[IPS4] Tutorials

What's New in Version 2.0.1: New features:

• Caegory Icons: now you can choose an icon to your categories. Use: if you have a category of articles about iDevices (iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.), then you can easily upload the Apple logo to your category. It will be displayed on category list. (image below)
  • Categories on Navigation Bar: to take advantage of menus on IPS4, categories root now will be listed on Tutorials link on navigation bar. Of course this is a new setting; it can be disabled at any time. (image below)
  • Forum Discussion: now you can also choose a forum to be the forum where the users should create their own support topic. It will not create a topic on chosen forum; it will simply add a new button on tutorial view to that forum. Use: Sometimes if the community is very busy, it's not easy to deal with several doubts in one single topic. Forums Discussios can work together with Topic Discussions. That means that you can have 2 buttons on tutorial view: one linking to the FORUM DISCUSSION and another linking to SUPPORT TOPIC. Of course, you can opt to use only one. (image below)

Category Icons and Categories on Navigation Bar:

Imagem1.thumb.png.a275caab0932e79c5fef23

Forum Discussion:

Capturar.thumb.PNG.6d1fa13ffcc70d3de6edc

Edited by Adriano Faria

A couple of things I noticed:

1) There is a white space to the right.

2015-07-01_16-19-17.thumb.png.2895d37896

2) Seems to be redundancy, I know right side display can be turned off, but It's really not needed.

2015-07-01_16-21-21.thumb.png.6da8fa4be9

Just tried to update Tutorials and received this:

2015-07-01_16-38-50.thumb.png.ec8d84ee2a

I really don't want to reinstall everything :(

Update: Damn, it hosed the database. The Categories are missing....

Edited by mesteele101

Just tried to update Tutorials and received this:

2015-07-01_16-38-50.thumb.png.ec8d84ee2a

I really don't want to reinstall everything :(

Update: Damn, it hosed the database. The Categories are missing....

I installed 2.0.0 and upgraded to 2.0.1 a dozen of times today to test one of the new features and I had no problem with it. And to leave no doubt, I made it again and here it is: http://www.screencast.com/t/Xkyki7biC3R

I also know that @Michael Schneider upgrade without any problem. He bought the app 30 min before I update it and pmed saying that upgrade just fine. Not sure what could've had happen there, but it seems something on your end.

2) Seems to be redundancy, I know right side display can be turned off, but It's really not needed.

2015-07-01_16-21-21.thumb.png.6da8fa4be9

If you have only categories, yes. If have subcategories it makes sense:

Capturar.thumb.PNG.18b2be886146f36da783c

If you see the screenshot of the file you'll find it useful. Anyway, you can disable it.

1) There is a white space to the right.

2015-07-01_16-19-17.thumb.png.2895d37896

This is probably due to your resolution. Compare Tutorials listing with topics listing:

559459f0f3e2c_Sem_ttulo.thumb.png.bc6e6e

Not that HUGE difference.

Edited by Adriano Faria

I was able to add back in the category names and all is back up. Still uncertain about upgrading to the new version.

I just picked upgrade. Humm, I used IE, I'll switch to FF and see if that helps? For some reason IPB has issue with browsers, usually IE.

Tried FF with same problem here is a quirk of the install that is left over after it fails. I can add back in the category names and users are able to access, but there is no way it is going to upgrade.

2015-07-01_17-59-03.thumb.png.1fe9554052

ITried FF with same problem here is a quirk of the install that is left over after it fails. I can add back in the category names and users are able to access, but there is no way it is going to upgrade.

2015-07-01_17-59-03.thumb.png.1fe9554052

Your upgrade failed, Michael; it doesn't finish, hence the missing language bit, etc.

Do a backup of your categories ad tutorials and uninstall the app. Install a fresh 2.0.1 and restore the data.

If you're not comfortable in doing that, send a PM with your ACP, FTP and MySQL access. I'll do it tomorrow in the morning.

Here is the support scan of the database. I'll attach the tables. Its doing odd things to the tables, but it might be that is just in the middle of the update process.

It appears I may have to uninstall.

2015-07-01_18-09-17.thumb.png.4768391c86

winsnort_db-after.sql

winsnort_db-before.sql

Disregard. The column is exacly like that. It ia only trying to force a NULL comment.

Your upgrade failed, Michael; it doesn't finish, hence the missing language bit, etc.

