Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

On 2017-6-4 at 4:40 PM, Ryan H. said:

Can't say. Anyone else know? I expect most things will be fine, but tag management section may not (I think they were planning to remove part of the functionality it uses).

I just tried to manage tags,prefix,... in ACP and it works on 4.2 b4.
Same on frontend, I didn't see any issue.

On 6/4/2017 at 1:29 PM, jair101 said:

Well, core_tags contains 6400 records and most of these are single ones, so even if the page numbering is not correct it is still a lot of stuff to process manually. If I understand you correctly, this is the only table containing tags. core_search_index_tags and core_tags_perms I assume are temporary tables that can be rebuild? What about core_tags_perms?

None of the tables are temporary. Some (tags cache, search index) can be rebuilt given time. You can probably get away without touching core_tags_perms. Using the delete button on a tag in AT&P removes all instances of it from core_tags, then updates corresponding records in core_tags_cache and core_search_index_tags. You could replicate that by just removing records from core_tags, then running the search reindex (core) and tag recache (AT&P) tools.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:12 AM, AlexJ said:

Without tag management section, how can I add new tags/prefixes? I have used your app on 3.4.x. Does the new one provides the upgrade route? If yes, then how to?

Tag manager is different from prefix manager. Tag manager lets you see/edit/delete all tags in use on your site. That being said, Juju indicates that's not actually broken on 4.2.

You can upgrade the app and app data from 3.x to 4.x alongside IPB itself, or after the IPB upgrade. You'll just need to purchase and install the new 4.x version and all of your old prefix data and settings will still be there.

Eh it roughly works on 4.2 B4...

Other than the ACP page layouts being a little bit broken, using the bulk advanced tool left me with some glorious work to do:

image.thumb.png.6265e62df1642e2e58b03b003e7dcf67.png

It started off okay on the first cycle, then for each cycle after than the tag got longer and longer.

Edited by Cyrem
6 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

Don't know why that would be. Could you (or have you) run the recache tags tool?

No go my friend.  I did run recache tag tools and it didn't fix the smaller case. In fact when i create new topic, even colors are different. New test topic is perfect. That's how I wanted for old ones as well. How to fix it?

06.10.2017-01.21.34

06.10.2017-01.23.28

Edited by AlexJ

I was able to fix the above issue by renaming all the messed up tags from the advanced tool using the Tags list, still might want to fix that for 4.2 ;)

I have some suggestions based on my personal usage:

• Tag Abbreviation or Alternative Name - For example: In create Topic I want you to select a game title, however in the forum topic listing I want this title abbreviated E.g Need For Speed: Underground > NFS:U. This is to avoid showing huge tag prefixes. Right now I have a work around using <abbr> tags:
Prefix: <span class="ipsBadge" style="background:teal;"><abbr title="
Suffix: ">ABB</abbr></span>

But it's not ideal.

• Tag Search Isolation - For example, I have a tag named Biome. When I click this tag in a forum topic list I only want it to show topics tagged 'Biome' within the current forum.
  • Add Prefix Easily - Similar to how IPS has the Add Tag on the topic display now. The issue is, I can't prefix a topic from the forum's prefix's through this.
  • Tag Search Topic List View - When clicking on a tag, you get the generic search by tag with a bit of content preview. Would you be able to create an alternative display to this list just like a forum topic list?

[May have more suggestions as I continue setting this up]

P.S Top quality app, well worth the price, :thumbsup:(But then I already knew this having bought a number of your extensions before haha)

Edited by Cyrem

Also, just to confirm if I understand this correctly. I want to have a closed tag system in some forums, but open tags in all the others and through the suite (calendar, gallery, etc).

So what I need to do is leave the Posting -> Tags option to "Open" and define the closed tags per forum, is that correct?

On 6/10/2017 at 1:23 AM, AlexJ said:

No go my friend.  I did run recache tag tools and it didn't fix the smaller case. In fact when i create new topic, even colors are different. New test topic is perfect. That's how I wanted for old ones as well. How to fix it?

06.10.2017-01.21.34

06.10.2017-01.23.28

Is it still as bad? Doesn't look like you still have duplicated tags/prefixes anymore, maybe just not shown in that screenshot though. Your problem is capitalization--prefixes are case sensitive now. They may not have been on 3.x. That means you need to either convert everything to lowercase (there's an AT&P tool to do that in one swoop), or manually fix your existing tags to have the right capitalization in the Manage Tags section. "et application" and "ET Application" are not the same thing. If you change "et application" to be capitalized, it'll style correctly.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:17 PM, Cyrem said:

I was able to fix the above issue by renaming all the messed up tags from the advanced tool using the Tags list, still might want to fix that for 4.2 ;)

I'll look into that, thanks. What version are you running? I fixed a number of such issues in recent releases, maybe the mass-add tool escaped me though.

