Zooming in on editor when using mobile view

Ryan Williams

Hi guys,

There is a quirk when using the mobile breakpoints on at the very least iOS devices, possibly others too. When you touch the editor to begin writing, the web browser will zoom in to more closely surround the editor. When the user has finished or abandons their post, the view doesn't go back to normal when they exit the editing area — the web browser is still zoomed in. The user then has to zoom back out manually, which is a bit of a pain.

This is actually a very easy fix via CSS in most cases. This behaviour occurs when editing areas in iOS Safari have a font size of less than 16px (or equivalent), prompting the browser to zoom in. When the editing area is at least this font size, no zooming occurs and the experience is better.

It would be great if you guys could incorporate a fix for this. I expect that it's a little bit more involved than with a simple text input because obviously the editor includes a range of font sizes and such depending on formatting, but if there's a way you can rectify this behaviour it'd be much appreciated. I've had numerous people point it out as an annoyance now. :s

The following needs to be added:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, height=device-height, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" />

At the moment the suite only has this:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

Adding maximum-scale=1.0 and user-scalable=0 should prevent zooming completely. :)

Oh, I don't want to do that. I know that it's a solution, but disabling zooming on mobile devices is a cardinal sin of UX. It can make life very difficult for those with impaired sight, as unlike native apps OS-wide accessibility settings for text size generally don't work in web browsers.

Even as a regular-sighted user, I often find myself zooming in on mobile to read particularly small text or look more closely at images. There's no reason to take this functionality away.

This can be fixed without such measures and I've explained how in my previous post, but IPS really needs to implement this properly.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :D

Archived