Do a backup of your categories ad tutorials and uninstall the app. Install a fresh 2.0.1 and restore the data.

If you're not comfortable in doing that, send a PM with your ACP, FTP and MySQL access. I'll do it tomorrow in the morning.

Disregard. The column is exacly like that. It ia only trying to force a NULL comment.

I'm good with the database stuff.

Which tables exactly do I need to extract?

There are six tables labeled 'ibf_tutorials...'. I did restore those 6 tables when everything failed but I still had to manually add back in the category names.

Will these tables include the Tutorials, or will I need to re-post them? 

1. Extract all the tables
  2. Uninstall Tutorials
  3. Install the latest update.
  4. Import all the tables I exported in step 1 above

Should I run 'Something isn't working correctly' in support?

So im actually required reinstalling, or did I missunderstand that?

No, you're fine. Michael had some issue on his install.

I'm good with the database stuff.

Which tables exactly do I need to extract?

There are six tables labeled 'ibf_tutorials...'. I did restore those 6 tables when everything failed but I still had to manually add back in the category names.

Will these tables include the Tutorials, or will I need to re-post them? 

1. Extract all the tables
  2. Uninstall Tutorials
  3. Install the latest update.
  4. Import all the tables I exported in step 1 above

Should I run 'Something isn't working correctly' in support?

You have to add the names back 'cause they are stored now as language bits, due to ability of use several language bits. This happens in all suite:

Tutorials:

SOS-1435827097-U1.png

Forums:

SOS-1435827136-U1.png

Gallery:

SOS-1435827168-U1.png

etc.

Articles are on tutorials_articles table.

Edited by Adriano Faria

Ok, I got it.

• Exported the 6 tutorial tables
  • Removed Tutorials 2.0.0 (there was a problem, error something? cant remember how i completed the removal)
  • Installed 2.0.1
  • Deleted the 6 new Tutorial tables
  • Imported the original Tutorial tables
  • Ran 'Something isn't working correctly' in support
  • Added the category names back, and set all the permission.

All is good.

Is this going to happen with each new update?

Is this problem related to the UTF8MB4 character set not being implemented?

Going to see about the Button to forum implementation, hoping that it implement's without redoing tutorials, or the above was a waste of time.

Is this going to happen with each new update?

Of course not. You had a problem.I haven't any issue and showed you on a screenvideo. Other user also didn't had.

Is this problem related to the UTF8MB4 character set not being implemented?

The app uses the default of MySQL.

Going to see about the Button to forum implementation, hoping that it implement's without redoing tutorials, or the above was a waste of time.

No, simply select a forum on DISCUSSION FORUM and the button will appear on tutorial view.

Now before hunting around again. I need to verify how this Forum button works.

I found the option under Category. It appears that creating a button will cause every tutorial under that category to go to the same forum. It doesn't appear that the send to forum option is on a unique per tutorial setting. Is this correct?

Now before hunting around again. I need to verify how this Forum button works.

I found the option under Category. It appears that creating a button will cause every tutorial under that category to go to the same forum. It doesn't appear that the send to forum option is on a unique per tutorial setting. Is this correct?

No, it will send to the forum chosen on category. The forum on SETTINGS if for support topic.

Edited by Adriano Faria

No, you're fine. Michael had some issue on his install.

You have to add the names back 'cause they are stored now as language bits, due to ability of use several language bits. This happens in all suite:

Tutorials:

SOS-1435827097-U1.png

Forums:

SOS-1435827136-U1.png

Gallery:

SOS-1435827168-U1.png

etc.

Articles are on tutorials_articles table.

You are showing the above and mine is displaying the below:

2015-07-02_9-39-52.thumb.png.8e55ec92a44

No, it will send to the forum chosen on category. The forum on SETTINGS if for support topic.

Your answer above is confusing. It looks like you are confirming my question but you say 'No'.

I have created a category. Now I select the below and turn it on (Green). Then it allows me to pick one forum. I have 15 tutorials under that one category, so ALL 15 tutorials under that one category will send the user to the same forum, correct.

If this is the way it works it's still only half of what my suggestion was originally. Its oing to be very difficult for users to go to that one forum to search, or scan specific posts for a specific tutorial. All the topics will be mixed. Plus over several years is could become a nightmare to manage.