I have some suggestions based on my personal usage:

• Tag Abbreviation or Alternative Name - For example: In create Topic I want you to select a game title, however in the forum topic listing I want this title abbreviated E.g Need For Speed: Underground > NFS:U. This is to avoid showing huge tag prefixes. Right now I have a work around using <abbr> tags:

Prefix: <span class="ipsBadge" style="background:teal;"><abbr title="
Suffix: ">ABB</abbr></span>

But it's not ideal.

Another workaround would be to use the full name, and disable the 'include title in formatted prefix' setting, entering whatever text in the prefix/suffix fields manually.

• Tag Search Isolation - For example, I have a tag named Biome. When I click this tag in a forum topic list I only want it to show topics tagged 'Biome' within the current forum.

This used to be a feature way back on like IPB 3.1. Immensely invasive (required overriding a swathe of core code, was always causing problems), and highly prone to performance problems. I wish it could be done easily.

• Add Prefix Easily - Similar to how IPS has the Add Tag on the topic display now. The issue is, I can't prefix a topic from the forum's prefix's through this.
  • Tag Search Topic List View - When clicking on a tag, you get the generic search by tag with a bit of content preview. Would you be able to create an alternative display to this list just like a forum topic list?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

On 6/11/2017 at 8:48 AM, jair101 said:

Tags containing special symbols cannot be deleted via the tag manage tool, these ones for example:

chrome_2017-06-11_15-48-01.png

Are you running the latest version? Just making sure before I investigate. I addressed issues like this last release (I think).

On 6/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, jair101 said:

Also, just to confirm if I understand this correctly. I want to have a closed tag system in some forums, but open tags in all the others and through the suite (calendar, gallery, etc).

So what I need to do is leave the Posting -> Tags option to "Open" and define the closed tags per forum, is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

8 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

I'll look into that, thanks. What version are you running? I fixed a number of such issues in recent releases, maybe the mass-add tool escaped me though.

IPS 4.2b4 with 3.1.8.

Another workaround would be to use the full name, and disable the 'include title in formatted prefix' setting, entering whatever text in the prefix/suffix fields manually.

Didn't think of that, thanks.

This used to be a feature way back on like IPB 3.1. Immensely invasive (required overriding a swathe of core code, was always causing problems), and highly prone to performance problems. I wish it could be done easily.

I could be wrong, but doesn't IPS have this partly implemented(or maybe it's a feature of this app)? When you choose the forum option to show the allowed tags as categories instead of the subforums list on the board index, clicking a tag searches for just that tag in that forum if I recall correctly (but only from the board index)? Couldn't tags next to each topic on the topic index just link to perform a default IPS search with tagged topics in a single forum? However, then display a custom topic index (like my suggestion) with the results.

Thanks for the response.

Edited by Cyrem
17 hours ago, jair101 said:

Yeap, running 3.1.8

Okay. I'll have to get back to you.

17 hours ago, Cyrem said:

I could be wrong, but doesn't IPS have this partly implemented(or maybe it's a feature of this app)? When you choose the forum option to show the allowed tags as categories instead of the subforums list on the board index, clicking a tag searches for just that tag in that forum if I recall correctly (but only from the board index)? Couldn't tags next to each topic on the topic index just link to perform a default IPS search with tagged topics in a single forum?

Hmm. Doable. That would be a notable behavior change though.

17 hours ago, Cyrem said:

However, then display a custom topic index (like my suggestion) with the results.

Not realistically doable. Search results and topic list are completely different things, despite the similar content--and they keep getting more different the more topic list features IPS adds with each version.

I just tried to ask for minimum one tag, but the setting does not seem to work. When I create a topic, the warning that I should include minimum one tag is visible, but I am able to post a topic even without including any tags. 

I don't have the restrictions in the general posting settings, just per forum in this app. 

On 6/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, Ryan H. said:

Hmm. Doable. That would be a notable behavior change though.

Ah I though it would be just a matter of replacing the URL, as thats all that is required to do such a search.

On 6/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, Ryan H. said:

Not realistically doable. Search results and topic list are completely different things, despite the similar content--and they keep getting more different the more topic list features IPS adds with each version.

I guess it doesn't have to be the exact same, but an alternative listing would be nice. I just hate the search layout for things such as this.

New Questions

• Multiple Prefix's? (limited) I have an issue where some topics meet qualifications of 2 prefixes, but obviously, I can only choose 1. Would this be possible? Or will I be stuck with the second just being a tag?
  • I thought this application used to allow you to style individual topic tags? (from IPB 3) If you have no intention to add such a feature, could you perhaps add on each tag a html attribute such as data-tag="my-tag-name" so that we could target them in CSS?
Edited by Cyrem
On 6/14/2017 at 10:17 AM, jair101 said:

I just tried to ask for minimum one tag, but the setting does not seem to work. When I create a topic, the warning that I should include minimum one tag is visible, but I am able to post a topic even without including any tags. 

