Jump to content

Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x


Ryan H.

Recommended Posts

On 3/14/2017 at 7:56 AM, Subseven said:

When I bought it...I understood that it would continue to be upgraded/updated too. Those are new versions. This sucks man.

It was supported with free upgrades through the major release (3.x), all the way from 3.1 to 3.4. I don't have the license terms for that old version handy right now, but that's the policy I've always followed. IPS 4 is a completely different software package and architecture from IPB 3, requiring a complete rewrite and completely different code. You'll find the same policy is true for almost every other resource/application on the marketplace.

Edited by Ryan H.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, @Ryan H.

I just upgraded to IPS 4.1.18 and tried to upgrade your app from 3.1.17 to 3.1.18, but got this error:

1C133/9 The application you uploaded cannot be installed because it is not a valid application, the archive is corrupt or the file and directory permissions in /applications do not allow it.

I already applied all patches from this page.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, motomac said:

Hi, @Ryan H.

I just upgraded to IPS 4.1.18 and tried to upgrade your app from 3.1.17 to 3.1.18, but got this error:


1C133/9 The application you uploaded cannot be installed because it is not a valid application, the archive is corrupt or the file and directory permissions in /applications do not allow it.

I already applied all patches from this page.

Not sure what to tell you; I'm not aware of anyone else experiencing that problem with the current version. Could you try downloading and extracting the app again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, motomac said:

I downloaded it from the Marketplace (twice), unpacked and tried to upload advancedtagsprefixes.tar in the ACP (both "Upload a new version" and Install new app). Do you mean I need to upload files manually to the server?

No, I was talking about the downloading and unpacking step. What program are you using to unpack it? Could you try 7Zip or a similar program, just to be sure?

If that doesn't help, I don't know what to tell you except try contacting IPS support about the problem. As I said, nobody else has had problems installing/upgrading to 3.1.8 as far as I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

I currently have 3 tags that cannot be deleted -- they disappear when the delete action is selected but then re-appear on reload. They are all using the "&" character. Is this supposed to work, after the fix with special characters?

Expected so, but clearly not. I'll look into that case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello seems this plugin after new update 4.1.19 not work 

can you update please? 

i using version adv tag & prefix 3.1.8 

but when plugin is enable no show any prefix or tag. if disable then show standard tag 

Edited by krikri89
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

Not sure what to tell you; I'm not aware of anyone else experiencing that problem with the current version. Could you try downloading and extracting the app again?

I'm having this issue since the last 5 or 6 last upgrades or Advanced tags prefixes !

To upgrade the only way is to upload manually the files in the archive, than run the ipb upgrade system and checking the plugin checkbox.

The automatic upgrade via the admin panel always fails with this same message.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2017 at 10:18 AM, Ryan H. said:

It was supported with free upgrades through the major release (3.x), all the way from 3.1 to 3.4. I don't have the license terms for that old version handy right now, but that's the policy I've always followed. IPS 4 is a completely different software package and architecture from IPB 3, requiring a complete rewrite and completely different code. You'll find the same policy is true for almost every other resource/application on the marketplace.

Not true. There are others who don't make people pay all over again. You label it how you want I won't be paying again. I'll label it greedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Subseven said:

Not true. There are others who don't make people pay all over again. You label it how you want I won't be paying again. I'll label it greedy.

I don't know where you've been for the past year but almost all the great and complex apps have been a new purchase with IPS 4. 

You can label it what you like but attitudes like yours with no concept of the complexities of code changes between 3 and 4 is probably the reason we don't have more good developers around anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, krikri89 said:

Hello seems this plugin after new update 4.1.19 not work 

can you update please? 

i using version adv tag & prefix 3.1.8 

but when plugin is enable no show any prefix or tag. if disable then show standard tag 

See the first file under 'Release Patches' here. It's an IPS bug. https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4119-r59/

3 hours ago, EROAN said:

I'm having this issue since the last 5 or 6 last upgrades or Advanced tags prefixes !

To upgrade the only way is to upload manually the files in the archive, than run the ipb upgrade system and checking the plugin checkbox.

The automatic upgrade via the admin panel always fails with this same message.

Okay, I'll say the same to you as well, then: Contact IPS support. Other people can install/upgrade fine, so it must be something to do with IPS and your server environment. It's probably not a problem with AT&P itself. IPS should be able to help you get to the bottom of it. If they need to talk to me, point them toward this post. Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, motomac said:

@Ryan H. Rhett Buck, Marc Stridgen and Jim Morrissey have been trying to convince me it's application problem for 2 days. They are sure it's not an IPS problem and don't want to escalate my ticket to the next level.

What did they say exactly?

I just tried to update this application on my test site and I don't get any error.
Did you try to unzip the archive with 7Zip (if you don't already do it with this one)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2017 at 8:13 AM, NoGi said:

I don't know where you've been for the past year but almost all the great and complex apps have been a new purchase with IPS 4. 

