Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

On 17/3/2017 at 1:55 PM, Ryan H. said:

See the first file under 'Release Patches' here. It's an IPS bug. https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4119-r59/

Okay, I'll say the same to you as well, then: Contact IPS support. Other people can install/upgrade fine, so it must be something to do with IPS and your server environment. It's probably not a problem with AT&P itself. IPS should be able to help you get to the bottom of it. If they need to talk to me, point them toward this post. Thanks.

hello how i can fix it? 

thanks 

23 minutes ago, krikri89 said:

hello how i can fix it? 

thanks 

You wait for the next update of IPS (4.1.19.1 probably) or you download the first patch (An issue has been identified where certain hooks may stop working on 4.1.19. If you are having problems with some third party plugins or applications, upload this file) mentioned here : https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4119-r59/ and you apply it via FTP in the same directory mentioned in the link of the patch (system/Theme)

Hi,

couple of question:

1. is there a way to display the prefix in search results? so far i see only tags there

2. how can merge 2 tags in to 1 (I have tags "item" and "items" and  want all those topics to be tagged "item" only, and get rid of other tag )

Edited by Sergey_SV
22 minutes ago, Sergey_SV said:

Hi,

couple of question:

1. is there a way to display the prefix in search results? so far i see only tags there

2. how can merge 2 tags in to 1 (I have tags "item" and "items" and  want all those topics to be tagged "item" only, and get rid of other tag )

1. That should happen out-of-box. If you're running 4.1.19, see Jujuwar's post above about the Theme.php patch.

2. You can rename one tag to be the same as the other; that's effectively merging them. Go into 'Manage Tags', find 'items', edit to be 'item', then save. That should do the trick.

Hi Ryan, 

I am converting from 3.4 and noticed that not all of my custom prefixes are converted. For example in this screenshot, all three topics should have the image prefix, but it shown only on the bottom one:

chrome_2017-03-20_20-28-04.png

In fact if I use the search to list all content prefixed with this prefix, you can see it is pretty random across the board - some have the image prefix it and some not. 

chrome_2017-03-20_20-28-50.png

17 minutes ago, jair101 said:

Hi Ryan, 

I am converting from 3.4 and noticed that not all of my custom prefixes are converted. For example in this screenshot, all three topics should have the image prefix, but it shown only on the bottom one:

In fact if I use the search to list all content prefixed with this prefix, you can see it is pretty random across the board - some have the image prefix it and some not. 

chrome_2017-03-20_20-28-50.png

I may not be much help with internationalization/extended character set issues I'm afraid. Are there any differences between the instances in capitalization or spacing? The most likely explanation is that some are an exact match for the prefix, and the rest are not.

28 minutes ago, Ryan H. said:

I may not be much help with internationalization/extended character set issues I'm afraid. Are there any differences between the instances in capitalization or spacing? The most likely explanation is that some are an exact match for the prefix, and the rest are not.

They are all migrated from 3.4 where there are no issues. Here is the screenshot from 3.4, same for the top three topics:

chrome_2017-03-20_21-21-29.png

Actually I just noticed that the prefix on the bottom one (that works correctly with 4.x) is with capital - Пътеводител. The other two are with lower case - пътеводител. But still, the image prefix works on all three there?

3 hours ago, jair101 said:

They are all migrated from 3.4 where there are no issues. Here is the screenshot from 3.4, same for the top three topics:

chrome_2017-03-20_21-21-29.png

Actually I just noticed that the prefix on the bottom one (that works correctly with 4.x) is with capital - Пътеводител. The other two are with lower case - пътеводител. But still, the image prefix works on all three there?

In 3.x tags were case-insensitive; in 4.x they are not. You can fix them so they're all consistent in the tag manager ('Manage Tags'). You could try the 'force tags to lowercase' setting and tool, but I don't know how that would interact with the extended character set.

2 hours ago, sofos said:

Hi @Ryan H., it is possible to show tag as categories? Very important for me.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There is (or at least used to be?) a setting to show tags in forum descriptions, maybe that's what you're looking for?

9 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

In 3.x tags were case-insensitive; in 4.x they are not. You can fix them so they're all consistent in the tag manager ('Manage Tags'). You could try the 'force tags to lowercase' setting and tool, but I don't know how that would interact with the extended character set.

I just tried and what happened is that the prefix is now shown for the top two topics here, but not for the third one, so basically exactly the opposite as before that. 

I guess the prefix itself got the lower case,but the topics weren't updated. 

Can you please take a look at checking this or officially you won't support other languages but English?

3 hours ago, jair101 said:

I just tried and what happened is that the prefix is now shown for the top two topics here, but not for the third one, so basically exactly the opposite as before that. 

I guess the prefix itself got the lower case,but the topics weren't updated. 

Can you please take a look at checking this or officially you won't support other languages but English?

Use the tag manager, not the prefix manager. You need to change the tags themselves to all be the same, and all match the prefix exactly.

8 minutes ago, Ryan H. said:

Use the tag manager, not the prefix manager. You need to change the tags themselves to all be the same, and all match the prefix exactly.

The tag manager do not recognize the different case of the tags, i.e. it lists them only with lower case even though some are tagged with upper case. 

13 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. There is (or at least used to be?) a setting to show tags in forum descriptions, maybe that's what you're looking for?

Display the tags as links below the forum description, like subforums (as it already does for prefixes).

Edited by sofos
2 hours ago, jair101 said:

The tag manager do not recognize the different case of the tags, i.e. it lists them only with lower case even though some are tagged with upper case. 

You're absolutely certain the uppercase version doesn't appear anywhere else on the list/pages? That seems very unusual.

2 hours ago, sofos said:

Display the tags as links below the forum description, like subforums (as it already does for prefixes).

Oh, I see. No, that's not currently a feature, not something I have planned, but may be something I consider down the line. Thanks for the suggestion.

24 minutes ago, Ryan H. said:

You're absolutely certain the uppercase version doesn't appear anywhere else on the list/pages? That seems very unusual

Yeap. Search shows only lower case tags, even though pagination shows two pages, there are no results on the second one. There is no difference if I search with upper case or lower case, the results are the lower case tags. 

atp1.thumb.png.e4a0a2aa5308e126aef00808781c02cc.png

On the site itself, you can see both upper and lower case letters for the same tag:

atp2.png.69dae62fd690588d7c62363a1bee5e8c.png

8 hours ago, jair101 said:

Yeap. Search shows only lower case tags, even though pagination shows two pages, there are no results on the second one. There is no difference if I search with upper case or lower case, the results are the lower case tags.

On the site itself, you can see both upper and lower case letters for the same tag:

Okay. I don't have an immediate answer for you. I'll have to investigate and get back to you. That puts you at the mercy of my schedule, so this can take a while.

5 hours ago, Rashed Ahmed said:

When creating a new thread you have the choice of choosing a prefix, but once you post a thread the prefix isn't added to the thread.

In case you didn't see Jujuwar's reply: If you're running 4.1.19, please upgrade to 4.1.19.1. That should resolve the issue.

Does this work with IP.Pages?

I use forums for my comments on records in my IP.Pages database and am trying to set a prefix for each topic created when an article is submitted, but no prefix is saved upon submission.

However I can manually edit those topics to set a prefix and it works fine. So it seems like something isn't saving in IP.Pages when creating a new record.

Edited by kotaco