Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

Suggestions:

1. When you add / delete a tag in the Tag Editor, I think it would be much more efficient to do it in a smaller modal window AND you stay on the same page. Each page refresh takes you back to the very beginning, which can be cumbersome if you're on later pages.

2.  Prefixes - Allow a grouping or category of prefixes.  For example, some prefixes may be for the "marketplace" (buying, selling, for sale, proposal) and others might be general discussion (politics, business, world news, humor, tech).   

3.  Allowed Prefixes in Categories - The ability to easily add ALL prefixes or grouping of prefixes.  

And can you sort by tags and/or prefixes easily by clicking them and is there a sort menu somewhere?

The app does not change sorting/filtering options at all. It'll behave the same way it does in a vanilla install. You can click tags and prefixes, and it will take you to a search for all content having that tag/prefix. It will not filter or sort within the forum directly.

I'm in favor of prefix sorting option. :smile:

I understand, and I expected that kind of feedback. You're right, it is a large increase. The way I see it, the price of the app for 3.x (along with many other resources) was well under value, and that's a hard cycle to break out of. I'm taking this opportunity to do so. If anything, having large-scale applications all over for $20 does a disservice to everyone, by discouraging talented developers from ever getting involved in the first place. The people capable of that kind of work tend to go where their effort is best spent. I also do work for another (much larger) software ecosystem, Magento. Plugins there average around $200 from reputable companies. Not entirely comparable, but still: A very different ballgame.

If someone wants to undercut me, they're always welcome to try. The reality is I spent a lot of evenings for the better part of the last two months putting this together for everyone.

(I'm also hoping it might help curb piracy. I've never seen it so widespread as for IP.Board 3.x. Doesn't make sense. Suppose we'll see.)

Your capitalistic prerogative, but ...

You are going to lose at least one customer with unreasonable pricing like this ... and subscription-based to boot ... and I cannot even try before I buy ... and it 'feels' to me like you are counting on current-user dependency on your plugin to get them past the inner conflict of justifying the subscription-based pricing. This is price gouging in my book.

You really think that this software is as essential as antivirus protection? You are pricing it like that. This extension is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have (unless you are counting on existing customers not being able to live without it). It's a plugin. A good one, but still ...

I use your extension in v3, and it works quite well (with some minor issues/limitations). When I move to IPB v4, I will happily return as a paying customer if you ever decide to price your extension more reasonably. You want 42 bucks? Fine. It hurts, but fine. You want $14/year? No way! I will learn to live without this one under the current conditions.

:/

PS: Price increase increases likelihood of piracy, especially when people think the price is unreasonable. IMO, you are effectively making it more of a target for piracy with subscription-based pricing.

I use your extension in v3, and it works quite well (with some minor issues/limitations). When I move to IPB v4, I will happily return as a paying customer if you ever decide to price your extension more reasonably. You want 42 bucks? Fine. It hurts, but fine. You want $14/year? No way! I will learn to live without this one under the current conditions.

You're under no obligation to continue renewal after buying. Unless IPS makes big changes down the line to how things work, the version you buy will probably work for quite some time. That being the case, you're just missing out on support, new features, and possibly bug fixes after the year expires.

Jujuwar, thanks, I'll look into that.

You're under no obligation to continue renewal after buying. Unless IPS makes big changes down the line to how things work, the version you buy will probably work for quite some time. That being the case, you're just missing out on support, new features, and possibly bug fixes after the year expires.

Jujuwar, thanks, I'll look into that.

I guess I assumed that my credit card would be billed automatically each year on the due date ... just one more subscription I need to prevent from billing me recurrently. If that is not the case, then I guess I wonder what the point is. I can't imagine you won't answer questions on this forum, regardless if you get them from someone who has renewed or not.

Either way, you do good work, and the extension is worth $42 (to me if not my other site admins), but I might wait until this version matures and gets any potential bugs worked out though larger community use as IP v4 matures.

Thanks

Edited by z929669

It seems that when I set "Tag mode" to "open" or "inherit", if a user leave tag field blank, a blank tag is created

I took a stab at this one, but it should be fixed now.

When searching, all links with a prefix cannot be clicked whereas those without a prefix can.

Fixt

--

I just pushed out version 3.0.4 to fix some nagging issues. If your prefix formats didn't carry through the upgrade, you can try running the repair tool now to fix that. If there are no prefixes, it will look for old data. If you created new ones since, remove them for it to run.

Also, I came across a likely bug in the IPS 4.0 tag system affecting certain configurations. Opened a report about it here: https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/408-cant-post-tags-if-global-mode-is-closed-but-none-defined-r6780/

What's New in Version 3.0.4

• Fixed forum 'defined tags' and allowed prefixes inputs not behaving well.
  • Fixed forum 'default prefix' setting defaulting to the wrong value in some circumstances.
  • Fixed blank tags in some circumstances.
  • Fixed search results not linking properly if the content has a prefix.
  • Fixed a permissions error on forum prefix selection.
  • Fixed prefix formatting pre/post fields being required.
  • Added a potential fix for lost data on upgrade via the repair tool.

Your capitalistic prerogative, but ...

You are going to lose at least one customer with unreasonable pricing like this ... and subscription-based to boot ... and I cannot even try before I buy ... and it 'feels' to me like you are counting on current-user dependency on your plugin to get them past the inner conflict of justifying the subscription-based pricing. This is price gouging in my book.

