IPS said they don't support rooted Android

catbreadbat

Today I was working on a rather critical ticket with IPS, and we are having a hard time duplicating it (though over 20 users have reported the issue). So I am asked are most of my users on Android, rooted. I say yes, though that's not helpful to the search, as their devices haven't changed, the site did with the 4.0 upgrade. I am then greeted by this lovely response:

Mobile_users_reporting_issues_with_downl

I'm sorry, did I read that correctly?! I'm not sure first of all, how that even applies to an issue with downloading from the site. But secondly, IPS is gonna have a hard time with that business model, as I know and frequent over 20 IPS sites (to whom my friends are owners), where the main demographic of users, are on rooted Android phones. As a matter of fact, my web host, hosts even more IPS sites, with the same demographic. Should I start informing my friends of this business model?

Yes, I'm pissed off. This is slap to the face. Great job IPS, two for two here. ID #919907

I've always said if a client is ever unhappy with a ticket response for any reason to simply ask for more details or if that's not applicable ask for it to be escalated to either a supervisor or manager for a further explanation, clarification and / or specifics. :)

I've always said if a client is ever unhappy with a ticket response for any reason to simply ask for more details or if that's not applicable ask for it to be escalated to either a supervisor or manager for a further explanation, clarification and / or specifics. :)

Both of which I have done.

Same for tablets? I have a rooted Samsung I could give a whirl if you post a link.

That's part of the hard part. Many users report this issue, however, it's not a global issue. And it's not a config/permission issue, since different users from different groups have the issue.

Hello, I'm sorry for your frustration here, however as I have indicated in your ticket, we have tested this on many different android devices, many different versions of android as well.  We are unable to duplicate any issues on your site using the many Android phones we have available and our testing setups for these devices. 

Without being able to duplicate this issue, we are pretty helpless trying to determine why a rooted OS would be having issues with some browsers.

I think you can attest to the support time we put into that ticket testing, we are not shutting the door on you, until we can duplicate an issue, it's not something we can fix.

This topic title is misleading in the least. (I have corrected this as well) 

Hello, I'm sorry for your frustration here, however as I have indicated in your ticket, we have tested this on many different android devices, many different versions of android as well.  We are unable to duplicate any issues on your site using the many Android phones we have available and our testing setups for these devices. 

Without being able to duplicate this issue, we are pretty helpless trying to determine why a rooted OS would be having issues with some browsers.

I think you can attest to the support time we put into that ticket testing, we are not shutting the door on you and this topic title is misleading in the least. 

You have tried your best. That's not what the topic is about. This topic is about how in the ticket, I was given the conclusion that the issue is probably because the devices are rooted, and you thus won't support them.

The reason I set that topic title, is because basically any Android forum on IPS, will involve rooting. Simple as that. Thus by logic: Android forum which is about root > IPS doesn't support rooted devices > IPS doesn't support Android.

Hello, Again I'm sorry for any confusion, rooted has really nothing to do with this issue here.  The issue is we are not able to duplicate the problem in testing.  As mentioned above, if you have an issue, this is not the place for it, you can request your ticket be escalated to management for review at anytime. 

Hello, Again I'm sorry for any confusion, rooted has really nothing to do with this issue here.  The issue is we are not able to duplicate the problem in testing.  As mentioned above, if you have an issue, this is not the place for it, you can request your ticket be escalated to management for review at anytime. 

I have escalated it. The point for the topic here, is not support. It's in the category "Company feedback", which is the point of this topic. Regardless of the ticket, what was said, was said, pissed me off, spat in the face of my users, and caused confusion. If not addressed via feedback, it would probably happen again. Which is why I have posted this here. It's also a point of reference for my fellow forum owners, as I told them about this 'policy' of IPS's. I imagine they'll be outraged as well.

"outraged"?  "Spat int he face..."?  The drama here is at an all time high.  Can purse swinging be far behind?

Hahahaha, yes. Using clearer words and phrases, gets the point across as intended though. And seeing as I have 250k+ users, who are all Android, them saying something against those users like that.... It's why I'm frustrated.

I thought I'd tell you guys I have fixed this. The issue was CloudFlare's Universal SSL. Found this out from two sources:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27943622/file-download-via-https-via-chrome-android-download-manager-hanging
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3492

Once my host and I disabled Cloudflare entirely and used a server cert, users seem to not be experiencing this issue anymore. I am still grossly disappointed with what IPS has said though.

I thought I'd tell you guys I have fixed this. The issue was CloudFlare's Universal SSL. Found this out from two sources:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27943622/file-download-via-https-via-chrome-android-download-manager-hanging
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3492

Once my host and I disabled Cloudflare entirely and used a server cert, users seem to not be experiencing this issue anymore. I am still grossly disappointed with what IPS has said though.

they don't support server side issues. So you cant be disappointed due to something out of their control.

Archived