Videos Support

I've just released v3.1.4, this version contains a dozen new bug fixes including a few design and efficiency improvements. See full list of bugs in bug tracker here.

I'm still working on the inclusion of the "Extra Videos" and "Quick Add" features from IPB 3.4 but decided to get the bugs fixed first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Congrats for the job, we've just tested it and this is really nice

What we noticed :

1 - On the videos homepage we want to show the last videos of the category Asia (where there are subcategories for countries like China Thailand etc), the problem is by selecting Asia in the videos feed widget, then it shows nothing, even if there are plenty of videos in the subcategories ! of course nobody would select the "Asia" category as they are subcategories for every countries of Asia, so this is a problem, it should show all videos of all Asia subcategories instead

Same problem when we click on "Asia" in the categories list in the sidebar, it says "no videos here" quite disturbing for the visitor, even if they are many videos in subcagegories, so same here it should show all videos of all Asia subcategories instead

2 - On every video from the Thailand category for instance, i would like to add the last 6 videos of the Thailand category below the video, which makes sense, the problem is if i add a widget for this, then i would show the last 6 videos of the Thailand category below all videos ! not only those of Thailand, so i think the best would be to add by default a box with the last videos of the same category below each video

3 - On the videos feed widget, it would be nice to add a "See all videos from this category" link at the end, which could be optionnal, because now when adding a widget with the last 3 videos of the Thailand category on the videos homepage for instance, there is no way for the visitor to click to see the entire Thailand category

4 - The category list is nice on the videos homepage (now it seems to work perfectly), but when browsing categories or videos, then this block disappear and there is no way to browse categories anymore

So we thought a lot about this and how to improve it, what we thought by looking at other sites having the same problem, a good solution would be to show always all categories in the sidebar, only first level categories, and then if you click on one top level category it shows the subcategories below it, one click again and it hides them

When looking a specific category, then the subcategories would show in the sidebar automatically (but this block should still show all other first level categories so that the visitor can easily switch to another category)

Tx a lot and have a nice day ;)

Edited by Charlie_IPB

1 - On the videos homepage we want to show the last videos of the category Asia (where there are subcategories for countries like China Thailand etc), the problem is by selecting Asia in the videos feed widget, then it shows nothing, even if there are plenty of videos in the subcategories ! of course nobody would select the "Asia" category as they are subcategories for every countries of Asia, so this is a problem, it should show all videos of all Asia subcategories instead

Same problem when we click on "Asia" in the categories list in the sidebar, it says "no videos here" quite disturbing for the visitor, even if they are many videos in subcagegories, so same here it should show all videos of all Asia subcategories instead

The later part is actually a bug, if you've got the "Category Only" setting enabled it should be hiding both video listings and add video buttons. I've logged a bug report here. Regarding the video widgets I'll need to think about this. It should be disabling categories like Asia as content can't be posted in it. Including sub forum support into that widget may be a resource issue.

2 - On every video from the Thailand category for instance, i would like to add the last 6 videos of the Thailand category below the video, which makes sense, the problem is if i add a widget for this, then i would show the last 6 videos of the Thailand category below all videos ! not only those of Thailand, so i think the best would be to add by default a box with the last videos of the same category below each video

Could you just expand a bit on this and what your trying to do?

3 - On the videos feed widget, it would be nice to add a "See all videos from this category" link at the end, which could be optionnal, because now when adding a widget with the last 3 videos of the Thailand category on the videos homepage for instance, there is no way for the visitor to click to see the entire Thailand category

That's a good idea. Maybe if it's triggered if a specific category is selected. It could link directly to that category versus the current view videos page it currently links to. Will note this for the next version.

4 - The category list is nice on the videos homepage (now it seems to work perfectly), but when browsing categories or videos, then this block disappear and there is no way to browse categories anymore

So we thought a lot about this and how to improve it, what we thought by looking at other sites having the same problem, a good solution would be to show always all categories in the sidebar, only first level categories, and then if you click on one top level category it shows the subcategories below it, one click again and it hides them

When looking a specific category, then the subcategories would show in the sidebar automatically (but this block should still show all other first level categories so that the visitor can easily switch to another category)

Couldn't you just add the same widgets to the browse pages as well?

I've gotten some competing feedback on how the categories/sub categories should be served. So anyone who was to provide feedback is open to reply or PM me with their suggestions. Generally I'll use the same approach that the default forums and apps use to maintain the same design standard but if there a better suggestions out there, I'm open to them.

yes please, that would be great. 

Also, will it be styled by the theme I have installed (agile by ips themes) or as its a separate application would I need to style it myself?

I sent you a PM with the test board login details. Let me know if you need further help setting it up.

I'm not aware of any skin issues with the Videos app currently. Generally if the skin is designed well and follows proper standards then it should be compatible with any of my apps. If you've got a skin you would like to try, the demo board includes acp login details so feel free to install the skin to check it's compatible.