You really think that this software is as essential as antivirus protection? You are pricing it like that. This extension is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have (unless you are counting on existing customers not being able to live without it). It's a plugin. A good one, but still ...

:/

PS: Price increase increases likelihood of piracy, especially when people think the price is unreasonable. IMO, you are effectively making it more of a target for piracy with subscription-based pricing.

I agree i had this plugin for 3.4.x and i think its wrong that the full asking price is being asked of old customers. I won't be re-purchasing again. 

Also whats the point of a yearly subscription if you are just going to charge people the full application price when IPS gets around to 5.0 etc

Edited by Carl M

I've purchased and installed.  All of my prefixes that are setup from 3.x do show up on my forum, but all grey, the styling doesn't appear to come though.  

Also when I create a new topic the list of prefixes box is not appearing.

I have recached all tags.

Edited by NathanR

I've purchased and installed.  All of my prefixes that are setup from 3.x do show up on my forum, but all grey, the styling doesn't appear to come though.  

Also when I create a new topic the list of prefixes box is not appearing.

Could you run the repair tool under advanced tools? I've had a few people say the upgrade process isn't migrating prefixes properly, but that should fix it.

Yes I ran the repair tool as well, do I need to recache again?

No, that shouldn't impact anything. Does anything show up if you click Manage Prefixes? What was the full repair tool response message?

Edited by Ryan H.

No, that shouldn't impact anything. Does anything show up if you click Manage Prefixes? What was the full repair tool response message?

Yes all of my prefixes show up in the admincp and on my forum itself, just no color formatting.

http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/forum/206-ships-packages/

Response:Looking for things to fix...
Table advancedtagsprefixes_prefixes appears fine.
If any other database schema errors existed, they should be fixed.
Prefixes collation appears to be utf8mb4_unicode_ci... forums collation is utf8mb4_unicode_ci.
Everything seems okay.
If you still have problems, go ask for support.

Edited by NathanR

It appears that in the "Saved Actions" area of IPS, if you tell it to add a prefix, it doesn't add the formatting but rather the default red IPS tag when you run a saved action on a thread.

Check capitalization. Does the prefix that's being added exactly match the one you have formatting defined for? It's case sensitive. If you have lowercase tags enabled, that could throw it off. (I don't think you do, but worth mentioning regardless.)

I created a new prefix called TEST which was highlighted red with white text. There was nothing else similar in either Tags or Prefixes.

I assigned it to a Saved Action, did the action, and it is still displaying it as an IPS maroon tag rather than formatted.

A few bugs...

Advanced Tags & Prefixes version: 3.0.4
Install type: Fresh install
IPB version: 4.0.7

1. When there is only 1 prefix created, it does not save when adding it into a forum.

2. When a topic prefix is set, and you edit the post, the prefix automatically adds in the Tags. If I edit 3 times, the same prefix is added in Tags 3 times. It only can be removed manually. Even after the Tags are removed, if you edit the post again, the Prefix is added into Tags.

3. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but forums that do not have Prefixes show the Prefix drop down. The drop down should not be shown if there are no prefixes. It occurs regardless of prefix setting open or closed.

A few bugs...

Advanced Tags & Prefixes version: 3.0.4
Install type: Fresh install
IPB version: 4.0.7

1. When there is only 1 prefix created, it does not save when adding it into a forum.

2. When a topic prefix is set, and you edit the post, the prefix automatically adds in the Tags. If I edit 3 times, the same prefix is added in Tags 3 times. It only can be removed manually. Even after the Tags are removed, if you edit the post again, the Prefix is added into Tags.

3. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but forums that do not have Prefixes show the Prefix drop down. The drop down should not be shown if there are no prefixes. It occurs regardless of prefix setting open or closed.

I'll look into those. Thanks for the detailed run-down.

I created a new prefix called TEST which was highlighted red with white text. There was nothing else similar in either Tags or Prefixes.

I assigned it to a Saved Action, did the action, and it is still displaying it as an IPS maroon tag rather than formatted.

I couldn't reproduce this in testing. If you want me to look into it, send me credentials again and I'll get to it when I can.

@GrooveOnBeat, all of your issues should be fixed. Thank you. #1 looks like an IPS core bug, but I found a workaround.

What's New in Version 3.0.5

• Fixed JS snippets not being loaded on some admin forms. (You can preview your formatting again! yay! I didn't realize it only worked on my dev site...)
  • Fixed prefix input showing up despite no prefixes being configured.
  • Fixed prefix being added to the tags input on edit.
  • Fixed being unable to save the prefix on a forum if only one prefix exists.
  • Changed 'lowercase' tool to be more exhaustive.
Edited by Ryan H.

@GrooveOnBeat, all of your issues should be fixed. Thank you. #1 looks like an IPS core bug, but I found a workaround.

What's New in Version 3.0.5

• Fixed JS snippets not being loaded on some admin forms. (You can preview your formatting again! yay! I didn't realize it only worked on my dev site...)
  • Fixed prefix input showing up despite no prefixes being configured.
  • Fixed prefix being added to the tags input on edit.
  • Fixed being unable to save the prefix on a forum if only one prefix exists.
  • Changed 'lowercase' tool to be more exhaustive.

Glad to be of help! :lol:

Thanks for the quick update! I'll install 3.0.5 and if I find anything else I'll let you know. :smile: