User Group Title Override

ghinton

Could you please implement a usergroup title override. For example, if I call my usergroup Administrators, but I can override that name and call them Head Honchos and it will display Head Honchos instead of Administrators on the public access side.

I know there is the option for using secondary groups, but there is a downfall to it, or at least I way I cant figure out around it. I want to be able to display messages to people who haven't made any post on the site (since permissions are set by group id). I could make a special group (say called No Posts) for them and make them auto promote once they make their first post, but then it will display No Posts on their profile when I really want it to say Members. But, if I have a group called Members, then I would have to call the No Posts group Members also, which is very confusing on the admin side trying to figure out which is which. Basically my work around now is to do something like add a decimal to one of them.

If I created a group called No Posts and set it as a secondary, then they would never promote out of it and I don't have the time to manually go back and change it. Simply being able to have a group called No Posts but being able to have it display Members (or whatever I chose) would really help.

Basically have the Group Name be set to one thing, but in the Group Formatting be editable instead of hard coded.

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.6c7880d7280296c7d79

You could have the Group Name as Administrators, but in Group Formatting you could do <span style='color:#ff0000'>Big Wigs</span>

That way what ever you entered where the arrow is pointing would show on the public side (in this case it would show Big Wigs instead of Administrators)

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.a5642ee28210dd2ef62

You can do that (technically) without doing anything crazy.

<span style='display:none;'></span><span style='color: #FF0000;'>Big Wigs</span>

It would still change it in the list where you edit but then the group name is still "Administrators" but the display would be "Big Wigs". Then if you are looking at lists of accesses it will still say Administrators to differentiate.

On my member list all of my groups have custom icons that I can change on a whim in the CSS styles as I please.

No it will not. You put this part in the prefix:

<span style='display:none;'>

Then in the suffix:

</span><span style='color: #FF0000;'>Big Wigs</span>

I tested it, it works just fine @ghinton

Edit: I did find one bug with it though and that's where it displays formatted names (like the Who is online list) it will disappear usernames. Give me a bit and I will see if I can get something to work for you that you can place in your code. Do you only need it displayed in the Author Pane? (the column to the left)

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but is below what you want?

Group: Administrators

• Sub-Group (format #1): Head Honchos
  • Sub-Group (format #2): Big Wigs

I guess there are conditionals you can use, but could you create a duplicate group (copy) and rename "Administrators" to "Head Honchos" and "Big Wigs" and format them respectively? Then under "Staff" include both groups as "Administrators".

Group styling priorities would work out well.  Then you just add a user to a secondary group, give that secondary group a higher styling priority and that's what is displayed.  The  user group styling is a tad bit convoluted compared to what I'm used to.  

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/6/2015 at 11:34 AM, ghinton said:

This feature  is common in most other similar programs. The group's name can be called one thing, but a display name can be set to something different.

Did you ever manage to get a fix for this? I'm struggling with the exact same thing after coming over from XF

On 7/1/2015 at 6:50 PM, ghinton said:

Could you please implement a usergroup title override. For example, if I call my usergroup Administrators, but I can override that name and call them Head Honchos and it will display Head Honchos instead of Administrators on the public access side.

is this how you want it to look like

5993afe4e4360_StaffDirectory.png.10a6d5a7a9f5a2fedc3eb9a3b986b4ab.png

The simplest way I can explain it is that all the members are in the members group.

But I'd like to see a title, "l like to eat Big Mac" based on their secondary group.
Would it also be possible to nest these, for those in 2 or 2 secondary groups to see 2 or 3 titles (or ribbons)

Archived