I don't have the restrictions in the general posting settings, just per forum in this app. 

I'll investigate that at some point.

15 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Ah I though it would be just a matter of replacing the URL, as thats all that is required to do such a search.

In theory, it would be--just saying, that would be a big change from how it currently works (and has worked for a long time), in the core product.

15 hours ago, Cyrem said:
  • Multiple Prefix's? (limited) I have an issue where some topics meet qualifications of 2 prefixes, but obviously, I can only choose 1. Would this be possible? Or will I be stuck with the second just being a tag?
  • I thought this application used to allow you to style individual topic tags? (from IPB 3) If you have no intention to add such a feature, could you perhaps add on each tag a html attribute such as data-tag="my-tag-name" so that we could target them in CSS?

Multiple prefixes isn't likely to happen. One record (topic) => one prefix is pretty deeply ingrained in IPS.

Styling tags hasn't ever been a feature. Conceptually it would hardly be different from prefixes (which of course are already covered). Can't say I've heard anyone ask for that before though. You could probably add the data-tag bit yourself in your theme templates.

14 hours ago, jair101 said:

Another possible bug. Even though I use closed tag system in one forum I am able to add free text tag when adding them in topic view, below the title. testtest here is not in the list of approved tags:

Okay. Not surprising, that core feature was only added recently, I haven't looked at it. I'll investigate what would be involved.

In theory, it would be--just saying, that would be a big change from how it currently works

Ah understood

Multiple prefixes isn't likely to happen. One record (topic) => one prefix is pretty deeply ingrained in IPS.

No worries, I might have to look at alternative ways to dealing with this issue.

Styling tags hasn't ever been a feature. Conceptually it would hardly be different from prefixes (which of course are already covered). Can't say I've heard anyone ask for that before though. You could probably add the data-tag bit yourself in your theme templates.

You're right, I remembered an older mod that allowed you to do this and got it confused. I actually have implemented this manually before, and probably will do now. So perhaps consider it as a future feature suggestion now ;).

My use case is I've abandoned having hundreds of forums (for games) in favour of simply using prefixes to indicate the related game. So any extra features (such as renaming the word "Prefix" in Create Topic to something custom per forum [currently I'm doing this with css]) that help with a system like that would go a long way :)

Edited by Cyrem
On 6/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, Ryan H. said:

Is it still as bad? Doesn't look like you still have duplicated tags/prefixes anymore, maybe just not shown in that screenshot though. Your problem is capitalization--prefixes are case sensitive now. They may not have been on 3.x. That means you need to either convert everything to lowercase (there's an AT&P tool to do that in one swoop), or manually fix your existing tags to have the right capitalization in the Manage Tags section. "et application" and "ET Application" are not the same thing. If you change "et application" to be capitalized, it'll style correctly.

Yes. Because it looks very awkward right now. On IPS 3.x I had correct. 

06.17.2017-11.07.47

It even moved correctly in IPS 4.x - 

06.17.2017-11.09.20

Is their some way to fix the issue? Because manually updating all prefixes it's going to be pain in da butt. I don't get why new topics are created with correct case and old topics are screwed up. I can give you access to admin CP of my test forum so you can take a look. Help is appreciated. 

3 hours ago, jair101 said:

Is there any way to assign a prefix to multiple forums apart from doing it one by one? I remember on the 3.x version it was possible to assign a prefix to multiple forums at once, but I don't see this option here now. 

+1 for this, it'll be much more convenient.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, AlexJ said:

Yes. Because it looks very awkward right now. On IPS 3.x I had correct.

It even moved correctly in IPS 4.x - 

06.17.2017-11.09.20

Is their some way to fix the issue? Because manually updating all prefixes it's going to be pain in da butt. I don't get why new topics are created with correct case and old topics are screwed up. I can give you access to admin CP of my test forum so you can take a look. Help is appreciated. 

I don't know. Maybe the IPS upgrade forced all tags to lowercase. Maybe somebody ran the force-lowercase tool without realizing it. Maybe something else happened. Any way about it, I explained what your options are. You either need to change everything to lowercase, and that's very easy to do--or if you don't want to do that, which seems to be the case, you need to edit each of the lowercase versions in the Manage Tags section to have the capitalization you want again.

On 6/18/2017 at 3:37 PM, jair101 said:

Is there any way to assign a prefix to multiple forums apart from doing it one by one? I remember on the 3.x version it was possible to assign a prefix to multiple forums at once, but I don't see this option here now. 

Not currently. I took it out of the prefix edit form because I was trying to make prefixes more generic, not directly associated to the Forums app. You can create and use a prefix for any tag/prefix-supporting app and content type, and the edit form for all of those types (for actually selecting usable prefixes) is exactly the same.

I realize chances are everyone uses it for forums though, and that change just makes it a pain.