Thanks, looks great.

I sent you a PM with the test board login details. Let me know if you need further help setting it up.

I'm not aware of any skin issues with the Videos app currently. Generally if the skin is designed well and follows proper standards then it should be compatible with any of my apps. If you've got a skin you would like to try, the demo board includes acp login details so feel free to install the skin to check it's compatible.

Thanks Mike, tried it, bought it, installed it.

It works great and looks great with the theme.  Just one question so far... in the main area where it lists "New Videos" or you have the option to put "Featured Videos", is there any option to have the categories listed in this way?  Thing is, due to the layout of my site I can't really have the categories where they are as I need the site sponsor's MPU in there.

Cheers.

I know this is the videos support but can i just say mike. the system you use to show videos and the tile/list view etc would work great with articles. You should maybe do another app for those. I know i would buy it because the default ips sucks if you wish to use categories and have a lot of articles.

I've gotten some competing feedback on how the categories/sub categories should be served. So anyone who was to provide feedback is open to reply or PM me with their suggestions. Generally I'll use the same approach that the default forums and apps use to maintain the same design standard but if there a better suggestions out there, I'm open to them.

Just to follow up on my post above, I think it would be great if the categories currently in the sidebar could be a widget, then can be places where desired.

I really like the "latest videos" section, but would also like to be able to have categories, with image/thumbnail in the main part of the site, like on the gallery app. 

It works great and looks great with the theme.  Just one question so far... in the main area where it lists "New Videos" or you have the option to put "Featured Videos", is there any option to have the categories listed in this way?  Thing is, due to the layout of my site I can't really have the categories where they are as I need the site sponsor's MPU in there.

Just to follow up on my post above, I think it would be great if the categories currently in the sidebar could be a widget, then can be places where desired.

I really like the "latest videos" section, but would also like to be able to have categories, with image/thumbnail in the main part of the site, like on the gallery app. 

So just a direct copy of the fixed sidebar categories block into a widget? I was toying with that idea when I first built the home page. Might be an issue if you've got a lot of categories though. I can include a widget next version that is just a copy of the current block if you want?

Like the Gallery albums at the top, like how it shows the latest image from each album? That actually might be a better option and more media focused then the current approach. Let me know if you have any further thoughts on this. The only issue might be if someone had a lot of categories, might need to be some kind of cut off that will link to the view all categories page.

I know this is the videos support but can i just say mike. the system you use to show videos and the tile/list view etc would work great with articles. You should maybe do another app for those. I know i would buy it because the default ips sucks if you wish to use categories and have a lot of articles.

Have you considered the Tutorials app? I try to avoid as much as possible releasing new apps if someone has already built it.

So just a direct copy of the fixed sidebar categories block into a widget? I was toying with that idea when I first built the home page. Might be an issue if you've got a lot of categories though. I can include a widget next version that is just a copy of the current block if you want?

Like the Gallery albums at the top, like how it shows the latest image from each album? That actually might be a better option and more media focused then the current approach. Let me know if you have any further thoughts on this. The only issue might be if someone had a lot of categories, might need to be some kind of cut off that will link to the view all categories page.

Have you considered the Tutorials app? I try to avoid as much as possible releasing new apps if someone has already built it.

Yeh i took a look at that. It does not seem like it would fit. The layout is just not good for an articles page. Im just dreaming i guess. I want an article alternative so bad.

I'll give it another look.

Yes, I think so.  The reason I don't like it being fixed there is because I need something else above it, so being a widget I could move it further down the sidebar, or it could be left off if somebody doesn't want it.  None of the main IPB applications have anything like that, the sidebar is available to be used however somebody wants.

Yes, just like the Gallery page - I think that would look great so that "media" type applications have the same look & feel.

In the admin section you could have checkboxes for the blocks the user wants on the main page ie. Categories, New, Featured - perhaps with the abilty to change sort order.  Then if somebody has loads of categories they can choose whether or not they want to show them or not, if they like how it looks or not.

Another option could be to allow user to feature either videos or categories, so if they have a lot of categories they could just choose the main ones they want to feature.

Allows your members to submit their own videos for community viewing. Support is included for all the major video sites.

Hey mike, I have a question some of my members like to share the videos on social media and some issues arise around how they share. Im wondering it its possible to make these display a on image om facebook using the thumbnail. Any idea's? just to make them more appealing when shared.

Edited by Netherlord

Hey mike, I have a question some of my members like to share the videos on social media and some issues arise around how they share. Im wondering it its possible to make these display a on image om facebook using the thumbnail. Any idea's? just to make them more appealing when shared.

I've logged a bug report and will see if this is possible next version. Ideally the share links would utilize the thumbnail already but will see if I'm missing something.