Change UTF8 to UTF8MB4

10 hours ago, dyelton said:

@Lindy Just throwing my $0.02 in there in wanting a 4.1.x UTF8 -> UTF8MB4 converter. I want to use Emojis but can't. My database is quite large as well with 1.3 million posts...several gigs in size. Looking for an official converter from Invision on this one. Help us Obi Wan Lindy!

Same thing here, as many others. Please @Lindy, adjust the database converter script for IPS 4 clients that missed the conversion from IPS 3.4 to IPS 4. I had no idea that the database collation was needed for emojis, and I guess I was not the only one. Thanks!!!

@Batnik You get one shot at the setting up the database. Your only option is restart.

@chilihead The emojis problem came after 4.x was released so there nothing IPS could do for existing IPB clients that had already converted to IPB 4.x. If this is a paid for program you need request your money back. The description of the file should have clearly stated that it would only work with the UTF8MB4 character set. If the seller gives you a hard time then go to IPS, and they will be more than fair. However if you purchased it outside of the Marketplace than you at the mercy of the seller.

Invision Power Systems did a lousy job all the way around on informing their client base on the issue of when to setup UTF8MB4.

Edited by mesteele101

• 2 weeks later...

Due to index size restrictions in MySQL, this does mean we need to re-create a handful of indexes to fit within MySQL’s rules. Using a standard configuration, MySQL allows 767 bytes per index, which for utf8 means 767 bytes / 3 bytes = 255 characters. For utf8mb4, that means 767 bytes / 4 bytes = 191 characters.

im creating a converter now, i will no longer wait for invision, should be done next days.

43 minutes ago, Batnik said:

Due to index size restrictions in MySQL, this does mean we need to re-create a handful of indexes to fit within MySQL’s rules. Using a standard configuration, MySQL allows 767 bytes per index, which for utf8 means 767 bytes / 3 bytes = 255 characters. For utf8mb4, that means 767 bytes / 4 bytes = 191 characters.

im creating a converter now, i will no longer wait for invision, should be done next days.

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this, are IPS silent on it?

I didn't realise that the decision I made when installing would cause so much annoyance. A lot of my users use iPhones etc. and not being able to use the inbuilt emojis annoys them. It's all about keeping user interaction pleasant. Surely it shouldn't be that hard for IPS to update their old converter?

I know they will say they have other things they need to do, but this annoys users... :(

• 1 month later...

I seam to be having problems in getting the converter to run...

I've uploaded the converter files "utf8convert" to root folder on my server.

then when i click on the converter button in get the following could some explain on what to do next.

Thanks

<?php
/**
 * @brief		UTF-8 Conversion
 * @author		<a href='http://www.invisionpower.com'>Invision Power Services, Inc.</a>
 * @copyright	(c) 2001 - SVN_YYYY Invision Power Services, Inc.
 * @license		http://www.invisionpower.com/legal/standards/
 * @package		IPS Tools
 * @since		4 Sept 2013
 * @version		SVN_VERSION_NUMBER
 */

require_once 'init.php';

if ( IS_CLI )
{
	echo "This is designed to be run via your web browser.\nPlease use cli.php to run this conversion utility via command line.\n";
	exit();
}
else
{
	\IPSUtf8\Dispatcher\Browser::i()->run();
}

exit();

• 4 years later...