You can label it what you like but attitudes like yours with no concept of the complexities of code changes between 3 and 4 is probably the reason we don't have more good developers around anymore. 

I've been on cruise control with 3.4.6.

Don't be talking about attitudes like mine being the reason for developers leaving. I stated a FACT. Another FACT is a lot of the developers left because 4 is a pain for them. Heck. Even Ryan himself runs 3.4.x. I know 4.x.x is more complex. I also know that some addons are with upgrades/updates no matter the version. Want to see somebody that stands behind his products from day one? Check out Devfuse just to name one.

I have NO PROBLEM paying for addons that are stood behind for the long haul. To charge again is deceptive and greedy in my book. It's part of upgrades/updates no matter the version if it is not specifically said so in the item description (in which case I'd at least acknowledge and possibly purchase). Some say so. Some don't.

Edited by Subseven
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Subseven said:

I've been on cruise control with 3.4.6.

Don't be talking about attitudes like mine being the reason for developers leaving. I stated a FACT. Another FACT is a lot of the developers left because 4 is a pain for them. Heck. Even Ryan himself runs 3.4.x. I know 4.x.x is more complex. I also know that some addons are with upgrades/updates no matter the version. Want to see somebody that stands behind his products from day one? Check out Devfuse just to name one.

I have NO PROBLEM paying for addons that are stood behind for the long haul. To charge again is deceptive and greedy in my book. It's part of upgrades/updates no matter the version if it is not specifically said so in the item description (in which case I'd at least acknowledge and possibly purchase). Some say so. Some don't.

"Ryan himself runs 3.4.x" -- referring to Zybez? I don't own that site; I just administrate it. Anyway, we haven't upgraded because there's no budget for the hundreds of hours that would go into recreating all of our custom functionality for 4.x. Not because 4.x is more complex or we're incapable of working with it. I wish we could upgrade; it just doesn't make sense for our situation.

I'm not going to go on arguing the point with you, because frankly I don't care if you purchase again or not. It's there if you want it, and it does what it's supposed to (better, actually, than the 3.x version did). You're free to think what you want. I made my decision, and I stand by it and this application.

I did dig up the 3.x install guide, though, and I'm 90% certain the 3.x description/license terms said exactly the same thing before purchase. http://i.imgur.com/VKXECvf.png

9 hours ago, motomac said:

@Ryan H. Rhett Buck, Marc Stridgen and Jim Morrissey have been trying to convince me it's application problem for 2 days. They are sure it's not an IPS problem and don't want to escalate my ticket to the next level.

I'm sorry and frustrated to hear that. Could you ask one of them to reach out to me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2017 at 5:12 PM, Ryan H. said:

I'll look into that in the next week or two. Thanks for the detailed info.

Following up on my previous post, I think it's possible that search-by-tag isn't working at all anymore – even one-word tags that were normally added to a post aren't pulling up in the search. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  1. No problem with the 4.X version of the add-on being charged for separately.
  2. Problem with things continuing to break on 4.X updates... I get that the finger can be pointed in both directions, IPS devs & add-on devs, but finger pointing isn't helping all that much... right now there's a 4.1.19 update marked as security-related that breaks this add-on, leaving two options:
    1. Update, be secure, and break the add-on.
    2. Wait, be less secure, and hope the add-on is fixed or that IPS patches to 4.1.19.1

Both options are poo. Whatever can be done to prevent poo options being forced on us is an improvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, PandemicSoul said:

Following up on my previous post, I think it's possible that search-by-tag isn't working at all anymore – even one-word tags that were normally added to a post aren't pulling up in the search. 

Hmm. What version of IPB? Have you tried running a search reindex? That can sometimes fix search sync issues.

5 hours ago, djpretzel said:
  1. No problem with the 4.X version of the add-on being charged for separately.
  2. Problem with things continuing to break on 4.X updates... I get that the finger can be pointed in both directions, IPS devs & add-on devs, but finger pointing isn't helping all that much... right now there's a 4.1.19 update marked as security-related that breaks this add-on, leaving two options:
    1. Update, be secure, and break the add-on.
    2. Wait, be less secure, and hope the add-on is fixed or that IPS patches to 4.1.19.1

Both options are poo. Whatever can be done to prevent poo options being forced on us is an improvement.

I'm sorry upgrades keep breaking things, but there's little I can do to prevent that. I wish IPS kept a more stable framework, but the fact of the matter is they're obligated to add features/fix bugs, and their framework and chosen development/release cycle means we're at their mercy for keeping things compatible. All we can do is wait for the updates, see what broke, and fix as needed.  I've always patched promptly when upgrades broke things.

In this case, the 4.1.19 issue is actually a core bug. IPS has posted a patch, which you can apply at will to fix AT&P and other affected hooks/apps. See the first bit about 'Release Patches' here, regarding Theme.php: https://invisionpower.com/release-notes/4119-r59/

Hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...