's what you want).

Works for me. Big thanks...

.cForumRow [data-forumID="<your forum id>"] .ipsItemStatus > .fa:before { content: '\<fa icon code>'; }

Oh, NOW you post this.. after I had asked about it and then ended up going out and buying an add-on that does it. :cry:

Thanks though, as I would rather use direct CSS code than depend on an add-on, so that issue is now resolved fully for me.

• 1 year later...

I want to bump this topic and ask if it is possible to have all font awesome icons the same on all forums?

The CSS trick as far as I can see works per forum and it is very inconvenient for people with many forums that don't have a need for different icons. 

8 minutes ago, jair101 said:

I want to bump this topic and ask if it is possible to have all font awesome icons the same on all forums?

The CSS trick as far as I can see works per forum and it is very inconvenient for people with many forums that don't have a need for different icons. 

Then remove the piece that makes it target a specific forum:

[data-forumID="<your forum id>"]

Archived