The button needs to be unique for each tutorial so the user can be sent to any specific forum (URL). The admin could still send multiple Tutorials under one category to the same forum if they so chose to, or they could send all 15 Tutorials under that one category to 15 different forums

2015-07-02_19-37-34.thumb.png.99277a165d

If you're talking about the languages, you MUST have more than one to show there. :)

What you see is what I have. I see you have a flag for the US. Do I need to pick a language? Could this be why the install failed?

Your answer above is confusing. It looks like you are confirming my question but you say 'No'.

I have created a category. Now I select the below and turn it on (Green). Then it allows me to pick one forum. I have 15 tutorials under that one category, so ALL 15 tutorials under that one category will send the user to the same forum, correct.

If this is the way it works it's still only half of what my suggestion was originally. Its oing to be very difficult for users to go to that one forum to search, or scan specific posts for a specific tutorial. All the topics will be mixed. Plus over several years is could become a nightmare to manage.

The button needs to be unique for each tutorial so the user can be sent to any specific forum (URL). The admin could still send multiple Tutorials under one category to the same forum if they so chose to, or they could send all 15 Tutorials under that one category to 15 different forum

My last word: I'm really tired and I'm done with it. The app is as it is. I won't change anymore to fit YOUR needs. AGAIN: this iNOT a custom job made to you.

If you're not happy, then simply do not use it. Go to PROJETS session and hire someone to make one as you wish. if you opt to continue using it, then use this topic to report a bug.

It's enough to me.

Edited by Adriano Faria

My last word: I'm really tired and I'm done with it. The app is as it is. I won't change anymore to fit YOUR needs. AGAIN: this iNOT a custom job made to you.

If you're not happy, then simply do not use it. Go to PROJETS session and hire someone to make one as you wish. if you opt to continue using it, then use this topic to report a bug.

It's enough to me.

Again, I Do Not want anything custom built for me. I never said anything even related to having anything custom done for me. If this is not something your user base could benefit from them scrap it. I really don't care.

The default support system is antiquated and cumbersome to use in Tutorials. I've tried to give you an alternative that might be useful for larger sites that draw more users, and a way to keep the support items organized.

The existing support system you started out with, and is the default, is nothing more than taking ten Marketplace applications, creating one topic and dumping all the support for all ten into one topic. That's not a very well thought out support system.

I gave you another option that might be better, Creating another button that when activated would drop a user into an existing forum that was unique to that Tutorial. The admin COULD point every Tutorial to the same forum if they wanted. I also suggested a template be sent with each support request.

What you ended up doing was half of what I suggested; The alternate support button does drop the user into a single unique forum. However, f you have 20 Tutorials in the same category it's now going to allow the end user to post a unique support topic for everyone of those 20 tutorials into one forum. Not very well thought out.

I don't need the built in support system, or the button to send the user to a Forum. I can just create a button that is included in the top right of my tutorial that does this.

It's like you said that some of this has been in there from the inception of Tutorials. IPB has progressed and it's nice when the developers applications progress right along with IPB. Just updating a program to work from version to version is not the best thing to do in the long run.

You are correct, I'm done. I'll just be posting when I run into bugs.

Took me 5 minutes:

2015-07-03_0-33-19.thumb.png.b9766f5b479

Edited by mesteele101

What's New in Version 2.0.2: New features:

• Integration to Advertisements System: ability to display advertisements on index, categories and tutorials/articles
  • Quick edit (ajax) of tutorial's title on category view (image below)
  • Preview the tutorial content when you hover the tutorial link on category view (image below)

SOS-1436019522-U1.png

What's New in Version 2.0.2: New features:

• Integration to Advertisements System: ability to display advertisements on index, categories and tutorials/articles
  • Preview the tutorial content when you hover the tutorial link on category view (image below)

SOS-1436019522-U1.png

Unable to get option to work:

Hovering on title brings up the left screen, clicking brings up the tutorial. What is the process to edit the title. It appears you are showing the same screen in both examples?

Edited by mesteele101

There's a cache to update. Open one of your categories and hit save. It will appear.

I'll try to make it automatic.

Hovering on title brings up the left screen. What is the process to edit the title. It appears you are showing the same screen in both examples?

Just like any topic on forum view, click and hold. It will appear.

There's a cache to update. Open one of your categories and hit save. It will appear.

I'll try to make it automatic.

save worked...

Just like any topic on forum view, click and hold. It will appear.

Didn't know that option was available at that level, good to know.

Thx...