Messages Support

On 11/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, liquidfractal said:

Just bought the application - looks good!  I was wondering if there was a fix for the toggle messages ability?

I'm not seeing any issues with the collapse option right now. Could you expand on this?

hNR7O32.png

On 11/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, liquidfractal said:

One other thing: I set up a Message to appear to members who have joined within the last day.  It seems to work so far, but there's a small glitch - it also appears after regular members (including the Admin) have fully logged out of the site.  In fact, it appears to every guest who arrives at the site, when it should really only appear to new Members who have logged in, and only for X amount of days.

I've confirmed this as a bug and provided a manual patch you can apply straight away here.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, liquidfractal said:

I've also noticed something else (not sure if this has already been mentioned): even when all messages are disabled, the Collapse arrow will still display if it's enabled in the AdminCP.  Ideally, of course, it should disappear if there are no enabled images.

Noted as well. This should be an easy template fix if you don't mind testing?

44 minutes ago, Mike John said:

I'm not seeing any issues with the collapse option right now. Could you expand on this?

Oh yeah, sorry - I was referring to what I read above as a past issue.

Anyway, I have two test messages, set to display to all groups in all forums.  When I enable the collapse ("Toggle Messages") arrow in the settings it doesn't work at all.  I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge - all have the same result.

Moreover, I also find that the global test messages do not have a collapse arrow when they display on my site's home page, but the arrow does appear when I browse to the Forums.

Thanks for the fix; I will apply it now.  And yes, I'd be happy to test for you. :)

20 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Anyway, I have two test messages, set to display to all groups in all forums.  When I enable the collapse ("Toggle Messages") arrow in the settings it doesn't work at all.  I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge - all have the same result.

Moreover, I also find that the global test messages do not have a collapse arrow when they display on my site's home page, but the arrow does appear when I browse to the Forums.

Could I either get access to your site or can you let me know what theme your using and also whether your using the fixed global message or any possible messages widget combination of well? I'm having a hard time reproducing this with just the latest version of Firefox.

20 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Thanks for the fix; I will apply it now.  And yes, I'd be happy to test for you. :)

Can you PM me first thing next week so I don't forget about this. Just on the road right now.

19 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

One other thing I noticed: messages I set to appear "in all forums" also appear in other places such as my Profile page and other third-party applications I have installed (e.g. Kevin Carwile's Collabs), when they should by all appearances only appear in the Forums app.

See here. This is also something I can patch up first thing next week.

8 hours ago, Mike John said:

Could I either get access to your site or can you let me know what theme your using and also whether your using the fixed global message or any possible messages widget combination of well? I'm having a hard time reproducing this with just the latest version of Firefox.

I'm using @TAMAN's Magnum theme, and I'm using the global messages without any widgets anywhere on my site.  FYI: just now I tested it with the default IPS blue theme, and the arrow doesn't work there either.

You can see the difference on my homepage: https://liquidfractal.org, where the global message shows without the collapse arrow, and my forums section https://www.liquidfractal.org/forums/ which does feature the (nonoperational) arrow.

If you need more access than this, PM me and I'll set something up.  Thanks!

Edited by liquidfractal
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't remember if this has been discussed at all, but I'd like to see the Message display settings made a little more granular.  In particular, I think it would be useful if there was a separate toggle for the site homepage; I would like to be able to always display a Message or Messages on the home page in addition to choosing individual forums.

I'd also like to see display options extended to other core apps like Downloads, Gallery etc.  Right now I can either limit Message display to certain forums/skins or display it everywhere, so ideally more control over this would be great!

23 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

I can't remember if this has been discussed at all, but I'd like to see the Message display settings made a little more granular.  In particular, I think it would be useful if there was a separate toggle for the site homepage; I would like to be able to always display a Message or Messages on the home page in addition to choosing individual forums.

I'd also like to see display options extended to other core apps like Downloads, Gallery etc.  Right now I can either limit Message display to certain forums/skins or display it everywhere, so ideally more control over this would be great! 

Both suggestions noted. I'm in the middle of a few updates now but the Messages app won't be too far behind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, liquidfractal said:

I've just noticed that the collapse function, when enabled, doesn't display in certain custom themes.  Specifically, I'm using @TAMAN's Magnum theme, and out of three themes I have on my site Magnum is the only one that doesn't display the collapse arrow.  Is there a way to fix this?

I'll need either a copy of the theme or login details for an account that can access this theme? Should just be able to adapt the hooks in the Messages app to also support this theme as well.

7 minutes ago, Mike John said:

I'll need either a copy of the theme or login details for an account that can access this theme? Should just be able to adapt the hooks in the Messages app to also support this theme as well.

Sorry - meant to address this sooner.  Due to other issues I ended up reinstalling said custom theme and the collapse arrow is fine now.

• 6 months later...

I have an issue where I can't edit any messages unless I reduce the size of my screen. Otherwise I risk having a fit because the box just jumps and flashes, this isn't all that important but I would appreciate if you could take a look at the video I'll PM you in a moment.

12 hours ago, Joey_M said:

I have an issue where I can't edit any messages unless I reduce the size of my screen. Otherwise I risk having a fit because the box just jumps and flashes, this isn't all that important but I would appreciate if you could take a look at the video I'll PM you in a moment.

Will check the video as soon as I can.

• 1 month later...

I am using messages 2.3.1 with IPS v.4.3.6.

Like with the previous IPS versions Messages are not visible for guests in the whole system. I double checked every setting in case of permissions and found nothing wrong.
At the moment a user logs in Messages are visible.

Any idea?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, tyreco said:

Like with the previous IPS versions Messages are not visible for guests in the whole system. I double checked every setting in case of permissions and found nothing wrong.
At the moment a user logs in Messages are visible.

Here is a patch for this.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, Fleiding said:

Will this mod be updated to the latest version of IPS soon?

I'm checking all my apps and plugins for IPB 4.4 compatibility now. I should have every ready before or soon after 4.4.0 final is released.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:40 AM, kmk said:

Hello, what is the difference comparing vs ips announcement feature? 

I haven't really used the announcement feature myself, perhaps others can comment better on this.

• 3 weeks later...

@Mike John Small visual bug, when options Include global title? and Allow collapse? is Disabled, blank header H3 still displayed. This is a bit confusing markup, especially in the mobile version.

Maybe like this in \data\theme.xml:

{{else}}
	<h3>
		{{if settings.gms_collapse}}
			<a href='#' class='ipsPos_right ipsJS_show ipsType_noUnderline cMessageToggle' data-action='toggleMessage' data-ipsTooltip title='{lang="gms_toggle_this_message"}'></a>
		{{endif}} &nbsp;
	</h3> 
{{endif}}

replase to:

{{else}}
	{{if settings.gms_collapse}}
		<h3>
			<a href='#' class='ipsPos_right ipsJS_show ipsType_noUnderline cMessageToggle' data-action='toggleMessage' data-ipsTooltip title='{lang="gms_toggle_this_message"}'></a>
			&nbsp;
		</h3>
	{{endif}}					
{{endif}}

Edited by MIXOH