Birthday Greeter Support

• 2 months later...

Season's Greetings @Mike John

Just a few suggestions for Birthday Greeter, if that's okay! 

When the Birthday Greeter sends out an auto birthday email, if there is also a birthday topic that gets/got created, perhaps the email could also include a link to it? This way an absent member would be even more likely to visit the forum if they know there's a topic with greetings.

(This occurred to me because I think we had such a member visit this week after their birthday, but they didn't choose to post in their birthday topic, and I wondered if they'd missed it for some reason.)

Secondly, I wondered if it was possible for the birthday topic to include a tag with the person's name? Before birthday greeter, I used to add a tag like 'Happy Birthday membername' to birthday topics, which was handy as we could click to see previous years greetings.

Last suggestion!  The birthday topics only have one template, so all topics look the same and contain the same message and images/emoji. If we could add up to say 3, or maybe 5 topic templates and birthday greeter used 1 at random, it would add some more variety, they'd have a less automated, more personal feel.

Thanks!

P.S. I lied. Here's another one. Through the use of extra language strings, perhaps the birthday greeter could also optionally send out anniversary greetings based on a member's join date?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, The Old Man said:

When the Birthday Greeter sends out an auto birthday email, if there is also a birthday topic that gets/got created, perhaps the email could also include a link to it? This way an absent member would be even more likely to visit the forum if they know there's a topic with greetings.

This shouldn't be a problem, noted this for a future update.

Secondly, I wondered if it was possible for the birthday topic to include a tag with the person's name? Before birthday greeter, I used to add a tag like 'Happy Birthday membername' to birthday topics, which was handy as we could click to see previous years greetings.

Like the tag mentions? @The Old Man

Last suggestion!  The birthday topics only have one template, so all topics look the same and contain the same message and images/emoji. If we could add up to say 3, or maybe 5 topic templates and birthday greeter used 1 at random, it would add some more variety, they'd have a less automated, more personal feel.

If there's enough demand for this, I'll consider it. If it's just birthday topics, then adding a few additional message settings shouldn't be a problem. But adding multiple settings for personal messages, topics, emails etc... does take some time.

P.S. I lied. Here's another one. Through the use of extra language strings, perhaps the birthday greeter could also optionally send out anniversary greetings based on a member's join date?

Possibly... But it might just be easier to have something dedicated to anniversaries instead.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:04 AM, Mike John said:

This shouldn't be a problem, noted this for a future update.

Great, thanks Michael!

Like the tag mentions? @The Old Man

Well I was actually thinking the tags which you can add to a topic. The ones that get separated with a comma if you add more than one.

If there's enough demand for this, I'll consider it. If it's just birthday topics, then adding a few additional message settings shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, just for the topic template that you set up in the AdminCP. Currently every Birthday topic's first post looks identical, but if as an admin we could create a few templates instead of just the current one template (with varying fonts, images or wording), the it would add a bit more variety as the app would choose one at random each time it created the topic.

Thanks Mike, have a great New Year!

7 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Well I was actually thinking the tags which you can add to a topic. The ones that get separated with a comma if you add more than one.

That's an interesting one. Are you using daily birthday topics or new topics per member? If you've got ftp access, I might be able to put together something you can try. Would anyone else find this useful?

7 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Yes, just for the topic template that you set up in the AdminCP. Currently every Birthday topic's first post looks identical, but if as an admin we could create a few templates instead of just the current one template (with varying fonts, images or wording), the it would add a bit more variety as the app would choose one at random each time it created the topic.

Any other criteria to what template is used or just purely random? It's not as versatile as a database section to manage templates but I think I could probably do this with 5 or so fixed template fields. e.g. https://www.devfuse.com/public/screenshots/image_1574836464.png

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 4:32 AM, Square Wheels said:

Is this 4.5 compatible?

Yep has been tested and updated for IPB 4.5.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:55 PM, Mercury5 said:

Strange but it hasn't added the members birthday today. 

Didn't display in the widget or send out any birthday alerts? Has the problem repeated or was just a once off?

On 10/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, Guitar Gathering said:

Trying to update this for the latest IPBoard update and when I try to update this application it says "Something Went Wrong" and won't let me continue.

Is there any other detailed error with that? Are you updating this app manually or using the new IPS Marketplace update feature?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, kasperskyclub.ru said:

This app sends greetings to users who had a birthday yesterday. My time zone is GMT +3.

Unfortunately, no integration with Members Shop.

Have you adjusted the time settings to suit your local timezone? It should then only run the task at those selected times.

https://i.imgur.com/bVz2eJS.png

You'll need to speak to that apps author regarding integration.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...