Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

To add insult to injury this also doesn't explain why prefixes that are currently set that equal values of prefixes before I upgraded, didn't change over to my prefix settings.

http://distant-fantasies.net/forum/72-chat-discussion/

Note that there are 2 tags that are "Roleplay" that I actually changed via this mod to the "roleplay" tag but something caused them to not match (likely capital letter).

More annoying is what I title a tag is auto-converted to lowercase so in a drop down instead of showing me the "Roleplay" it shows me "roleplay" which is just ugly to look at.

If you have to keep the lowercase setting enabled, like I said, there's a tool to convert everything to lowercase for you. All you have to do is click one button.

But I'll see about whether that behavior has changed. I think it probably has to be the way it is, or else matching them up for formatting becomes problematic. If you want the capital letters, your best bet would really be to disable that lowercase setting.

You're correct, I can most certainly convert all of my tags to lower case, that's not the problem I'm reporting anymore. Now my issue becomes that my drop down for prefixes will be all lower case. So instead of saying:

Coding
Graphics
Roleplay
Entertainment

I now have:

coding
graphics
roleplay
entertainment

Which doesn't look pleasant, and for a community of writers, also looks a lot annoying because it's improperly cased.

I could also switch to the "not all lowercase" format but what does that do for my current tags that would become improperly formatted at that point? Now all of my "all lowercase" tags will no longer be compatible with the mod and so everything 3.X and anything I've changed over since the upgrade will be moot.

You're correct, I can most certainly convert all of my tags to lower case, that's not the problem I'm reporting anymore. Now my issue becomes that my drop down for prefixes will be all lower case. So instead of saying:

Coding
Graphics
Roleplay
Entertainment

I now have:

coding
graphics
roleplay
entertainment

Which doesn't look pleasant, and for a community of writers, also looks a lot annoying because it's improperly cased.

I could also switch to the "not all lowercase" format but what does that do for my current tags that would become improperly formatted at that point? Now all of my "all lowercase" tags will no longer be compatible with the mod and so everything 3.X and anything I've changed over since the upgrade will be moot.

I understand what you're saying, and I responded to that specifically. I can't fix your uppercase/lowercase problem without making the system case-insensitive altogether. I can't do that because it would be worse for performance and it could just as well break things for any site relying on the current (case-sensitive) behavior. Would be a breaking change.

As for changing from lower- to non-lower, again, use the admin manage tags tool. You can fix each tag/prefix in bulk. Unless you have hundreds of prefixes to go through and correct, it's not going to take you a massive amount of time.

It's frustrating and time consuming but it will work. I don't have hundreds of prefixes to fix but it is an incompatibility with the upgrade from 3.x to 4.x because in the previous version the compatibility of the lowercase force did not force the look.

Perhaps it could be possible in a future version to have an additional "optional" field for those of us that like to convert all tags to lowercase for conformity sake to have a "Display" option that is used for dropdowns and the the "title"? That way if the tag is roleplay but the display is "Roleplay" and that's what is shown in the dropdown. Honestly? I don't even care about the header because I know it was all lowercase before. That dropdown though? That's make or break for me.

Perhaps it could be possible in a future version to have an additional "optional" field for those of us that like to convert all tags to lowercase for conformity sake to have a "Display" option that is used for dropdowns and the the "title"? That way if the tag is roleplay but the display is "Roleplay" and that's what is shown in the dropdown. Honestly? I don't even care about the header because I know it was all lowercase before. That dropdown though? That's make or break for me.

I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for the help, it worked out for the most part I'm having a few glitches with editting tags with special characters but I'm considering just deleting them.

I do have a bug to report though @Ryan H.

When editing an original post that has a prefix set (even in prefix required posts) making no change to the prefix you save your post and it deletes/removes the prefix. If you go in and edit it again, you can change the prefix back but this is a way out of forcing a prefix in required areas which is not good for me.

When editing an original post that has a prefix set (even in prefix required posts) making no change to the prefix you save your post and it deletes/removes the prefix. If you go in and edit it again, you can change the prefix back but this is a way out of forcing a prefix in required areas which is not good for me.

Somebody else reported that a while back. I have a fix for it, will be included with the next update.

Thanks.

Is it possible to add mass replace tags with prefixes? I bought it, but some prefixes weren't restored (I upgraded to IPB4), so I was just wondering before I spawn a couple grunts to go out and do it manually one by one (though that's over 10k topics :( ). There isn't anything in common with each post inside, nor the title, just the tag.

Edited by RiotandHispanic

Is it possible to add mass replace tags with prefixes? I bought it, but some prefixes weren't restored (I upgraded to IPB4), so I was just wondering before I spawn a couple grunts to go out and do it manually one by one (though that's over 10k topics :( ). There isn't anything in common with each post inside, nor the title, just the tag.

Hmm. If it's all instances of a given tag, you could change them all to prefixes pretty easily in the database. See table 'core_tags', there's a column there 'prefix' or such, 0 or 1. You could change those, then run the rebuild tags cache tool.

Hmm. If it's all instances of a given tag, you could change them all to prefixes pretty easily in the database. See table 'core_tags', there's a column there 'prefix' or such, 0 or 1. You could change those, then run the rebuild tags cache tool.

I'll give it a go.

Edited by RiotandHispanic

There are no tags in the forums I want that have 0 in the prefix column :( Thoughts? I recached several times, and ran your "db fix" already.

There are no tags in the forums I want that have 0 in the prefix column :( Thoughts? I recached several times, and ran your "db fix" already.

Oh, okay. I thought you did have them on topics as tags, and wanted to turn them into prefixes. If not, you have three options:

1. Use the mass-add tool using search terms (you said probably won't work)
  2. Use forum saved actions (formerly multimods) such that mods/admins can check topics to apply the prefix to, then use the saved action to fix all at once.
  3. Edit each one-by-one to set the prefix.

Oh, okay. I thought you did have them on topics as tags, and wanted to turn them into prefixes. If not, you have three options:

1. Use the mass-add tool using search terms (you said probably won't work)
  2. Use forum saved actions (formerly multimods) such that mods/admins can check topics to apply the prefix to, then use the saved action to fix all at once.
  3. Edit each one-by-one to set the prefix.

Then send grunts to do it, both 2 and 3. That's what I've been doing, I guess this will do, thanks!

I"m having trouble migrating work flow from the 3.x version of this to the 4.x one. Here's where I'm hitting a wall, maybe I'm just doing it wrong:

• I'm using a closed tag system
  • 6 default tags
  • I have a forum where I want the 6 default tabs + 2 new ones just for that forum (let's call them one-off tags)
  • If I enter the 2 one-off tags in the forum settings then I can't use the defaults there.
  • If I click use defaults, I can't use the 2 one-off tags.

How do I use defaults + one-off tags in the same forum?

Edited by David T. Cole

I"m having trouble migrating work flow from the 3.x version of this to the 4.x one. Here's where I'm hitting a wall, maybe I'm just doing it wrong:

• I'm using a closed tag system
  • 6 default tags
  • I have a forum where I want the 6 default tabs + 2 new ones just for that forum (let's call them one-off tags)
  • If I enter the 2 one-off tags in the forum settings then I can't use the defaults there.
  • If I click use defaults, I can't use the 2 one-off tags.

How do I use defaults + one-off tags in the same forum?

Enter all eight on that forum (your one-offs, plus the defaults). Worked the same way on 3.x, AFAIK.