Opening the forum up to Non-License holders

Izaya Orihara

While I and many of the actual license holders of IPB are happy to see a more open company from IPS, one of the current complaints/issues of non-license users is that parts of the site are closed off.

I am not sure if this is legit feedback/complaint or simply wanting to find something to be negative or critical about, but perhaps trying to open up the site a little more to non-users so it doesn't look as if the community has something to hide or what have you.

According to one user, it makes it difficult for a prospective customer to choose IPS over other companies without being able to see current issues and resolutions to them as well as being unable to see marketplace topics and what not.

As a licensed owner, I don't really think outside of my own needs very often but it does make me wonder if a more open site is better overall for the company. :) After all it gives people who don't own licenses one less thing to complain about on particular admin sites and what not :)

According to one user, it makes it difficult for a prospective customer to choose IPS over other companies without being able to see current issues and resolutions to them as well as being unable to see marketplace topics and what not.

Marketplace topics contains tips and fixes for paid files , so many many times shared in warez sites. So NO, a Visitor should not have access to this area.

I like posting (site issues etc.) in a private atmosphere.

Marketplace topics contains tips and fixes for paid files , so many many times shared in warez sites. So NO, a Visitor should not have access to this area.

Oh I don't mind either way really. But I understand where you both are coming from. It was a discussion on admin site I am on with a user who was being a bit critical that IPS support forums are so closed off to non-licensed users in comparison to say XF which lets you view everything......I understand why it is the way it is here now but he and others of course had something to say negative about it. So I figured i'd make a suggestion here to get replies :)

But a license; it will open.

Their logic is, prospective customers may want to see of any current issues(And if they are pressing) before buying a product. since they wouldn't know about them without buying the license.

Which looking at VB5, I can understand this mentality, but at the same time I understand your stance on it as well Adriano.

Which looking at VB5, I can understand this mentality, but at the same time I understand your stance on it as well Adriano.

vBulletin.com has - like IPS's Client Lounge - a special area for their clients. It's called "Licensed customer feedback".

I like the way it is - here and there 
:smile:

Makes sense

vBulletin.com has - like IPS's Client Lounge - a special area for their clients. It's called "Licensed customer feedback".
I like the way it is - here and there 
:smile:

Makes Sense :)

I do however thing non-licensed owners should be able to also contribute feedback about the product though. Even if we don't open the forum to be visible to non-licensed owners , perhaps they should get the opportunity to view things such as the server forum OR the product feedback(they can view but not leave feedback).

Only because one of the users from one of those 'admin' forums(XF biased) was complaining about some major bug/flaw he found but unable to do so and then another user was going on and on about 'if it gets approved." and "they probably wont approve it because it makes them look bad"

I guess in my mind, I am hoping to suggest any solution to limit unnecessary or weak complaints against the company as much as possible so I figured I'd bring it to their attention :D So glad for the feedback, I never knew the customers actually prefer it the way it is here.

• Management

I can't say I've ever seen anyone with genuine interest in our products contact sales and say "I can't give you feedback or get support for a product I don't yet have, why should I purchase?" and as you've seen, many (maybe most?) clients prefer it in its current state. They used to be open ages ago and we closed some of them because clients voiced concerns over essentially providing support for unlicensed sites. Because marketplace submissions are not ours and we do not yet officially provide support via the community (they are peer-to-peer) based, we choose to respect the wishes of those who are contributing content. Feedback forums are world-viewable and, in my mind, those are the key areas a potential client are going to be interested in. 

We used to allow non-customers to post feedback. What happens is you get end-users that are reporting things or providing feedback on items that aren't part of the software, but are actually related to customizations the admin of their site has made -- leading to much confusion and time-wasting on our end for something we have no control over anyway. We prefer to limit feedback to the owner of the site and if you own a site, you would (or should) have a license and would be able to access the feedback forum, rendering this a moot point. Even former/inactive clients can access feedback forums. If there's a "serious bug" and the person is not a site owner, they should contact the site owner responsible and of course, we have a contact form on our site for general information and security reports. 

Thanks for opening a dialogue on this though. As always, if the overwhelming feedback necessitates a different direction, we're always happy to consider a change. 

How does a non-licensed 'owner' have access to the software to give any kind of feedback?

I think in usage to this site. Someone discovered something while using the support site or something.

Thanks Lindy for replying here and I certainly understand. IPS has always had a more conservative nature which may or may not appeal to various people but it is one I can definitely appreciate, understand and respect the mentality. It does lead to a more overall calmer community in my opinion compared to the liberal approach of other platform communities.

• 3 weeks later...

How does a non-licensed 'owner' have access to the software to give any kind of feedback?

Perhaps by being a user of the script at another location and having their OWN forums (even if based upon another script) that they administer so they know when something is not performing as expected?

I'm specifically the user that @Dorian Gray was referring to.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone with genuine interest in our products contact sales and say "I can't give you feedback or get support for a product I don't yet have, why should I purchase?" and as you've seen, many (maybe most?) clients prefer it in its current state. They used to be open ages ago and we closed some of them because clients voiced concerns

Thanks for opening a dialogue on this though. As always, if the overwhelming feedback necessitates a different direction, we're always happy to consider a change. 

Think you have now though.. :tongue:

Of course, it took me going out and purchasing a license for a few of the related IPS items before I could give feedback. :laugh: 

Archived