Messages Support

On 3/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, MIXOH said:

Small visual bug, when options Include global title? and Allow collapse? is Disabled, blank header H3 still displayed. This is a bit confusing markup, especially in the mobile version.

Thanks, noted this change for the next update. Assuming it looks good in the default theme, it will be included.

Edited by Mike John
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 12:30 AM, kmk said:

Hi, the message can be placed in the topic page, the page where show the topic content and replies?

only admin can use it or I can set members to use it?

if I can give members ability to use, is possible they don't have to use it through ACP?

The widget block can be placed in any widget area. So there is a horizontal one at the top of the topic area I believe.

Only admins can use, I will look at adding member support in the future but it's not highly requested and is a big change to implement just for a few people.

On 9/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, kmk said:

is possible show by language too?

Not currently but should be straight forward and noted for the next update.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 9:18 AM, Mike John said:

Ability to set custom message background and text colors.

@Mike John: Can we also choose a custom font awesome icon?

Would it also be possible to add a CKEditor button, so that we can use the message to embed into content? To date, I use a different plugin but I have to manually add the messages. I'm also experiencing issues due it being old now.

However, your application is better suited to what I seek. I can save various templates and customise the messages further. Allowing team members to choose what message is shown, without me having to provide them the code as I do now.

Plus, it cuts the hassle of explaining what people need to do each time someone new does something.

This feature would be awesome.

PS. If we could organise the message into categories that would also be such an awesome addition!

Edited by Joey_M
On 12/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, Joey_M said:

Can we also choose a custom font awesome icon?

Would it also be possible to add a CKEditor button, so that we can use the message to embed into content? To date, I use a different plugin but I have to manually add the messages. I'm also experiencing issues due it being old now.

Both suggestions saved and will be looked into. I'll have to think about the editor button though and the best way to implement it.

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2020 at 5:09 AM, James101 said:

I unchecked the setting to show in all forums. Does this mean it will only show on forum home? Because it still shows in all parts of forums, topic view, etc.

No you can either select to show in all forums or select which forums you want to appear in.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, James101 said:

@Mike John - I am having an issue. I unchecked show in all forums and did not select any forums assuming it would only show on home page but it still shows everywhere?

Yeah that's intended, there's only "show in all forums" or "show in a forum". If you've got ftp access, I can give you a patch to update and only show on the board index until I can add this as an option.

• 3 months later...

@Michael.J - Hey, thank you for updating it to 4.5.

If alright, I would like to offer a suggestion. Is it possible to add a box type - Bubble boxes?
Example - http://prntscr.com/uag39t and http://prntscr.com/uag4g1

I tried researching to add it myself by entering some CSS code in the editor box but I have absolutely no idea about all of that and failed miserably. If you could tell us how to do it it ourselves (if such a thing is possible) or take this as a suggestion to implement in future updates then it would be great!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 5:38 AM, James101 said:

I tried researching to add it myself by entering some CSS code in the editor box but I have absolutely no idea about all of that and failed miserably. If you could tell us how to do it it ourselves (if such a thing is possible) or take this as a suggestion to implement in future updates then it would be great!

If you add your own custom css class to acp > theme editor > css tab > core > front > custom > custom.css

You can then use that class in the message style setting. I'm not very experienced with css design, so don't have any css code you can use.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 1:51 AM, James101 said:

@Michael.J - Hi, thanks for the advice, I will look into it.

On a side note, I have a run into another issue with messages app. When enabled, some parts of the forums are narrowed down - http://prntscr.com/ukwjgs

It become proper when messages app is disabled. 

Had this happen on my 4.5 community using the IPSFocus Dimension theme.  Ended up disabling the theme and making my own, to regain compatibility with the Messages app.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:51 PM, James101 said:

On a side note, I have a run into another issue with messages app. When enabled, some parts of the forums are narrowed down - http://prntscr.com/ukwjgs

On 11/2/2020 at 3:14 AM, Ziggs said:

Had this happen on my 4.5 community using the IPSFocus Dimension theme.  Ended up disabling the theme and making my own, to regain compatibility with the Messages app.

If this is affecting other widgets then it might be a bigger issue with the theme itself. But if this is just affecting the Messages widget, I'll need a copy of the theme or admin login details to take a look and see what it could be.

2 hours ago, Michael.J said:

If this is affecting other widgets then it might be a bigger issue with the theme itself. But if this is just affecting the Messages widget, I'll need a copy of the theme or admin login details to take a look and see what it could be.

Its just affecting different parts of the forums but not other widgets. I have sent you the login details to my ACP through private message.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:33 PM, Michael.J said:

On 11/4/2020 at 12:52 AM, James101 said:

Its just affecting different parts of the forums but not other widgets. I have sent you the login details to my ACP through private message.

@Michael.J what James101 said is accurate for me as well.  Here are a few screen shots showing what happens when Messages is activated and I am using the IPSFocus "Dimension" theme vs when I use the IPS Default theme and a semi-customized version of IPS Default. 

The latter two work just fine with Messages, so I suppose it's entirely possible this is a theme compatibility issue.

Sorry for the blur effect.  This community is somewhat political in nature and it's possible that some members might take offense if I just post screenshots with their names listed.

Stock IPS Default Theme

2020-11-11_8-09-18.thumb.jpg.3a69936527cf80fa81219c4becc9a46b.jpg

Slightly Modified IPS Default Theme

2020-11-11_8-08-35.thumb.jpg.4e2838a6aa5ce941c1152e6b948fcb2a.jpg

IPSFocus "Dimension" Theme

2020-11-11_8-09-00.thumb.jpg.b172baef6f254a6b1a6c4b85b58d5507.jpg

Edited by Ziggs

@Ziggs - Sorry to know you are facing the same issue but thank you for clearing out the probable reason for the issue. It seems like its a theme based issue.

@Michael.J - Do you think there can be a fix from your end? If multiple users are facing similar issue and its theme based then it would be a pain contacting every theme developer to fix the issue on their themes? I have already sent you my ACP logins through a private message. If you could take a look and see if you can fix it directly by making a patch?

Thank you!