FAQ System (IPS v4)

1 hour ago, HeadStand said:

Yes, all questions need to be part of at least one collection. 

Thanks for that - sure enough it worked! This is a really good application, @HeadStand. It's very clean and friendly, and I love the use of the Lightbox to do the pop ups. I'll play around with it some more and might will even leave feedback. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey @HeadStand

I have some questions to this wonderful application (maybe they are caused by my stupidity, who knows).

• When I want to add a new question the previous content gets restored, sometimes even for already set and saved questions, which would then delete the original text. So if I want to edit questions I have to copy the text in advance, clear the editor from wrongly loaded content and then edit the text after pasting.
  • Where are the names of the questions pulled from? When I add a new question to a collection by Manage Collections -> Collection Questions I have only empty strings in the drop-down menu. Just one question has a name, but this is not what I entered as question
  • Is it possible to link the list entries of all the collections directly to the specific collection page? Right now it works as an anchor I guess and the page auto-scrolls to the position on the main FAQ page where all the questions for one collection are placed.

I am using IPB 4.1.19.1

Thanks in advance,

Phil

P.S. If my questions are somewhat not clear enough pls ask and I will try to explain it in a different way.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

Is this still being maintained? Interested in purchasing but see above support request back in march does not appear to be answered?

thanks

Yes, it is. I totally missed the previous post! :( 

I'm going to be re-working this app and updating it for 4.2, likely in the next couple of weeks.

At the top of the FAQ System default page the sections are listed and are hyperlinked in a vertical list. When I click one it jumps down the page, but not to the section I click. It only jumps just below the list itself. People report it broken. If not broken and designed that way its counter-intuitive.

When I drill into a sections the questions jump to the answers fine. I've had to remove the default page from the main nav and only link to individual sections.

5 hours ago, Jaymez said:

At the top of the FAQ System default page the sections are listed and are hyperlinked in a vertical list. When I click one it jumps down the page, but not to the section I click. It only jumps just below the list itself. People report it broken. If not broken and designed that way its counter-intuitive.

When I drill into a sections the questions jump to the answers fine. I've had to remove the default page from the main nav and only link to individual sections.

Confirmed for me too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Minor cosmetic updates to conform with version 4.2
  • Added confirmation when deleting questions
  • Editor content did not clear properly. Fixed.
  • Multi-line questions were truncated instead of wrapping. Fixed.
  • Questions are now searchable
  • Questions are now embeddable

Ok....just my luck.  I was hoping my jinx was limited to always picking the grocery items that don't scan correctly, but apparently this extends to IPS apps as well. :frantics:

@HeadStand I just purchased and installed your app since I really really liked some of the demos I saw.  I created two collections, then created questions to place in those collections.  However, when I attempted to save those questions, I got the following crash:

FAQ.thumb.jpg.078e5fbf79af4f65642bfd1ef9d94d63.jpg

Now, Domains is my name for @Kevin Carwile's Collabs app (the full version of which I have on my site).  There is absolutely no possible way I can disable the Collabs app, since it powers so much of what I do on my site in both professional and research capacities.  I'm tagging both yourself and Kevin in the desperate hope that there might be some way to fix this?  Perhaps it's asking too much to request that there be some solution found between two third-party developers...but I am desperately hoping I'm wrong on that as I dearly want to be able to use a professional-looking FAQ system on my site, as it will be going "official" pretty soon.

So (at the risk of tag-spamming), @HeadStand and @Kevin Carwile - help a brother out? :unsure:

For what it's worth, I'm running the latest version (4.2.5) with all IPS modules.

Edited by liquidfractal

Hey @HeadStand

I've tested the new version and it doesn't really seem to work for me. I've updated the old version with "Upload a new version" and I deleted the old version and installed a fresh one.

Unfortunately the language strings seem to be missing for the search function, where only the language keys are displayed, when I search for them in the language pack the system cannot find them. The search itself also does not seem to work. Even when inside the FAQ System the search delivers no results (I just searched for 1 word to be sure).

Another problem I stumbled across is the breadcrumb navigation: When you click on a question to open it (not the anchor in the list which scrolls the site down to question itself) the name of the question is doubled (Questionname -> Questionname). The first of the two names is then set some pixels down so its basically under the actual breadcrum navigation.

Default 4.2 Theme:

faq_bug_1.PNG.573783195222eb1e874dc5e8694ef3a2.PNG

My Custom Theme:

faq_bug_2.PNG.8b3e2f378d958a1eb39aa80286d75f8e.PNG

Edit: Just remembered that the questions opened as a popup in the old version, so the above behaviour is not wanted or are there no popups anymore?

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but right now it does not seem that v3.1 of the application is suitable for production (I've cleared my cache btw just to be sure). I will stick to the older version for now.

IPB: 4.2.5

Best regards,

Phil

Edited by Phil7789